BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 30, 2015 7:39 pm  #1

Orphan Black

Wow! I'm so surprised this one didn't already have a topic I went through all the pages a couple times just to make sure.

Anyone else watch it? I just started not too long ago, but I'm all caught up.

I highly recommend it. I'm not a super sci-fi kinda person, but I still really enjoy. And the main actress is pretty crazy talented. Half the time I forget it's her playing most of the characters!

April 30, 2015 8:15 pm  #2

Re: Orphan Black

Oh yes, I do watch it! I think the idea is extremely original. I shoud have watched s03e01...but I didn't have time this week. Possibly tomorrow. I'll let you on to something. I didn't have any idea that all the girls were played by the same actress...(not very observant, am I?) so when I learnt that they were all the same person...it did make sense, but what came into my mind was mostly something along the lines of "Holy Christ, that girl is ...wow. "talented" doesn't even begin to cover it".
Have you got a favourite episode, then?

Last edited by Lilythiell (April 30, 2015 8:17 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

May 1, 2015 1:57 am  #3

M

Lilythiell wrote:

Oh yes, I do watch it! I think the idea is extremely original. I shoud have watched s03e01...but I didn't have time this week. Possibly tomorrow. I'll let you on to something. I didn't have any idea that all the girls were played by the same actress...(not very observant, am I?) so when I learnt that they were all the same person...it did make sense, but what came into my mind was mostly something along the lines of "Holy Christ, that girl is ...wow. "talented" doesn't even begin to cover it".
Have you got a favourite episode, then?

I don't think I could pick just one episode, they're all so good and seem to bring something new to the story. I do enjoy episodes that center around or have a strong focus on Allison, she's my favorite character and I feel like she brings a lot of much needed comic relief at times.

What about you?

May 1, 2015 11:33 am  #4

This is me I am definitely going to catch up on. Everyone I know who has watched it has been very impressed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 4, 2015 11:29 am  #5

Myrinda, I think I'm much in the same boat as you are, rather than having a favourite episode, I have a favourite character -and consequently enjoy episodes centered around Cosima (science geek, I suppose). I'm guessing she'll have quite a lot of drama during this series. And ...what the actual ...? She died in series 2? Or at the very least had a NDE? Drama, indeed!
I like Elena a lot, too. I suppose the audience understood quite quickly in the first scene of the first episode from series 3 that we were going to have a dream sequence...What I find disturbing is the talking scorpio... I mean, I do understand that she needed to have a coping mechanism (not discussing her habit to cut, that is definitely a way to cope), or possibly a friend to talk to...

Davina, are you caught up, yet?

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

May 5, 2015 9:06 pm  #6

Ah, yes, Orphan Black! Tatiana Maslany is awesome!  I have trouble picking a favourite character.  My favourite clone is either Sarah or Helena, though I also really like Alison and Cosima.  My favourite character that isn't a clone is Felix.  I just want him to be happy, he gets some of the best lines.
I always thought Orphan Black was a great show, really exciting and intersting, but so far this season (season 3) I've found it less so.  Maybe it's because we've got lots of new characters that need exposition, but I feel like the story is moving at a quite slower pace right now.  Episode 1 was OK, episode 2 picked up and felt like the Orphan Black I know and love, and then this pas episode (3) was slow again.  I don't know whether I have higher expectations after the first 2 seasons or whether it's just a slow start.  I'm still going to watch of course, but just a little disappointed at the moment.  Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

Clueing for looks.

May 5, 2015 10:52 pm  #7

I'm sure you're right, Yitzock -the boys do need an exposition.
Douglas (Cabin Pressure) was right about Helsinki, wasn't he? *Sink of hell*
I like how Alison is...financing her campaign, but I'm afraid at the same time -have you heard of the series Weeds...?

You're absolutely right, Félix is an awesome character who deserves to be happy -he does have to put up with...well...the bad stuff. I feel like he's mostly there to absorb the negative events. At least in series 3 (so far)... I hope they'll give him more depth and that we'll see him in a lighter way.

Last edited by Lilythiell (May 5, 2015 10:56 pm)

May 6, 2015 7:47 pm  #8

I have heard of the show Weeds, but I don't know anything about what it's about.  I'm assuming something about drugs?

Felix does put up with a lot of bad stuff, helping other characters when they're in trouble.  I hope we get more funny scenes with him, though, like we have in past episodes.

Clueing for looks.

May 6, 2015 8:14 pm  #9

Weeds is a TV show about a grieving mother who lives in the suburbs and who deals drugs to overcome her financial difficulties.
I think some parallels can easily be drawn...

While I did like the idea for the show, I think they've quickly used every original idea they could come up with and ended up with the same things happening over and over to the characters.
I don't think it'll happen to Alison but still.

May 6, 2015 8:50 pm  #10

I can see why there would be parallels or similarities in that case.  I don't think Alison's storyline on Orphan Black will get repetitive anytime soon, but that still sounds like it could have similarities.  I feel like you could also make a comparison to Breaking Bad (another show I only know a little bit about), though perhaps not to the same extent.

Clueing for looks.

May 6, 2015 9:04 pm  #11

Yitzock wrote:

I can see why there would be parallels or similarities in that case.  I don't think Alison's storyline on Orphan Black will get repetitive anytime soon, but that still sounds like it could have similarities.  I feel like you could also make a comparison to Breaking Bad (another show I only know a little bit about), though perhaps not to the same extent.

I've tried watching Breaking Bad, too, I heard so much good about it! I didn't like the first episodes and didn't pursue it -though the idea is, again, interesting.

May 8, 2015 9:49 pm  #12

Orphan Black has been renewed for a 4th season for spring 2016. I'm curious to see where they will leave us off on this current one.

May 8, 2015 11:09 pm  #13

Yes! I've seen this information, too.

About where series 4 could go... Let's speculate?

Last edited by Lilythiell (May 8, 2015 11:14 pm)

May 8, 2015 11:59 pm  #14

I don't know if I'm ready to speculate since season 3 has only barely begun.  All I can say is...there will be hardship, more clones, and probably death.  Also, Helena will eat food.

Clueing for looks.

May 9, 2015 9:13 am  #15

Well, what about the "discovery" that the female C and male C are basically brothers and sisters? Do you think they will accept each other? Or fight to the death because the males have been brainwashed (what? they're in the military)?

Last edited by Lilythiell (May 9, 2015 9:14 am)

May 15, 2015 11:50 am  #16

Not caught up yet. Other shows are keeping me busy but it is on my 'must see' list!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 15, 2015 4:07 pm  #17

Lilythiell wrote:

Well, what about the "discovery" that the female C and male C are basically brothers and sisters? Do you think they will accept each other? Or fight to the death because the males have been brainwashed (what? they're in the military)?

Well, the female Leda clones formed like a family as they met each other.  Family is important, and now they know that the male Castor clones are family as well.  In the last episode there was a bit of hinting at helping each other, but the Castor clones are pretty different and very ruthless so I don't think they could ever completely work together or be on the same side.  It's hard to say at this point, though.  
There was that one clone that Helena found that was being experimented on (if you haven't seen that episode, stop reading right now), but I don't know whether the other Castor clones know about him and what the military scientists (?) were doing to him.  They may change their allegience if it's something they didn't know about before and discover that they were hurting one of their own so badly.  It's hard to say, though, because they are ruthless like I said.

Clueing for looks.

May 15, 2015 4:51 pm  #18

No worries, I'm caught up -just earlier today. And can't wait for the next episode...(Seriously, though, what are we going to do when Orphan Black's latest series end (and all other TV series we watch, to be honest) to stay sane (humpf) until Series 4 arrives? Apart from writing/reading fanfictions, that is?)
I don't think the other Castor clones knew about Parsons (?) -they seem to respect it when they're given orders and would probably not think of snooping around. So when they're told "you'll patroll around this area", they don't ask questions and just do it. They would not have stumbled into the room, i don't think. 
However, I find that it is encouraging that Mark, though he did not completely forgot his training, prevented his brother from knifing Sarah. It could take them a while to admit that the Leda clones are family, but I do believe they will. Or, at least, some of them will.

May 27, 2015 7:37 am  #19

I have nearly finished the first series!  The only (very slight) negative, but one that keeps nagging at my ear is Sarah's 'English' accent because she sounds Australian! This is due mostly to her vowel sounds and intonation not being quite right. The guy who plays Felix's accent is, however, spot on! Even as an Englander (ha ha) I would not know that he was Canadian. I guess the actress has a bigger ask though since she plays so many different characters. The Irish lady was in Dexter as well, I think.

August 15, 2015 9:58 pm  #20

Seen the first two series now and impatiently waiting for season 3, which I managed to miss epwhen it was on TV here since I hadn't yet seen 1 & 2.  I'm enjoying it!

Board footera