BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 19, 2015 7:33 pm  #561

Re: Recently watched movies.

I'm glad you enjoyed the movie, too, Val.  I haven't been to Austria, but I have been to France and New York City and when I see movies that take place there I have the same "I was there!" feeling.  So that's nice that you got to have that.  I also thought that the film was very beautifully shot, but I'm sure that's even more apparent when you know the places, or at least adds a dimension to your enjoyment of the cinematography.

Ah, yes, that exchange about Austria and kangaroos.  That was quite funny.

I know what you mean about the change in location for the painting.  I suppose it's a little unfortunate in a way that it could not say in its home country, but I also understand why not, because of the circumstances under which it was placed in the Belvedere.  The next time my family takes a trip to NYC, we are definitely going to go to the gallery where it now resides.  I'm sure it's beautiful in person.

Clueing for looks.

May 19, 2015 8:23 pm  #562

Davina wrote:

I finally managed to watch The Usual Suspects the other day. Really liked this movie. I am a big Spacey fan anyway and Gabriel Byrne is just great. Loved pretty much everything about the film. Clever, brilliantly acted, well-written, great camera work, good use of music etc. Well worth watching if you have never done so.

Oh god yes, "The Usual Suspects" is one of my all-time Top Ten favourite movies...! I'll never forget how this film blew me away at the cinema, I loved - and still love - every single moment of it. The cast is brilliant, the screenplay is a masterpiece - and not just because of the mind-boggling last three minutes. Director Bryan Singer did something really special here, definitely the best film he ever did.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 20, 2015 3:36 pm  #563

More memories of Vienna last night as Dan and I watched the classic film noir The Third Man. 

Made in 1948/49 it is still fresh and a great thrill to see.  Such magnificent performances by all the cast but special kudos to Orsen Welles as one of the most amoral villains in all of cinema - Harry Lime. He is so slimy and corrupt but Welles plays him with just a soupçon of humanity and pity (after all he did rescue Anna).  Still he is too cheerful as he considers the fate of people other than himself (he doesn't even look on them as humans - just "dots" that no one would miss if they disappeared). What a character!

But Joseph Cotten was almost as good as the cheap pulp fiction writer turned investigator, Holly Martins (he really is so symbolic of the "can-do, do-gooder" optimistic society of post-war America). 

The direction of Carol Reed (if only he hadn't done the horrible Oliver! to sully his CV - purely my opinion only... he received an Oscar for his efforts actually) was perfect in every way - if anyone is wanting to study film noir then this is the film to watch right along side such classics as The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and Nosferatu.  It has it all, wrapped up in a dandy story as well that keeps you on the edge of your seat and surprises at every turn.

It was an added delight that this film was presented in HD so the version was crisp and as sharply defined as ever.  Remarkable shadows and use of chiaroscuro.  The camera work of Robert Krasker was exemplary. 

Afterwards I read a review by Roger Ebert (written in 1996) that summed up the movie pretty well I thought (although I differ with him on the total perfection of the musical score - I thought it was too jarring in spots but that it just nit-picking really).  I will draw attention to the last few paragraphs that encapsulate the movie for me (but you really should read the entire review - it is so spot on when detailing the camera work and directorial decisions of Reed)...

"The Third Man" reflects the optimism of Americans and the bone-weariness of Europe after the war. It's a story about grownups and children: Adults like Calloway, who has seen at first hand the results of Lime's crimes, and children like the trusting Holly, who believes in the simplified good and evil of his Western novels.

"The Third Man" is like the exhausted aftermath of "Casablanca." Both have heroes who are American exiles, awash in a world of treachery and black market intrigue. Both heroes love a woman battered by the war. But "Casablanca" is bathed in the hope of victory, while "The Third Man" already reflects the Cold War years of paranoia, betrayal and the Bomb. The hero doesn't get the girl in either movie--but in "Casablanca," Ilsa stays with the resistance leader to help in his fight, while in "The Third Man" Anna remains loyal to a rat. Yet Harry Lime saved Anna, a displaced person who faced certain death. Holly will never understand what Anna did to survive the war, and Anna has absolutely no desire to tell him.

Of all the movies I have seen, this one most completely embodies the romance of going to the movies. I saw it first on a rainy day in a tiny, smoke-filled cinema on the Left Bank in Paris. It told a story of existential loss and betrayal. It was weary and knowing, and its glorious style was an act of defiance against the corrupt world it pictured. Seeing it, I realized how many Hollywood movies were like the pulp Westerns that Holly Martins wrote: naive formulas supplying happy endings for passive consumption. I read the other day that they plan to remake "The Third Man." Do you think Anna will cave in to Holly--or will she remain true to her bitter cynicism and unspeakable knowledge?

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-the-third-man-1949

I can't recommend this film enough.  It is an "oldie" but most definitely a "goodie"!

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

May 21, 2015 9:52 am  #564

The Third Man was one of the very first properly adult-themed films that I ever saw. It is pretty much a masterpiece.

On a completely different note I went to see The Avengers: Age of Ultron. Not at all bad for a Superhero/action movie thing. Hopefully this is a spoiler-free revue. Very noisy. Bit confusing with the whole Hawkeye/Black Widow storyline. I am not usually impressed much by FX but they are really good in this film, especially one bullet-time sequence. The straight, good old-fashioned stunts were very, very impressive (and far too easily taken for granted with so much CGI nowadays). Sadly, the film lacked any real emotional punch with two good story lines which should/could have had this impact (they tried but failed to achieve it) although another unexpected turn of events worked quite well. Leading an audience on until they think they now what is going to happen and are already miffed about it only to pull the carpet from under them is effectively used here. Humour was used to good effect and the cast generally seemed to be having a blast. Very pleased to see Paul Bettany which almost made up for a lack of Tom Hiddleston.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 21, 2015 4:40 pm  #565

The third man is a masterpiece. I've watched it several times and there are always new little details to discover, if only a shadow during the gutter chase. I appreciate every single actor in this, Orson Welles is of course overwhelming in his nastiness but he is not only repellant, when I watched it the first time I always hoped he could be saved by love and friendship. 
I loved the camera very much, considering the music I agree, it is most memorable but can be knife sharp in one's ear.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 22, 2015 4:08 pm  #566

We watched a very interesting movie last night with Colin Firth in it called Genova released in 2008.

It also starred Catherine Keener, an actress who I have followed for some time now and seems to always choose quirky roles (I know her best from her work with Steven Soderbergh's Full Frontal, but she is probably better known for Being John Malkovich).

It was a very small project and not released in the US in theatres (only in DVD in 2011 after The King's Speech's Oscars) and I can't find any records on the internet of how it did in non-domestic North American markets (it was released theatrically in foreign markets but seemed just to mainly do the film festival circuits rather than do a wider release).  

It isn't a commercial film that's for sure.  Shot in an almost pure hand-held, "home movie" style it has a rough quality about it that just wouldn't go down big with a wide audience (it reminds me of Full Frontal in this way).  That isn't to say it is amateurish - not at all!  It has great depth and care in every shot.  The director, Michael Winterbottom (who also co-wrote the screenplay), is a veteran of being nominated for a Palme d'Or at Cannes and is responsible for a couple of very fine films including Welcome to Sarajevo, The Shock Doctrine and A Mighty Heart).  

This film tells the story of a teacher (Firth) whose wife dies in a car accident while driving on an icy road with her two children.  We find out very quickly that the youngest daughter was responsible for the accident (which is the first unconventional aspect of this film - there are many more) but it wasn't malicious - just a immature 9 year old being impulsively silly and willful.  This tragic event has tremendous ripples of effect on everyone in the film in many different ways.  The father is not privy (nor does he ever become) to the secret of what the younger daughter actually did (cause the death of her mother) - he thinks her behaviour after the accident is just survivour guilt and tries his best to help her cope with the loss of her mother (he is very sympathetic and understanding and even has sought professional help for her in the form of counselling).

The older sister, while not betraying the younger one's secret, makes sure her sibling knows that she ruined the family (and her in particular) and acts resentful and sullen about the all-encompassing sympathy that the nine year old receives from the father. 

Firth's character is lonely, sorrowful, and searching for some normalcy in his life. 

He accepts a teaching position in Genova Italy and moves his family there.  He meets up with an old lover/colleague from Harvard (Keener) who is eager to get closer to him and his family.  But the tensions within and outside the family (from being in a totally foreign environment) bring about obstacles throughout the film. 

I loved how the acting was so natural and the eerie atmosphere (achieved through unusual camera angles and a super clear sound track that exaggerated even the slightest of sounds).  Firth was perfect as the dedicated father trying desperately to keep his daughters close to him and protect them from any dangers.  The two girls were spot on as his daughters - Willa Holland as the sometimes snotty, resentful teen who is pushing the boundaries of her father's love and understanding and Perla Haney-Jardine as the haunted, precocious younger daughter.  

Keener also shines as the pal who pushes too much and too fast to worm her way into this troubled family's life. 

This isn't a "thriller" in the normal sense.  There isn't the usual frantic pace you would expect in a Hollywood movie.  But this film is rife with tension and intense moments that almost leave you breathless at times.  When Firth is charging through a darkening woods screaming out his missing youngster's name, straining to see if she is there - you can't help but feel terror in your heart that he will never find his lost little girl.  When Mary (the youngest daughter) wakes up crying in a night terror with the hidden guilt from causing her mother's death - you know she is truly a haunted child. 

Anger, loss, guilt and loneliness is clearly on display and evident on screen in the story and in the acting in this film.

It isn't a tidy story but it isn't a complete tragedy either.  It probably is one of Firth's finest performances.  Yes, I think I have seen enough of his work to say it is definitely the best work he has ever done.  Not that you will even find it on Box Office Mojo in the list of his movies.  Pity... more people should have seen this.

Highly recommended by me.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

June 1, 2015 5:28 pm  #567

tonnaree wrote:

On a lighter note, last week I saw Kingsman: The Secret Service and loved it!  
So much fun watching Colin Firth kick ass with an umbrella!  Of course thinking of Mycroft doing "field work" during the whole scene.  It was funny and exciting and even touching in places.  It's based on comic books and the idea is to do more movies.  I certainly think they should.  I also think they should cast Martin and Mark in the sequel!!

Oh, Kingsman was ace! We watched it without really knowing what to expect and were not disappointed! It's funny and sarcastic and well, has a lot of eye candy too... and yes, among other things, there's a literal Mycroft moment to enjoy.

Two days ago, we saw a brilliant French film called "La Famille Bélier" which was very moving and hilarious.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

June 9, 2015 6:54 am  #568

So my friend and I decided to go through a few weeks of catching up on recent historical films one or both of us hadn't seen yet, to just 'delve' into that period mindset for a bit and see them all at once.  Side note - hard to do for too long before feeling heavy from all the (in general) oppressive stories!    Important/true/needed stories from past, but regardless still a bit much after a while.  All of them good though… starting earlier with 'Belle', then forward to '12 Years a Slave' and 'Lincoln', then 'The Imitation Game' (goodness, it was great seeing that one again), then convinced him to let me continue the 'historical/Benedict' theme with the copy of 'Parade's End' I finally got.      About halfway through, now, and it's… interesting.  Love Ben in those period roles, though.  Heck, if we hadn't already seen 'Amazing Grace' ages ago, would have fit in well, too!

Since most of those have their own threads and already know how incredible they were (although I didn't count on, despite hearing all the chatter about, HOW good yet emotionally disconcerting '12 Years' was…   or how impressive Daniel Day-Lewis was as Lincoln…) I just wanted instead to give a moment of praise to 'Belle'.

Probably not as 'big'/well-known a movie as the others, and certainly not its story in history, which is fascinating.  It wasn't atypical in the 1700/1800's for a mixed-race child to be born of a slave and a white partner, but it was different that Dido Elizabeth Belle's father found her and took her in to be raised and live with his well-off family - who had also taken in her orphaned white 'cousin'.  It's fascinating she was treated mostly as an educated equal than a maid, yet still struggled with barriers her cousin didn't, and especially interesting happenstance of influence that her great-uncle was the Chief Justice who ruled negatively on a few cases relating to slavery.  Fantastic acting, beautiful, and well-told… but Ah-chie already wrote a great review on all that a few pages back that I don't have much to add to. 

It's just such interesting circumstances of her life for the times, and treated like family to the point where she was included in a portrait with her cousin, which is what inspired the movie.  Imagine coming across this painting, and wondering what on earth the story was behind it:

It is unusual… not only two girls of different race, but of equal positioning, although Belle is behind, and almost darting out of the picture with more action than usual, and struck by her differently playful pose?  But her cousin has the more typical sedate formality, and extending hand on in equal affection.  Just a really neat piece of history.  Highly recommend it, too.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

June 9, 2015 1:43 pm  #569

Sounds like a wonderful idea having a themed film night.

I love historical films (both Dan and I do - our favourite genre) and the ones you mention are among the best. 

Belle is an exceptional movie.  I am glad you had a chance to see it, Russell.  Thanks for your kind words about my "review" but even with all that praise it doesn't do justice to the beauty of this film.  Just a splendid bit of movie making.  
And the true story of Belle is amazing.  That lovely portrait is a testament to the unique aspect of her story.  

Lincoln was one of Dan's favourite movies.  He is a man who absolutely doesn't like viewing movies twice yet he has watched this film at least 3 times (maybe more).  DDL was incredible.  

"12 Years a Slave" - I have seen it twice but really feel the need to see it again soon sometime.  It is on Netflix so I have it bookmarked and every time I go past it I am reminded of how intense and emotional that film was.  Maybe today I will re-watch it (the weather is apallingly cold and rainy so going outside isn't an option).  Your post is the inspiration I need to nestle down and give it my full attention. Thanks! 

Parade's End... I love that one!  BC was so glorious in it.  All starched and stiff and yet with such an undercurrent of passion and emotion.  I absolutely love the ending segment - the whole thing with Tietjens in the trenches, in command and sitting alone with his memories of Valentine... it makes me swoon just thinking about it.  And his final blowout scene with Sylvia... she was so sublimely nasty!! 

Oooo - I getting all tingly now to see it too! 

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

June 9, 2015 9:32 pm  #570

Aww.. thanks Val..  sometimes think I ramble too much, sorry, and you already brought up/reviewed the movie, so just wanted to mention basics and a couple cool extras about having seen it, and some other good movies saw lately, to chime in.  Really, I'm not that big of a history buff… I like some of those films, and periods, but some are hard to watch, like I said.  I'm just lucky to have a good movie friend who's really into that, and sometimes we just so happen to get in a certain 'phase' of films.  We had been talking Game of Thrones, and the similarities of medieval history and political/royalty power plays, and he found out I had somehow never caught the 'Elizabeth' movies.  Said I simply had to (and that part of history and the movies were really neat), and that kind of started our recent 'phase', since we had both been curious about Belle and it was a logical jump, then to go on from there to 'hey, there's several other recent historical flicks hadn't seen yet, we might as well just go in order'.  Since it kind of innocently veered towards 'Benedict historical flicks' (hey, he IS great at those, and my friend agrees! ;D), I may see if there's any interest to get him to see 'Hawking' next! 

I don't really watch movies twice either (too much else to watch!) except in the case of some time going by and loving it enough and watching with a friend who hadn't gotten to see it yet (such as some of the above examples).  Man, I certainly agree about DDL, and Gugu, though!  I could watch that one again, just to re-absorb everything, but I'm not so sure about '12 Years', as huge as it felt, and it's entire cast.  I agree that the cast in Belle was great as well, although the young male suitors just didn't have as much depth.  Did you recognize Tom Felton as one of them, though?  I was so amusedly surprised to see his name in the credits, having only remembered him as a boy from Harry Potter, and not grown up!

Ack, but don't tell me too much about Parade's End, yet!    We're halfway through… hopefully finish our upcoming movie night.  I like it a lot, but also find the flow of the story and feel of it strange at times, for lack of better word.  Think I need to wait and just see after it all plays out, although the actors are certainly something else.
Thanks for the banter about all those, though!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

June 10, 2015 1:00 am  #571

I am not that familiar with Tom Felton.  I haven't ever seen any Harry Potter films (and never read the books either - fantasy just isn't my thing).  Is he the young actor who made the film about looking into the psychology of the "super fan"?  It was really well done, especially for his first effort.  But that didn't have any acting of his in it. It was a documentary - still well done and very interesting.

The only actor who let me down was Sam Read in Belle.  He just faded away in his scenes with Gugu - understandably really.  She is such a force that she really needs someone with real acting chops who can go toe-to-toe with her in the scenes and Read just couldn't pull it off IMO. 

I love watching movies again and again.  I think my record of watching a movie from start to finish is about 16 times (and that was going to the theatre each time - not just on TV).  But it has to be something I really like.  Most of the time I would think nothing of watching something I really like at least a half of dozen times (something like Star Trek into Darkness for instance).  I have watched Third Star at least that many times as well (and could easily watch it many more times). 

That's where Dan and I are polar opposites!  He rarely if ever wants to re-watch things and if he does see it again he wants to have a good amount of time between viewings (like almost a year usually). 

BTW - Rambling is good!    LOL!  I think that is a very positive personality trait (probably why I like BC so much)!  So don't ever think that you ramble too much - there is no such thing to me.   

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

June 11, 2015 5:17 am  #572

Aw, thanks.  I know it's not a bad trait, just sometimes think there's a balance with that, and getting to the point. 
Tom Felton was the rude young suitor, I believe.  I don't know about the 'super fan' thing?  I only watched a couple of the movies, back when, enough to catch his name as the blond slick-haired boy antagonist to Harry.  Just one of those neat things not rightaway noticing a child actor all grown up.  I agree though, Gugu pretty much dominated her scenes.  It was so neat seeing her again after my first brush with her in 'Touch' with Keifer Sutherland, which was part of the reason I wanted to see it.

Gah… and that is some serious re-watching!    What in the world movie was that?  I love seeing a favorite again with a friend, but even with tv shows I like, can only see the same thing over again so much.  If it's the kind of movie that's really twisty or puzzling the first time around, though……  'Cloud Atlas' was one of those.  Oh, and this other crazy different, beautifully artsy film 'Upside Down' - need to watch that one again with a friend after seeing it a week ago, to get it better.  Anyone who likes something really artistically different, and a love story based in a fantastical sci-fi world, might like it.

'Upside Down' is one of those beautiful but weird movies that presents you with a love story and social statement wrapped in a completely different than usual world, and is just so darn earnest about it, regardless of whether you can put scientific logic aside and just enjoy the visual ride.  I was trying to think too much with it, in between being 'wow' at what they were doing, that a second viewing would help to just enjoy the story.  Basically, there are these twin planets caught in each other's gravity and orbit the sun together, but have their own gravity, and whichever side you're born on, you're stuck there (with some other rules and physics explained in movie).  The spot where they are closest (that doesn't rotate, apparently) is notable for the huge (and only) skyscraper that houses TransWorld corporation, built up from both sides (which are called Up Top and Down Below, very original), and meets in the middle.  Of course, one side's city has flourished, while the other side is exploited and in poverty (thanks to TransWorld!). 
Thus starts with our Romeo and Juliet (played by a great Jim Sturgess and Kirsten Dunst), who happen to meet while wandering at the top of mirrored mountain peaks on opposite sides, and start to fall for each other, trying to figure out ways to be together.  Cue various gravity experiments, danger, TransWorld difficulties, and as you can guess, a ton of amazing dual gravity/dual world visual effects.  Really, a big part of the movie is just the awesome looking dual world thing, and the message of 'opposites' in world and love conquering.  Timothy Spall also stars, perfectly curmudgeonly, but Jim and Kirsten really carry it.  Different, but a fun little film.

June 12, 2015 6:38 pm  #573

Went to see Mad Max: Fury Road. As a purist action movie with dynamic female protagonist (and other strong female figures of various ages) it is great. Tom Hardy is as wonderful (and yet again transformed) as ever. Charlize Theron turns in a strong performance (although I would have liked to have seen a further  step up when she receives the devastating news that the  promised land is somewhat illusionary. The rest if the cast were, in the main, very good. Music- fantastic, cinematography- amazing, great FX, very very good stunts, costuming, sets and props perfect. Some nods to the original not all of which work and certain elements included to shock due to their taboo nature. The 'love' aspect was a bit false and personally unnecessary but I do see why it was included.  Suspension of disbelief is essential (since it is set post-apocalypse) but if you can do that I am sure you will enjoy it. Ultimately a film about redemption. Keen to see a sequel.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 16, 2015 3:22 pm  #574

Last night we watched Whiplash on Netflix.  I can certainly see why J.K. Simmons won for BSA at the Oscars!  A real standout of a performance. 

I loved the overall feel of the movie and the director, Damien Chazelle, had a very delicate hand with all the performers - especially the younger ones. 

I also loved how the movie didn't end when I thought it was going to - the final scenes of the film were what made it something out of the ordinary.  Both Dan and I puzzled over the final scenes for quite a while and finally I went to the internet to seek out any analysis I could to see what others had to say about it.

I found one unusual article about it, from The Atlantic - here's the link -

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/10/the-ethics-of-whiplash/381636/

I am not sure I agree fully with the writer's critique but I can certainly say there are a lot of valid points contained within it for me.  Which didn't make me like the movie any less - just gave me more admiration for the director who took a stand and presented it in the best, most entertaining way he could.

I don't need to agree with everything about the philosophy behind a film to admire it. 

I highly recommend this film.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

June 30, 2015 2:54 pm  #575

Watched Locke last night. Very, very good. Review to follow. 

June 30, 2015 3:07 pm  #576

Everyone must see Inside Out.
Take tissues and a blankie.
Trust me on this one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 6, 2015 5:25 pm  #577

I really want to see it, tonnaree, believe me!

The film I recently saw is in a very different tone, however.  I caught Citizenfour on HBO this weekend.  I quite liked it.  I figured it had to be good if it won the Oscar for best documentary, but I was surprised at how good it was at keeping me interested despite the fact that it is mostly just a series of filmed conversations.  However, I think it is a very important film and it is this form that makes it so effective.  Snowden and the journalists, obviously, care about the public being aware of the NSA documents on their spying, but while we do see their opinions, there is no narration or anything to try and force you to agree with them.  We get to see the process of Snowden contacting the journlists and filmmaker, discussing what he has found out about what the NSA is doing, and how they are going to approach informing the public about it, istead of just focusing on the leaks and the aftermath.  I feel much more informed about this story than I did before, which is what was important to me.  The issue of privacy online is oging to keep affecting us, so I think this is an important film for this age, because the issues disuccsed will keep coming back.  Plus, like I said before about not trying to force an opinion on the audience, you can make your own decision on whether you agree with what Snowden did or not.  
Personally, I don't think he is a traitor, and I don't think it's fair how he has been treated as a criminal, and how he was forced to live in another country in order not to be punished.  Punished for what? Informing people on something they deserve to know about? Not a crime in my opinion. But the film lets you decide by giving you the facts behind his decision, you can decide whether they were good reasons.

Last edited by Yitzock (July 6, 2015 5:25 pm)

Clueing for looks.

July 6, 2015 9:04 pm  #578

tonnaree wrote:

Everyone must see Inside Out.
Take tissues and a blankie.
Trust me on this one.

Oh, I saw a trailer for this one yesterday. Looks very promising , definitively going to watch it when it starts here in October.
I saw the Minton movie yesterday. It was... well... OK, but overall disappointing by comparision to Despicable Me. But at least the cinema was air-conditioned  .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

July 8, 2015 4:41 pm  #579

Last night Dan and I watched The Water Diviner.  Russell Crowe starred in it and directed it (his first effort as a dierctor).  The movie was a critical and commercial hit in Austraila but only saw limited release in the US and other western nations. 

Both of us really liked it.  Leaving aside the controversies surrounding the politics of the situation contained within the movie, it was entertaining, well directed and acted and beautifully photographed. 

I would like to see Crowe direct more movies - I think he has a knack for it and it should be developed further. 

As for this one it is especially interesting to anyone who has a penchant for WWI movies (although this one centres around the clashes in Turkey not the Western front).  It is a very personal story (with sometimes wider implications) about one father's search into the fates of his three sons who fought in Gallipoli (1915-16) and never returned home to Australia.  Crowe is wonderful in the starring role - quiet, passionate, doggedly determined and resourceful.  The supporting cast is excellent too.  The relationships between Crowe's character and all the others is carefully built up through the story and all things come together so seemlessly in a natural sort of way. 

Very well crafted movie and a definite recommendation from me.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

July 8, 2015 4:56 pm  #580

stoertebeker wrote:

I saw the Minton movie yesterday. It was... well... OK, but overall disappointing by comparision to Despicable Me.

Well, what could ever compete with this:

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera