BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 16, 2015 6:13 pm  #101

Re: What is it with Sherlock and Irene?

Liberty wrote:

I kind of agree with both .. I think he's gobsmacked by seeing her naked because he didn't expect her to be so clever.  But later, he's flustered and stumbles over his words trying to attract her attention towards him. 

Of course he does.  Sherlock is an attention whore and must be the center of the room.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 16, 2015 6:53 pm  #102

tonnaree wrote:

Liberty wrote:

I kind of agree with both .. I think he's gobsmacked by seeing her naked because he didn't expect her to be so clever.  But later, he's flustered and stumbles over his words trying to attract her attention towards him. 

Of course he does.  Sherlock is an attention whore and must be the center of the room.

But he doesn't tend to do that with other people - just Irene. 

(Here's a quote from the commentary from http://arianedevere.livejournal.com/
Benedict seems to confirm that the stumbling is deliberate and about Irene in particular:
Benedict: “I do love the only moment [Sherlock] verbally stumbles – and I sort of did it deliberately – was because [he] sensed a bit of competition in Watson starting to turn on the charm, and in trying to desperately get in there to impress you, I went, [he talks gibberish].”)

April 16, 2015 8:03 pm  #103

tonnaree wrote:

Can we acknowledge that, regardless of the gender and sexual orientation of the participants, if you're waiting for a meeting with someone you've never met and they walk in naked, you're going to be shocked and flustered.  I don't necessarily see attraction in Sherlock's reaction. ...

That would certainly be normal human behaviour, I agree. But how much of that does Sherlock normally show?

Incidentally, I had originally written "a purely physical reaction" - that's different from attraction in my book!  Though I do believe that there is attraction as well, at some point. (And that could be either sexual attraction, or the attraction of a gay man to her intelligence and determination - as you like.)

April 17, 2015 4:28 am  #104

Kittyhawk wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Can we acknowledge that, regardless of the gender and sexual orientation of the participants, if you're waiting for a meeting with someone you've never met and they walk in naked, you're going to be shocked and flustered.  I don't necessarily see attraction in Sherlock's reaction. ...

That would certainly be normal human behaviour, I agree. But how much of that does Sherlock normally show?

Incidentally, I had originally written "a purely physical reaction" - that's different from attraction in my book!  Though I do believe that there is attraction as well, at some point. (And that could be either sexual attraction, or the attraction of a gay man to her intelligence and determination - as you like.)

We desperately need John coming into the living room naked so we can observe Sherlock's reactions.

For science!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

April 17, 2015 9:59 am  #105

I agree!

April 17, 2015 10:05 am  #106

Schmiezi wrote:

We desperately need John coming into the living room naked so we can observe Sherlock's reactions.

For science!

YESSSSS!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 17, 2015 11:26 am  #107

I would like to third the motion for Naked John.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 17, 2015 5:02 pm  #108

Of course, for science, and to cover all the bases, we should then also have a naked Sherlock walking towards John and/or Irene...

April 17, 2015 5:07 pm  #109

Of course, solid scientific basis. Randomization, double blind studies, placebos and all that stuff
Not to forget the go by the ethical commission and the statistics department...

Last edited by mrshouse (April 17, 2015 5:09 pm)

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

April 17, 2015 5:26 pm  #110

Placebos??? 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 17, 2015 5:42 pm  #111

Sure, you know, Irene...

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

April 17, 2015 7:22 pm  #112

Naked John walking toward naked Sherlock.
Isn't this what we've been asking for all along?!?!?

TOPIC!

One day Sherlock met a woman named Irene.  She was naked and distracted Sherlock.

DISCUSS

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 18, 2015 4:27 pm  #113

I thought the topic was "What is it with Sherlock and Irene"?

Because at the end (i. e. after the aircraft - before the beheading) she's clothed (in a rather amazing dress, I think), but I wonder whether Sherlock is  jealous that she asked Moriarty for help. He's sitting there looking all resigned and depressed, hears "Moriarty",  pulls himself immediately together and finds the password. I'm tempted to think he would have let her get away if she hadn't asked Moriarty for help.

Actually, I have no problem seeing Sherlock teaming up with Irene to expose the government conspiracy - but that's really outside this thread. I'll try to find a better one.

June 2, 2015 1:01 pm  #114

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 2, 2015 2:14 pm  #115

Oh god that makes me laugh.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 2, 2015 2:32 pm  #116

Great find, Susi - thanks for posting!  I'd read the description of the scene before but hadn't read Steven's other comments.  I love the idea of Sherlock trying to act as if he just happened to be be passing and didn't know Irene was there, and particularly like the clothes switch at the end.  Of course Irene could have got a costume from one of the bodies, but that wouldn't have been nearly as good as echoing their first scene together (and I like the symbolism of Sherlock being exposed). 

I know not everybody was happy that Irene didn't win in the end, so maybe this would have worked better.  But even in the original episode, it's a draw at least - she gets freedom and safety in the end, with Sherlock helping her to essentially fake her death yet again, and Sherlock does almost lose by caring too.  I'd love to have seen this filmed.   But judging from what Steven says, it wasn't actually written when S2 was filmed.  (Although I suppose they could even get away with doing it in flashback, if they ever decide to bring Irene back?).

June 3, 2015 1:59 pm  #117

Or film it now and include the footage on the 10th anniversary DVD... (though in my headcanon they were never in Karachi at all, but somewhere in the Midlands - thanks, Wellingtongoose!)

(OT: Incidentally Steven Moffat has just confirmed that CAM is not the first person Sherlock kills).

June 3, 2015 2:08 pm  #118

The Radio Times has just pissed me off!  Damndable clickbait.

They run this headline "Sherlock and Irene Adler meet up every six months for a night of passion revels Stephen Moffat."

With this article:  http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-06-03/sherlock-and-irene-adler-meet-up-every-six-months-for-a-night-of-passion-reveals-steven-moffat

Now, I hate to be nitpicky, but that's what we do. 

The headline says that Sherlock and Irene SHARE A NIGHT OF PASSION every six months.

This is what Moffat ACTUALLY SAID:

"And so Sherlock is left naked and Irene runs off dressed as him...
"And something like that happens between Irene and Sherlock every six months and THAT is their idea of a night of passion."

You know there will be people who read the headline and skip the article and use this are pro-sherlock/irene evidance from the creators.  But it's really not. Words are important and the small change in phrasing for the headline makes it mean an entirely different thing.  IMO

Last edited by tonnaree (June 3, 2015 2:10 pm)

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 3, 2015 2:59 pm  #119

Yes, I hate these clickbait articles as well. There was one from another source promising new revelations about series 4 and it was just the same old stuff over and over again. But changing the wording is even worse. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 3, 2015 4:21 pm  #120

At least "a night of passion" is in inverted commas - it's clear it's not the usual meaning of a night of passion!

Board footera