BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 19, 2015 2:43 am  #1

Kenneth Branagh’s Hamlet (1996)

I recently bought it on DVD and loved it. A sumptuous and engrossing epic. In this version, it is completely unabridged. Branagh included all of William Shakespeare’s recorded text omitting not a single line or scene from the original play. It is four hours long but don’t let it intimidate you. Time flies pretty quickly as it is that good.

The 19th century setting does work quite well for the story as it is a national tragedy as well as a domestic one. The photography is breathtaking and the sets are lavish. Branagh is quite moving and commanding as the Danish Prince. Derek Jacobi and Kate Winslet are terrific in it as well. It also features appearances by Hollywood stars such as Robin Williams, Charlton Heston, Billy Crystal, and Jack Lemmon.

It is certainly worth checking out for those that are going to see Benedict’s Hamlet just so you can familiarize yourself with the story before seeing it and to give you something that you can compare it too. I can also recommend Branagh’s versions of “Henry V” (1989) and “Much Ado About Nothing” (1993). All I can say is that no one adapts the Bard on film better than him.

Last edited by BrettHolmes (June 20, 2015 3:17 am)

June 19, 2015 7:19 am  #2

Re: Kenneth Branagh’s Hamlet (1996)

I agree, Branagh's adaptations of Shakespeare have never disappointed me. I can't really say how often I've watched "Much ado about nothing". And his "Hamlet" left me breathless when I watched it at the movies, it was a wonderful experience. The setting really works perfectly, and I love the fact that you get the whole play. Branagh might already have been a bit too old for the role though, but that is something I can ignore without difficulty if it feels right. And it does. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 19, 2015 10:12 am  #3

I love Branagh's Shakespeare films and most of all "Henry V". I even started writing my thesis on it because I loved the film so much, especially when compared it to Olivier's overly patriotic version. 

Same goes for "Much Ado", wonderful film with a lush Tuscany setting. IMO some of the actors were less impressive in their Shakespearean roles and were probably cast for the names, e.g. Keanu Reeves, but I really liked Michael Keaton's mad Dogberry. And the verbal sparrings between Branagh and Thompson are brilliant. 

And as for "Hamlet" - I always cry at the "fall of a sparrow" scene. So beautiful and heartbreaking. I remember I first watched the film in a tropically hot cinema in the middle of summer and really enjoyed the snow and ice all around. 

Solar, Branagh was three years younger than Benedict is  now when he made the film. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 19, 2015 10:25 am  #4

SusiGo wrote:

Solar, Branagh was three years younger than Benedict is  now when he made the film. 

Really? Well... Benedict definitely looks younger. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

June 19, 2015 1:44 pm  #5

Branagh just has Shakespeare in his veins.  Much Ado About Nothing is not only one of my favorite Shakespeare adaptation but one of my all time favorite romantic movies.  When Ken looks at Em and says "I do love nothing in the world so much as you."  I'm a puddle.

And his Hamlet is one of the most brilliant ever made.  I saw it in the cinema on my own and was totally lost in it the whole 4 hours.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 19, 2015 1:55 pm  #6

By the way, I absolutely love his "Love's Labour's Lost". Doing this as a musical is just so charming...!

June 19, 2015 2:47 pm  #7

Still have to watch that one. 

And I love his Henry so much that I could not really concentrate on the Hollow Crown H5, Hiddleston notwithstanding. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 23, 2015 8:44 pm  #8

We watched the Kenneth Brannagh Hamlet when we read it at school last year.  I really liked it as well, I do remember some parts bringing tears to my eyes, although it was over a year ago so I don't remember exactly when.  Brannagh is great. Did not know he was actually younger than Benedict is now, though I suppose that's not much of a difference.  He looked younger then, but I would say Benedict is more youthful looking.  Luckily with Shakespeare characters their specific age isn't give, at least not for Hamlet.  All we know is that he's back from going to university, but depending on how far along that could be any age (plus I don't know how old students would have been at the time).

Clueing for looks.

June 24, 2015 4:23 am  #9

Yes, I think his age is not quite clear. However, to me Branagh always felt to be a bit too old in the role - but that's probably just my intuition.
Nevertheless, Wikipedia has something to say about it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Hamlet

June 27, 2015 1:42 am  #10

Branagh was also very good as Iago in Othello, which starred Laurence Fishburne

I've haven't seen much of his non-Shakespeare work (I still need to see "Frankenstein"). I do remember really liking Dead Again and also thought that Thor was certainly among one of the better super-hero films. He was also great as Gilderoy Lockheart in Harry Potter too.

June 27, 2015 8:00 am  #11

I would always recommend "Peter's Friends", it's one of my all-time favourite movies. You laugh, you cry and it all feels so true. And apart from Branagh you also get Stephen Fry, Emma Thompson, Hugh Laurie, Imelda Staunton... It's a film I can watch again and again and again.

June 27, 2015 5:53 pm  #12

Such a wonderful film, I love it so much. Very sad that they did not put the lovely song they sing together on the soundtrack. I miss it very much. "The way you look tonight" or something like that.

June 27, 2015 8:30 pm  #13

Yes, that song and the whole scene that comes with it is wonderful...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W6JKXYxIUQ

Board footera