BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 8, 2012 8:04 am  #1

Sebastian Moran?

Okay, yes, as my username and signature imply and say respectively, Sebastian Moran is one of my favourite characters in the books. Think he'll be incorporated into series three? I really hope so. Gatiss keeps hinting at it, anyway, so I can only hope. Thoughts?

-

July 8, 2012 8:14 am  #2

Re: Sebastian Moran?

Well he is sure to be a the only story he ever really featured in was The Adventure of the Empty House.
He was an elderly man in the book, no doubt that will change in the BBC version. I don't think we will find him to be featured anywhere near as much as Moriarty was. He wasn't a particularly rounded character at all, so I am not sure what you base your favouritism for him on.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 8, 2012 8:24 am  #3

I know, I know. But if I read about a character in a story, if I like the character - no matter how small his or her part is - I will think about him/her more and form a sort of image of what they would be like, and their backstory, and eventually I just end up absolutely loving the character as if they were a main character. Also, the whole idea of Moran is brilliant, so I would love to see Moffat and Gatiss' take on him, as I loved Paul Anderson's portrayal in Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.

-

July 8, 2012 2:36 pm  #4

Moran, glad to see you posting already.

Moriarty really didn't show up in many stories in the canon, either, but Moftiss and Andrew did amazing things with the character. I look forward to seeing how Moftiss weild their magic in season 3.

July 16, 2012 11:57 am  #5

Sebastian has definitely got to be in The Empty House, it will be exciting to see who will be playing him. I am guessing it might not be the sniper used in Reichenbach???

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/LyraWednesday?feature=guide

@Bad_Nade on Twitter
Sherlocks_Pants on LJ

July 18, 2012 12:44 am  #6

He might be in the first episode of the next season. As Gatiss, as you already said, might (or might not) been hinting on that it seems likely.
I sure would like that. I haven't read Empty House yet, but from the stuff I know about him he seems interesting.

I like the image of him the fandom created. Sexy, young Moran, being to Moriarty what Watson is to Holmes.
It seems likely that he's also going to be "made young", as kazza mentioned, as that is what happened to all the other characters. (Well, not all of them, but the main ones.)
Then again - since this is what is expected, why not trick the fandom and make him something else completely?
A woman, maybe? Or, in fact, some really old guy? A kid? Not one person but several?

Last edited by Sammy (July 18, 2012 12:45 am)

July 29, 2012 1:04 am  #7

I imagine the modern adaptation of The Empty House would have an unsolvable murder that Lestrade and the Yard are baffled by, with the main mystery being the murder weapon. The weapon will turn out to be some new modern lemon weapon (analogue to the airgun) that was probably stolen from, or copied from, the MOD. Moran will have this weapon and be checking Holmes' old acquaintances to be sure that Holmes is dead since he was probably away from Moriarty when The Reichenbach Fall took place and wants to confirm their deaths. This will lead Sherlock to reveal himself to Watson and catch Moran for Mycroft, allowing him to return from the dead publicly.

Last edited by Lupin (July 29, 2012 1:04 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the foil of a detective a thief or a magician?

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

July 29, 2012 8:33 am  #8

Lupin I think you've hit the nail on the head.  good line of reasoning here.   I  too  want  Moran  to be the newest main villain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 29, 2012 9:59 am  #9

Yes it shall be so exciting to see how a boring character is adapted for this series. He was a puppet for Moriarty, followed orders and hides behind a gun as a sniper, so doesn't even accept blame/infamy openly for his killings.
Basically he was & will still be a weasel of a man; just the kind of character the fandom will drool over I guess.
As I said earlier, yes he will be there in some form or other but it is extremely doubtful that he will be featured in more than the first episode. To make him into anything 'more important' would be an insult to ACD & his talent at creating all his other fascinating villains.
To put it bluntly, ask most 'fans' while watching Reichenbach "Name 3 villains from the original canon" and they may have struggled & named Moriarty, Adler and maybe Hope. Ask them now & they would say "Moriarty, Adler & Moran". Then ask if there were any more, many will say "no idea".
The male/female swap thing is boring; please credit Moftiss with more creativity than that.

Bottom line for me is to say "Go read the rest of the canon & then come & tell me Moran is the next most exciting villain there is". I will then know what level of intellect I need to adjust to.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 29, 2012 10:13 am  #10

To be fair, Moriarty himself is aggrandized in the Sherlock culture. His first and, in many ways last, appearance is The Final Problem. Then his influence is present in The Empty House and in the tacked on ending of The Valley of Fear. He's referenced in other stories by Sherlock true but the great majority of the canon is oblivious to him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

July 29, 2012 8:42 pm  #11

I think the only reason Moriarty is such a big deal is because he was the villain featured in the Final Problem and everything surrounding Sherlock's death, which would also explain the general fascination with Moran, as he's intrinsicly linked with the incidents at the Reichenbach Falls (rolling boulders at Holmes then trying to kill him in Empty House). I think the BBC Sherlock fans who were big fans of Moriarty probably went away and read the Final Problem and the Empty House, thereby picking up on Moran, but a lot of them have possibly only read those stories and none of the others.

Neither of them have much of an impact om the rest of the canon, and many of the villains are just ordinary people who have been led to murder by various circumstances, not criminal masterminds. Some of the stories don't involve murder, some don't even involve crimes or anything illegal, just something mysterious, but still just as entertaining. I do kind of prefer the ones with murder in though.

I haven't finished reading the entire canon yet but my mind always comes back to Milverton, he stands out so much, I don't know why, just think he's awesome (in a bad way obviously).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 29, 2012 8:47 pm  #12

He's a nasty, slimy toad. So a good candidate for a villain in the series.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 31, 2012 6:40 am  #13

I really like the double-agent in His Last Bow among villains as well as the culprit in The Naval Treaty. Moran to me was just a wild animal that closed off the Moriarty syndicate started in The Final Problem.

Board footera