BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 12, 2015 4:36 pm  #1

Steven Moffat to be awarded OBE

As well as BC getting his CBE Steven Moffet is also on the Queen's Birthday Honour List to be awarded an OBE (Order of the British Empire) -

http://www.newspusher.com/EN/post/1434111961-3/strict-emb-until-22-30-steven-moffat-to-receive-an-obe-from-the-queen.html

This will also be officially announced when the news embargo is lifted at 10:30 pm London time tonight.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

June 12, 2015 5:19 pm  #2

Re: Steven Moffat to be awarded OBE

Ooh, I hadn't heard that! This is excellent. (Consider--a man who, in his own words, writes fanfiction for a living is being awarded an OBE!)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

June 12, 2015 6:49 pm  #3

I'm happy as well Moffat gets rewarded. 
Anyhow I feel that everybody who is not happy with developments of characters, creative decisions or character treats should be free to voice his or her personal opinion without the fear of an eye roll. Everybody who is fine with everything at present should consider that there might be fans who fell in love and are heartbroken.

Last edited by mrshouse (June 12, 2015 6:52 pm)

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

June 12, 2015 8:32 pm  #4

I have no idea what your original comment was, Ah-chie, but I feel that your sarcasm is not justified by anything I have read in this thread. 

Last edited by SusiGo (June 12, 2015 8:52 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 12, 2015 8:37 pm  #5

Ah-chie wrote:

and thus would have a sense of being stymied from starting any more threads slamming the writing/creators of the show.  Thanks for making me aware of their plight.

Interesting choice of words. Where did anyone on this board ever slam the writers/creators...? People voice their opinions, yes, but I think everybody here who has been on the board for a while and participates on a regular basis has always been doing this with respect.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 12, 2015 8:38 pm  #6

I have no idea what you are talking about, Ahchie, but I would not accept an apology in this tone.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 12, 2015 9:26 pm  #7

I have deleted all my offending posts.  Hope this helps.

Sorry to have made the joke in the first place.

Lesson learned.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

June 12, 2015 10:39 pm  #8

Here's the official notification from the London Gazette for Steven Moffat's OBE...

The link will take you to Page B2 so you have to click at the top and go to page B14 to find Moffat's name - it's 11th from the top on the left hand side of the page.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/61256/supplement/B2

He has received his honour for "services to Drama".

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

June 12, 2015 10:59 pm  #9

Here's a link to an interview given by Moffat about being awarded the OBE .  You have to scroll down through the article until you get to the section titled "High Profile Leaks" and there is a clickable picture of Moffat with the video embeded in it.

He also is asked at the end about Ben's honour and responds with a pretty funny remark (at least I thought it was funny)...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33109755

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

June 13, 2015 6:54 am  #10

Wonderful news! I'm really happy for him. 

Lol, lovely comment about Ben. Love his humour!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 13, 2015 8:02 am  #11

Yes, funny and loving appreciation for Benedict and congrats to Steven for this great honour. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 13, 2015 10:42 am  #12

That's wonderful :-) I like how he doesn't make a big deal of it but it's still apparent he's very happy about it.
His comment about Benedict had me laughing, too. He's got a point there :D

"It is what it is."

June 15, 2015 6:29 pm  #13

Belatedly adding that this is so awesome… love that they have long-time honours for this kind of thing.  And Moffat and BC and Ejiofor and Spacey and all!  (and any others we know or enjoy?  haven't read through the whole list yet).  What was Moffat's comment?  Thought it was cute he joked about figuring 'he had one already', and then something about the moon?

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

June 20, 2015 6:47 pm  #14

Interesting development that both himself and Benedict will be honoured this year.
I love Sherlock and some of the newer Doctor Who episodes, so I don't think I can say that I hate Stephen, though I have read some very bad things about him, and I'm still not sure whether he is the bad person that some people make him out to be.  Because of that, I know that there are going to be people who don't think he deserves this.
But putting that aside, if we are looking at his contributions alone, he successfully brought Sherlock Holmes to the present while also creating something new.  He has both honoured past writers' characters as well as creating something of his own that is very enjoyable to watch.  And for that in itself, I can't see much that is not undeserving of some praise.  Interesting that he is getting this high honour.  I unfortunately don't know anything about him besides those two shows, so I cannot say for sure whether I think he deserves this particular honour, but I can say that he deserves recognition for something.
I don't mean to be negative and I hope you don't take this the wrong way, it's just that I've heard mixed opinions about him and have not yet come up with my own solid opinion.

Clueing for looks.

June 20, 2015 6:52 pm  #15

Most big names have mixed opinions of them. I have no idea what is being said about Stephen, but in general I never listen to what I read in media and/or online. It's often rumours, exaggerated or one-sided. And sometimes, we all do or say things that makes us an arse. I know I have, and so have probably you, Stephen and everybody else. Nobody is perfect, but celebs are supposed to be. I disagree with that notion.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 20, 2015 7:05 pm  #16

Yes, I would agre that we can't expect anyone to be perfect.  There are things that are difficult to forgive though if there's no sign of the person having changed. Celebrities are given fewer chances to be forgiven.  But everyone, like you said, has made mistakes and we can't dwell on them too much in many cases.  I don't know about Stephen, though, which is why I can't say for sure whetehr I agree with people who don't like him.  I like his work, which is really all I care about right now. 

Clueing for looks.

June 20, 2015 7:11 pm  #17

There also seem to be quite a lot of people who said that Benedict doesn't deserve this honour, at least not yet. Too young, not enough good works to show, thinks like that.
So..... *shrugs*

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 20, 2015 7:15 pm  #18

Also, if rumours are not proven, it might be fair not to spread them further.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 21, 2015 7:01 pm  #19

Wonderful news about Steven. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera