BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2015 10:11 am  #41

Re: Broadchurch (Spoilers!)

Sorry, but I am not a Tennant fangirl. I really like him as an actor but I suppose he will never be someone who makes my heart beat faster. I can only stay true to one man. 

Mark and Tom: No idea if it has to do with the fact that I have a son myself. It just strikes me as unhealthy, not in a sexual sense but because I do get the feeling that Mark gets something from Tom while Tom seems quite detached towards Mark. Not sure what he expects from this but I am not sure it is paternal affection. We will see. 

Yes, Claire was behind Ellie getting drunk and sleeping with a stranger which seems to be quite ouf ot character. There is something strange going on. And she does not strike me as the poor blameless wife threatened by the evil husband. 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 22, 2015 10:11 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 22, 2015 12:21 pm  #42

SusiGo wrote:

Sorry, but I am not a Tennant fangirl. I really like him as an actor but I suppose he will never be someone who makes my heart beat faster. I can only stay true to one man. 

It's all fine. 

SusiGo wrote:

Mark and Tom: No idea if it has to do with the fact that I have a son myself. It just strikes me as unhealthy, not in a sexual sense but because I do get the feeling that Mark gets something from Tom while Tom seems quite detached towards Mark. Not sure what he expects from this but I am not sure it is paternal affection. We will see.

We haven't seen a whole lot of Tom yet, so it's hard to tell what his motivation might be. We know that he doesn't have any contact to Ellie nor Joe, so both his parents are out of the picture right now. Maybe he wants to get back at them somehow by having contact wirth Mark? But they don't even know about it (yet), so... really hard to tell. And if Mark was being honest while holding his newborn daugther in his arms and talking about protection and that she'll be loved so much, then for me that would mean that he spends a lot of time at home with his family from now on. Where would that leave Tom?

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, Claire was behind Ellie getting drunk and sleeping with a stranger which seems to be quite ouf ot character. There is something strange going on. And she does not strike me as the poor blameless wife threatened by the evil husband.

There is something strange going on with Claire, I can feel it. She's definitely not as innocent as she seemed to be at first sight. If Lee really has something to do with the Sandbrook case, so does Claire, I'm sure of it.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 22, 2015 12:26 pm  #43

Yes, Tom seemed a bit enigmatic in series 1 as well. And somehow distant from his parents. Lonely. I would like to know more about him. 

And btw, where is Fred? And who is looking after him and Tom? It cannot be Ellie because she spends a lot of time in Broadchurch and at court instead of being in Devon where she works now. Not sure I got that right from ep. 1. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 22, 2015 4:11 pm  #44

I'm not sure about Fred, but Tom doesn't want to see Ellie. It was said in episode 1 that he is staying with Ellie's sister. We have seen Fred in the first episode, Ellie brought him with her to the house in which Claire is hiding. But apart from that, I have no idea who is looking after him. He is in some sort of childcare though, after Ellie's appointment at the therapist she says to Alec that she has to pick him up.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 22, 2015 6:09 pm  #45

I have to admit, the melodrama is getting to me a bit (not to mention the unbelievability of the trial- a judge cannot FORCE a wife to testify against her spouse, that's basic law).  But the hatred towards Ellie is rather unbelievable and really over the top.

I just hate it because I loved the first series...but they are really going overboard in this series to try and top it.  Wish they had pulled back some.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 27, 2015 10:30 am  #46

Let me just say that I liked yesterday's episode very much, although I had the feeling they tried to stuff a lot of different things into those 45 minutes. What really starts to get on my nerves a bit are those recurring 'surprises' in court... it's not very realistic that new evidence and new witnesses seem to pop up out of the blue, without the opposing party knowing very much (if anything) about it. It kind of makes sense that Sharon tries to turn Nigel into the killer now... I just hope that Jocelyn will ask the right questions about that in the next epsiode. 

Apart from that: I like that we get to know a bit more about Alec's past - although I think it's a bit dangerous for the flow and the tension of the show to open too many battlefields at once. Here Broadchurch, there Sandbrook... right now it's a bit like two stories which are running side by side but not together. 
But I loved all those Alec moments we got in this epsisode, starting with the very first scene when he's having a nightmare. Then the scene in the car when he's talking about how he found Pippa's body and then later in the hotel and with his wife and daughter. 
(And the longer I look at those gifs, the more I'm reminded of John at the beginning of ASiP...)

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 27, 2015 10:32 am)

January 27, 2015 8:54 pm  #47

I liked all of Alec's scenes. And I agree that there is very much material squeezed into 45 minutes and that Sandbrook and the Broadchurch run parallel with Alec being the only connection. But all in all a very interesting episode and Ricky as a new suspect is an unexpected turn. I liked the shot on the bluebell pic hanging on his office wall. 

But there is one thing that really annoys me - who on earth would leave a traumatised 13- or 14-year-old boy alone so very often? Is his aunt an adequate substitute for a parent? I believe not. So we have him alone in the trailer and now Mark has left him as well. Having a son who is only slightly older this really hurts me. Tom is a victim, too, but nobody cares for him. Even Susan sends him away. I fear he is a ticking bomb. 

January 27, 2015 9:22 pm  #48

Oh, I think Ellie cares for him very, very much and would love to see him (and live with him!) more than anything else in the world. But it was made clear in the first episode that he refuses to have any contact with her. But I agree, it's a bit not good, and I think they really need to show us an attempt from Ellie to establish contact with him again. We should at least see her give it a try.
And I don't think that Ellie's sister is an adequate substitute for Ellie.
(But she gave us a great quote in this episode: "Harder, Hardy!")

February 17, 2015 10:35 am  #49

Oh wow, so if anyone wants to see a tv show that gives you some Johnlock feelings and isn't "Sherlock", you should watch Broadchurch. Or at least season 2, episode 7. Or better the whole season. That's a very nice example of how you can include characters in a tv show that don't say openly "Hey, I'm gay!", but where you have some subtext - and then they finally kiss. Wonderful.  

Last edited by SolarSystem (February 17, 2015 10:36 am)

February 17, 2015 2:15 pm  #50

Oh. God. Yes. 

And such a beautiful scene between two older women which is very unusual in itself. 

February 17, 2015 3:06 pm  #51

SusiGo wrote:

Oh. God. Yes. 
And such a beautiful scene between two older women which is very unusual in itself. 

That's true. And the chemistry between those two ladies is wonderful.
I already liked the character of Maggie very much in the first season, because I had the impression that she does have a certain kind of professional ethics. It was easy to believe that she has seen lots of things in the past and tries to share her experience with stupid little Olly.

But it seems that kiss took most viewers by surprise:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/broadchurch-lesbian-kiss-viewers-surprised-5177850

Last edited by SolarSystem (February 17, 2015 3:07 pm)

February 17, 2015 5:22 pm  #52

These reactions are frankly stupid.

May 1, 2015 2:03 am  #53

I really enjoyed both seasons of this show, though it did bring me to tears a few times and left me feeling emotionally drained (though that's nothing new what with being a Sherlock fan).

It made sense for them to deal with Joe's case and I loved that they went back and gave closure to the one that brought Hardy to Broadchurch to begin with.

I know they confirmed a third season so I'm very curious to see what it will be about.

June 8, 2015 5:15 pm  #54

I have just finished watching the first season of Broadchurch and really enjoyed it.  Didn't even recognise Andrew Buchan - he looked very different to me from when he played in The Sinking of the Laconia.  Really loved Jodo Whittaker in her role as Beth (I did recognise her from when I watched her in The Smoke with Jamie Bamber).  This is also the first time I have seen David Tennant in anything and thought he was excellent.  And of course Olivia Coleman was super!

I don't know when we will be able to see the second season - only series one is available to us right now.  So I was very careful not to look too hard at all the posts in this thread (I knew from the title that spoilers would be in the thread). 

I will definitely be interested in seeing more of this show.  I also loved, loved, loved the photography and music in this show. 

Oh, and I forgot to add that I had a little start when I saw the coat that the vicar was wearing and thought it looked a lot like the coat that Ben wears (a Belstaff Roadmaster) on occasion...

If it isn't the exact same coat it is a lot like it. 

Still, just gorgeous all the same!

-Val

Last edited by Ah-chie (June 8, 2015 5:38 pm)

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

March 10, 2017 4:59 pm  #55

I'd love to hear your thoughts about the third (and sadly final) series. I love it, I think it's better than the second one so far, the new case is very moving and compelling (and the victim is still alive, which is new and refreshing). I think they incorporated old characters rather well and I'm glad it looks like Danny's case is finally behind us.

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

March 14, 2017 6:48 am  #56

Pav wrote:

and I'm glad it looks like Danny's case is finally behind us.

Sadly that doesn't seem to be the case. Mark is a real pain in the ass, if you ask me... it's almost as if he's obsessed. On the one hand I understand him, but on the other hand I just wanna slap him in the face. And in terms of the whole show it somehow doesn't feel right to return to this on such a huge scale. I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the lawyer from S2 (forgot his name....) in yesterday's episode.
But apart from that I absolutely love S3 so far. The dynamics between Alec and Ellie are getting better and better, all of their scenes together are pure joy to me. There have been so many highlights already, I can't wait to see what will come next.
The case is also very gripping. The first half of the first episode was beyond brilliant, great writing, great acting. If they can keep this up until the end of S3 it'll be very, very hard to let go of this show.  

March 23, 2017 10:47 am  #57

The 4th episode was amazing! Alec and Ellie are the best. Their scenes are highlights for me as well. I also love Ellie's facial expressions. And the date was hilarious, I couldn't stop laughing. You're right, it seems Danny's case is not behind us. I hope the series will end with Mark finally accepting his death and moving on. As for the suspects, they keep adding more and more, it's so frustrating! And I'm really curious: what happened to Alec's daughter? I hope we'll find out soon.

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

March 23, 2017 11:51 am  #58

Pav wrote:

And I'm really curious: what happened to Alec's daughter? I hope we'll find out soon.

Maybe it has something to do with "the boys"?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

March 23, 2017 2:06 pm  #59

I'm sure we will find out about Daisy sooner or later, Chris Chibnall certainly wouldn't open that door and then not deliver any answers.
And I agree, episode 4 was wonderful. Even more beautiful and funny scenes with Alec and Ellie - they really behave like an old married couple. It's a highlight for me to watch Ellie make fun of Alec and to see Alec's grumpy reactions.

I only wish there'd be the possibility for another season... I already know for sure that I'll crave for more once season 3 is over.   

Last edited by SolarSystem (March 23, 2017 2:59 pm)

March 24, 2017 8:39 am  #60

Solar "forced" me to write something in here... so here I am.
Really enjoyed S3 so far. I'm glad that they were able to keep the atmosphere which I really love about that show. This time not choosing a murder for the case is something different and shows that it nevertheless can be very thrilling.
What can I say about Ellie and Alec? Just love them. How they interact with each other... just funny but also serious, when it comes to a point which needs it. 
Yes, Solar, they are like an old married couple.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

Board footera