BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 5, 2015 4:14 pm  #1

Greetings!

Greetings, Sherlockians! I'm a new Sherlockian (I've only seen His Last Vow this weekend, that's how new), but I am very eager to discuss with everyone, because I have become a little obsessed with this show.  It takes up an obscene amount of brain activity, and Tumblr has not been providing enough discussion opportunities as of late.
Please bear with me, as this is my first time becoming a member of a forum in a while.
I'm from Canada and just finished my first year of university.  I'm a big fan of musicals, and I also like rock music and jazz, though I listen to other stuff from time to time as well.
I look forward to chatting with you!

Clueing for looks.

May 5, 2015 4:21 pm  #2

Re: Greetings!

Welcome on board, Yitzock, nice to have you here. Have fun. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 5, 2015 4:57 pm  #3

Wow, new fans, yay! Welcome.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 5, 2015 5:10 pm  #4

Warm welcome to the forum, Yitzock. I like your avatar.
What does your name mean?

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 5, 2015 5:22 pm  #5

Thanks! Your avatar is funny!

The name I came up with is kind of weird.  I use it on AO3 as well.  It's a combination of names of characters.  "Yitz" is from Yitzhak, who is a character in one of my favourite musicals, Hedwig and the Angry Inch.  The "ock" part is from Sherlock.  So, Yitzock is pronounced similarly to Yitzhak, while also combining two of my favourite fandoms.

Last edited by Yitzock (May 5, 2015 6:09 pm)

Clueing for looks.

May 5, 2015 6:52 pm  #6

Hi, warm welcome, nice to have you around 

You know there are theories of Sherlock / Shylock, another Yiddish connotation.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 5, 2015 7:16 pm  #7

Hi, Yitzock! Welcome to the forum ! There are plenty of opportunities to discuss Sherlock here (and things that are not related, which belong to The Diogenes Club ).

Theories on Shylock/Sherlock, Harriet? I haven't heard of those... Could you please send a link or explain it ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

May 5, 2015 8:00 pm  #8

Thanks for your warm welcome messages! Also, I have never heard of those Shylock-related things, either, but they sound interesting!

Clueing for looks.

May 5, 2015 9:25 pm  #9

I can't really remember where I read it, actually. Some people claim that Sherlock might have been developed from Shylock, and therefore his Jewish characteristics (no, we are not stereotyping!  ).

Only article that mentions it that I can find now is from Switzerland:

Doyle nannte ihn Sherlock, in Anlehnung an Shylock, Shakespeares ausgestossenen Juden im «Kaufmann von Venedig». http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/kultur/kino/Sherlock-Holmes-lebt-weiter/story/25927858
(Doyle named him Sherlock in analogy to Shylock, Shakespeare's outcast Jew in The Merchant of Venice.)

Actually, not exactly the connection I remember (violin and brains )

Last edited by Harriet (May 5, 2015 9:26 pm)

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 6, 2015 4:15 am  #10

Welcome to the forum, Yitzock!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 6, 2015 11:58 am  #11

Harriet wrote:

I can't really remember where I read it, actually. Some people claim that Sherlock might have been developed from Shylock, and therefore his Jewish characteristics (no, we are not stereotyping! ).

Only article that mentions it that I can find now is from Switzerland:

Doyle nannte ihn Sherlock, in Anlehnung an Shylock, Shakespeares ausgestossenen Juden im «Kaufmann von Venedig». http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/kultur/kino/Sherlock-Holmes-lebt-weiter/story/25927858
(Doyle named him Sherlock in analogy to Shylock, Shakespeare's outcast Jew in The Merchant of Venice.)

Actually, not exactly the connection I remember (violin and brains )

Yes! I understood the German article (well, most of it, anyway)! All's not lost
(sorry about that. I learnt German at school, and I thought...well, apparently there are some things I do remember. I should celebrate! However, I suppose it's easier when one knows what the article is dealing with. Still. Celebration is in order.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

May 6, 2015 12:01 pm  #12

(Wow, that's impressive - the German language is quite hard to learn - Confetti for sure!  )

May 11, 2015 2:05 pm  #13

Hello Fellow Canadian!

I am also from the land of hockey and back bacon! LOL!

My registered name is Ah-chie but you can call me Val... that's my real name.

I live in SW Ontario and have been a Cumberbatch fan for longer than I have been a Sherlock watcher.  Saw BC in The Fifth Estate, Star Trek into Darkness and August: Osage County before having the opportunity to see Sherlock.  But once seen I was hooked on the show as well as Cumby. 

Not a shipper at all (Ben and I think the same on this point) but I do love, love, love the friendship between Sherlock and John and think it is the essence of the show (not the cases - they are just the vehicle to transport the friendship stories).

Retired teacher by past profession, married to an author and retired newspaper editor/reporter - we watch A LOT of movies but not much broadcast TV (just mainly series on Netflix) so I post a lot of comments in the Off Topic Films Thread. 

Nice to have you on board.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

May 11, 2015 11:05 pm  #14

Hi Val!

I saw Benedict in a couple other things before I watched Sherlock, also (Star Trek, War Horse), but not until I saw The Imitation Game I realized how great of an actor he is, and my family and I started Sherlock on Netflix the same night we saw the movie.  Now I'm hooked on the show.

I don't really ship, either, but I often end up reading Johnlock because there's some good stuff that just happens to also be about the ship.  All the fic I write is of the two as friends.  There are not enough platonic stories, if you ask me (though I've read some good ones), and I think the friendship of John and Sherlock is a great one.  Close, yes, but I don't need it to be a romance.  Unpopular opinion, but that's what I think. Nice to see someone else of that view.  I like the quote in your signature, by the way.

Clueing for looks.

May 12, 2015 7:25 am  #15

Oh, if users do not like Mary, that deos not rule out they have a heart, not a bit.
There is also a disscusion thread about her, where you can give all your reasons as to why you do in fact like her. But there are also a lot of very good arguments why some people don't. So, give us your arguments.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 15, 2015 11:38 am  #16

Hello and welcome aboard! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera