BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 27, 2012 4:39 pm  #1

Nightwatching

I watched this 2007 movie last night.  Peter Greenaway is not the most user friendly director out there, so I could see how it would be very off-putting for the casual viewer.  However, I love a movie that requires multiple viewings in order to catch everything, and loved it.  I will be watching it again, particularly after watching the companion documentary J'accuse.  Martin is great in the role of Rembrandt and the depth of the mystery should appeal to this group.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

July 27, 2012 5:31 pm  #2

Re: Nightwatching

Was this broadcast on BBC1 around 9pm last night? If so I noticed it but didn't watch in the end for some reason. I'll look to see if I can watch it on iplayer. Thanks Fetchinketch.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 27, 2012 5:42 pm  #3

I watched it on DVD.  Wish I lived in the UK.  :-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

July 31, 2012 3:18 am  #4

This was an absolutely amazing movie and IMO anyone who likes Martin Freeman should watch it. I saw so many other things of his (Finkels, Kiss You, Office, Galaxy, and a few other shorts) and while I knew he only kind of did this to pay the rent, and didnt really *care* per say, I knew from watching the Watson subtleties, that there was more to him. And this just knocked me on my head. The emotion! The sets! Absolutely effing brilliant and mad and amazing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Fantastic."
Sherlock: "Meretricious."
Lestrade: "And happy new year."

"Oh, but we both know that's not quite true"

August 7, 2012 3:05 am  #5

Fetchinketch wrote:

... Peter Greenaway is not the most user friendly director out there....

So I had gathered, from reading the customer reviews on Amazon.  The most positive ones all rave about how wonderful the director is, and while I know that the director can make or break a film, still, the focus on the director to the virtual exclusion of the actors had caused me to suspect this might be a pretentiously arty film.

BrightBlueEyes wrote:

... I knew he only kind of did this to pay the rent, and didn't really *care* per se...

On the other hand, here's what he said on page 4 of this interview:

The things I’m proudest of haven’t been widely seen, such as The Robinsons [a six-part 2005 BBC2 series about a frustrated actuary] and Nightwatching.

I've already enjoyed The Robinsons (a comedy) several times on DVD, and after reading your rave reviews plus Mr. Freeman's comment, I think maybe now I'll get Nightwatching too.

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (August 7, 2012 3:24 am)

August 7, 2012 3:22 am  #6

I have Nightwatching but haven't got around to watching it yet. Thanks for the kick up the bum! Must get on that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

August 30, 2012 3:35 am  #7

OK, we just finished seeing this movie for the second time.  I can't say that I love it, exactly, but I definitely find it intriguing.  Here are some random comments.

If you've already seen Martin Freeman as, say, Tim Canterbury and John Watson, you're probably already impressed by his ability to give distinctly different performances -- but although I see certain common characteristics (for example, Rembrandt is sometimes gentle, playful, and vulnerable, so a bit like Tim in that regard), Rembrandt is a very different character, and the movie is well worth watching for Freeman's performance alone.

Judging by customer reviews and other internet comments, one might think the movie consists primarily of nudity and sex, but that's so far from the truth that I almost wonder if everyone saw the same movie!  Yes, there is some nudity, but all within the context of the story (i.e., not gratuitous) and (in my opinion) not at all in-your-face.  Unless I've lost count, there are three sex scenes, all fairly brief, and all crucial to showing Rembrandt's relationships to the women in his life.  They are somewhat graphic, but matter-of-fact rather than in-your-face.  Oh, and Rembrandt uses a certain amount of "bad language" (he's particularly fond of the F-word), but mostly when provoked.  Admittedly, this is not the Disney version!

There are a number of babies in the cast, and some of the other actors treat them almost like props.  I had heard (in the commentary for an episode of The Robinsons) that Martin Freeman enjoys working with babies, and I believe it!  If there's a baby within arm's reach, Rembrandt is unobtrusively interacting with it.  In one scene, for example, a baby's bonnet slips down over its face, so of course it cries.  Rembrandt/Freeman casually reaches over and gently tugs the bonnet back into place.

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (August 30, 2012 4:53 pm)

August 30, 2012 4:34 pm  #8

I've started a Nightwatching discussion thread, where those of us who've already seen the movie can discuss it freely, without worrying about giving away the plot.  (And of course, we can all continue to post any non-spoiler-type comments or questions right here.)

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (September 3, 2012 2:33 am)

September 7, 2012 10:29 pm  #9

Woo Hoo!  I'm a busy girl.  I just ordered "Nightwatching" and "The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes" plus I ordered "The House of Silk" for my Kindle.  Now broke, but happy. Lots to look forward to! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

Board footera