BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 20, 2012 1:57 pm  #121

Re: Go on then...what are your theories?

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Thanks for posting them Kaz. I can definitely see something in his hand...it could be a squashed up rubber ball but the question is where did he put it later on?

In his pocket, I've watched & you cannot see his pocket on that side at anytime really.
I was safe for use later; but why have it out then anyway?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 20, 2012 4:10 pm  #122

I've got a couple of questions having rewatched the scene this afternoon. Nothing related to holding stuff in your hands but:

When Sherlock asks for some privacy and stands over the edge, do you think he did that on purpose to send Moriarty away so he could make some kind of preparation for the fall. We don't actually see him do anything but could he have made some kind of signal to the people down below. I notice Moriarty says slightly before that "oh look you've got an audience now", that to me is obviously Sherlock's people getting themselves ready in position. It could just be a canon nod though because in Final Problem Holmes asks Moriarty for a moment's privacy whilst he writes a note to Watson (well strictly speaking it's actually in the Empty House where Holmes tells Watson what happened).

When Sherlock starts laughing, is that because he knows that whatever happens he's already beaten Moriarty because he's already made the plans for the jump and so on, or his he laughing for the reason he explains - because he believes that as long as he has Moriarty alive he won't have to complete the jump?

Also, at first Moriarty is sceptical that Sherlock would be willing to "shake hands in hell" and do anything, so what changes after they shake hands? Why does Moriarty suddenly change his mind - and obviously it was that change of mind that led him to kill himself. Why? Why did he kill himself? I mean, other than the fact that he's clearly mentally unhinged and a psychopath.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 20, 2012 4:37 pm  #123

I think, they play a game of mental chess with each other, just as kazza has described it. In the end M realizes, he is cornered and probably beaten. But I think, we don't see all the chess pieces, yet. Sherlock has realized, that there IS a recall code, and if he applies pressure at the right points, M might call the snipers off. M says first, that nothing could make him do that, but SOMETHING, we are not aware of yet, seems to change his mind. He kills himself to make it absolutely impossible for S to get the recall code out of him. He even says so: 'As long as I'm alive, you can save your friends, you've got a way out - well good luck with that'. Then he shoots himself and thus forces Sherlock to go through with the jump.Since he believes, S will also die, M might consider his suicide a draw in this match of mind chess.
I think, M's actions are completely logical, there are just a few missing pieces. I feel, a formidable adversary like M does not kill himself just because S looks sternly at him and tells him, he's not an angel. Also, a supersleuth like S doesn't confront his psychopath arch enemy with nothing in his sleeve than his talk and his stern look, though I have to say, that he does manage to look at M  like Lucifer himself before his fall.

Last edited by sherlocked (March 20, 2012 5:43 pm)

March 21, 2012 12:09 am  #124

I couldn't agree more with what sherlocked wrote...

"I feel, a formidable adversary like M does not kill himself just because S looks sternly at him and tells him, he's not an angel. Also, a supersleuth like S doesn't confront his psychopath arch enemy with nothing in his sleeve than his talk and his stern look, though I have to say, that he does manage to look at M  like Lucifer himself before his fall."

As Sherlock Holmes testified; James Moriarty is the most dangerous criminal mind the world has ever seen. I think there's a logical reason why Moriarty killed himself and I do have a hypothesis that kinda makes sense (but probably wrong?! Oh well...) I'm still organizing my thoughts linearly to try explain my take on what the "the final problem" is (Right now, my ideas look more like a crazy bush branching off all over the place).

Thanks for sharing your theories. They're very clever and interesting. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moriarty: "How hard do you find it? Having to say 'I don't know' ?"
Sherlock: "I don't know."
Moriarty: "Oh that's clever, that's very clever, awfully clever."

March 21, 2012 3:15 am  #125

Shenanigans wrote:

I think there's a logical reason why Moriarty killed himself and I do have a hypothesis that kinda makes sense (but probably wrong?! Oh well...) I'm still organizing my thoughts linearly to try explain my take on what the "the final problem" is (Right now, my ideas look more like a crazy bush branching off all over the place).

Don't be shy at posting your theory, none of us are 'right' really. And small things continue to pop up to 'dispel' some ideas all the time.

I think the solution shall be fairly straightforward, logical and extremely simple in the end.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 21, 2012 6:48 am  #126

"Once you eliminate the impossible...etc etc..."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 21, 2012 7:12 am  #127

I think I have eliminated a few thousand brain cells trying to work this thing out!

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 21, 2012 7:31 am  #128

Everyone can go to bed now, it's all been solved.

Lara Pulver   @larapulver
“@Markgatiss: Oh God! They've cracked it! “@LDHemli: The internet has figured out how Sherlock did it. http://s1.hostingkartinok.com/uploads/images/2012/01/ea1f1749bfac60416e5a07b975300de8.gif"  Brilliant!

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 21, 2012 10:19 am  #129

Lmao!!!!!

Super Sherlock!

1. he can fly
2. super vision (can find 100 crime evidence)
3. Brilliant Brain
4. ..

feel free to fill in the rest hahaha

at first I didn't notice .gif.. but 1-2 second I realize it.

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

March 21, 2012 10:35 am  #130

Flies like Peter Pan, which would fit actually; as he's never gotten any older in the last hundred years or so huh?

I could be onto something here!
Did anyone notice Sherlock's shoes on the roof? They were kinda pointy like Peter Pan's also.

Hmm .... Molly = Tinkerbell?
Peter Pan always teased Tinkerbell, even though he did really like her....
AND... she was always very helpful to Peter Pan!

I wonder if Irene is really Wendy???

Last edited by kazza474 (March 21, 2012 10:36 am)

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 21, 2012 11:59 am  #131

Thanks for the screen captures, kazza. I still can't see that object sherlocked said in the handshake. It's really bothering me, am I blind or something?
I can't remember a TV show making me this crazy in my whole life, not even Lost 

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

March 21, 2012 12:32 pm  #132

Ha, ha Irene, I still can see it, and it drives me just as crazy, lol! I think, I need a guinea pig. I might recruit my husband. Since he still hasn't seen the Reichenbach Fall, he might be an unprejudiced observer (being a natural scientist might help also) I just have to take care to ask him in a non suggesting neutral way. I don't want to contaminate his observational skills. If he doesn't see anything, I have to conclude, that my dvd came with a big dose of the Baskerville fog; if he sees something... well I don't know... the fog is in the world wide web, or my dvd is more sharp and detailed for some reason, or my dvd player is awfully good.
Anyway, I will inform you of the results.

March 21, 2012 12:37 pm  #133

Yes, shenanigans, tell us your thoughts: since it's a tv show nothing can be proven right or wrong anyway.

March 21, 2012 10:52 pm  #134

sherlocked wrote:

Ha, ha Irene, I still can see it, and it drives me just as crazy, lol! I think, I need a guinea pig. I might recruit my husband. Since he still hasn't seen the Reichenbach Fall, he might be an unprejudiced observer (being a natural scientist might help also) I just have to take care to ask him in a non suggesting neutral way. I don't want to contaminate his observational skills. If he doesn't see anything, I have to conclude, that my dvd came with a big dose of the Baskerville fog; if he sees something... well I don't know... the fog is in the world wide web, or my dvd is more sharp and detailed for some reason, or my dvd player is awfully good.
Anyway, I will inform you of the results.

Oh, yes, please, do inform us... I'm trying the same with a friend of mine. She's just watched A scandal in Belgravia, I hope this weekend she'll watch The Reichenbach Fall and tell me what she sees there... o not.
Anyway, we will probably get nowhere, but this is great fun (Sherlock himself would be having a good time, I'm sure)

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

March 21, 2012 11:03 pm  #135

Oh Irene, it's just fun and an excuse to watch again with new people. Actually, my husband promised to watch and take a look; but he said, he will just analyze, what he sees (or not sees). No speculation, what it means. Since it's  a tv show, speculations about the content are not scientific for him. He's a theoretical physicist. But still, it will be fun, and I'll let you know, what he says, if he has anything helpful to add, that is. We can then go on and speculate to our hearts content, lol!

March 28, 2012 4:24 am  #136

Just a point of interest, I believe the little girl's scream was prompted by two things:
1. The mercury poisoning as I have said several times before.
2. Sherlock's coat - it is the FIRST thing you see when you look at him after all. The coat is NOT something everyone wears, it is rather 'unique' in every scene, hence that great coat would be enough for the traumatised and poisoned girl to react.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 28, 2012 4:39 am  #137

Hmm so Moriarty had gone shopping for a Sherlock coat? I can sympathise with that.

March 28, 2012 4:41 am  #138

yeah well why not? Everyone else has, lol.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 28, 2012 4:41 am  #139

kazza474 wrote:

2. Sherlock's coat - it is the FIRST thing you see when you look at him after all. The coat is NOT something everyone wears, it is rather 'unique' in every scene, hence that great coat would be enough for the traumatised and poisoned girl to react.

And this time it didn't help that Sherlock did put his coat collar down in order not to frighten the little girl.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 28, 2012 4:47 am  #140

Exactly! Most people would wear it with collar down.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

Board footera