BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 22, 2015 11:27 am  #1

How do you imagine Moriarty's past and background?

Here is what is written in the Canon : "He is a man of good birth and excellent education, endowed by nature with a phenomenal mathematical faculty. At the age of twenty-one he wrote a treatise upon the Binomial Theorem, which has had a European vogue. On the strength of it he won the Mathematical Chair at one of our smaller universities, and had, to all appearance, a most brilliant career before him"

But the BBC Moriarty is quite different, and we know nothing about his past ( except he's murdered Carl Powers at young age), but I can't belive he's an apprently respectably settled man as he is in the canon. 

So what would be your version?

April 23, 2015 10:30 pm  #2

Re: How do you imagine Moriarty's past and background?

Swap program developer for mathematics, and IPO for chair in a unversity, and he's an eccentric internet millionaire who cashed out early.

Last edited by REReader (April 23, 2015 10:31 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

April 24, 2015 7:25 am  #3

He never experienced real love..... 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

April 25, 2015 10:32 am  #4

He was bullied at school by sporty boys like Carl Powers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 5, 2015 5:38 pm  #5

Could be he was treated badly by athletic kids like Powers.  That's an intersting thought, and it's not unlikely since he's obviously very intelligent and cunning, and that's often a target for bullies.  It could have really set him over the edge, and maybe he didn't have a very good home life which didn't help.  I'm really not sure.

I don't know how trustworthy the information is, but when we first see him Molly says that he works in IT at Bart's.  I don't know whether that was actually his job at that point, temporarily or for longer before then (unless of course there was an explanation that I'm forgetting), but to get there he would obviously have to have some qualifications, so maybe he always liked computers since he was a kid and got interested in programming in high school (the British equivalent, I'm not very knowledgable on the British education system) or university.  He boasts about "Westwood," so he's well-dressed.  He must have either come from money (which doesn't necessarily go with the bad home life, but I suppose he could have still been provided for even if they treated him coldly), or he made a lot of money in the computer field somehow.  I'm assuming that there are some well-paying jobs in that area, even if not a CEO or something.  
The "internet millionaire who cashed out early" I suppose is possible and an interesting idea, but I feel like at least John would have heard of him in that case.  Jobs, Gates, Zuckerberg, etc. are known to the public, so Moriarty probably would have been too.  But we know that John had not heard of him before.

It's hard for me to see Moriarty as being a popular kid at school.  He probably found other people too boring and thus did things on his own most of the time.  Though it's obvious he can have people to work with when he needs them, but he no doubt is very manipulative and they don't necessarily like him even if they will do things for him.  I suppose that school could have been when Moriarty first started practising doing this, seeing what he could get people to do for him when he pushed the right buttons.  Maybe at school he started learning that he could use others' stupidity to his benefit and entertainment when he wanted to, and as he got better at it he started doing it more and more, on a larger and larger scale.  Until we get to where he is in the series, a criminal mastermind of sorts.

Last edited by Yitzock (May 5, 2015 5:41 pm)

Clueing for looks.

Board footera