BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 27, 2015 8:12 am  #321

Re: Sherlocked - The Official Sherlock Convention

Wonderful and detailed report! It sounds like an unforgettable and exhausting experience. :D

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 27, 2015 8:19 am  #322

Awesome report! Thank you so much for taking your time to type it up.

I felt a bit like I was there! You lucky woman! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 27, 2015 9:05 am  #323

Good work Lilythiell, I am green with envy

Looking forward to part 2 and photos!

Last edited by ukaunz (April 27, 2015 9:06 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 27, 2015 9:06 am  #324

Btw, does anyone know why Martin wasn't there? Is he busy shooting a movie or something?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 27, 2015 9:10 am  #325

I heard Martin is in the US currently, working on some (mysterious?) project....

Hmmm, I´m looking forward to your photos too, Lilythiell! Drooling in advance already....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 27, 2015 9:33 am  #326

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

April 27, 2015 9:36 am  #327

Lily, thank you for your report. Wow, what an experience. 

I hope they will do another con and they will learn and make it more interesting. I think the panels were the best at this con from what was offered.

April 27, 2015 11:04 am  #328

Thank you for the report - it sounds fantastic!  I hadn't thought about the photos coinciding with the talks.  What a dilemma! 

April 27, 2015 12:25 pm  #329

It does sound worth it for those that could afford the VIP tickets.

If I could make any one suggestion to the organizers it would be to have a few more activities to enhance the experiance of those who could not afford the big tickets.  If they ask for volunteers they could get hundreds of fans willing to set up and lead discussion panels.  They could have a video room with episodes and extras playing.    They could have a casual room where people could sit and play Cluedo! and just talk.

I know the main draw of this event was the chance to meet Benedict and the other team members, but there are lots of things that don't cost a lot of money that can make a convention more fun.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 27, 2015 12:45 pm  #330

I think that is the problem,they did not use the convention as a place of celebration of Sherlock as such and as a meeting point and communication between the fans. They could have organize a "clue hunting" , the place for Cluedo and operation games, some place about the ACD Canon (even. vs. BBC Sherlock). 

I loved at the pther con the idea with the ASBO police. They should involve the fans more in the organization next time, it lookes a bit sterile this year. I would take this year as an exercise from them, but i wonder if there is a place where someone can give them feedbak and ideas for next time....

Last edited by A lovely light (April 27, 2015 12:46 pm)

April 27, 2015 1:11 pm  #331

Exactly Lovely.  The fans would be super excited to be involved.  The ASBO poilice at 221b wasn't even something officially involved at the con.  It was just one fan's idea for a cos-play! 

And as you said, hopefully this one was successfull enough for them to try again and make it even better next time!

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 27, 2015 1:38 pm  #332

tonnaree wrote:

If I could make any one suggestion to the organizers it would be to have a few more activities to enhance the experiance of those who could not afford the big tickets.  If they ask for volunteers they could get hundreds of fans willing to set up and lead discussion panels.  They could have a video room with episodes and extras playing.    They could have a casual room where people could sit and play Cluedo! and just talk.

I know the main draw of this event was the chance to meet Benedict and the other team members, but there are lots of things that don't cost a lot of money that can make a convention more fun.

Maybe it was intentional? To show you that unless you sell your kidney, you won´t have a worthwhile experience at the con?

Last edited by nakahara (April 27, 2015 1:39 pm)

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 27, 2015 1:49 pm  #333

nakahara wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Maybe it was intentional? To show you that unless you sell your kidney, you won´t have a worthwhile experience at the con?

I tried to sell a kidney but it seems I'm past the expiration date. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 27, 2015 2:22 pm  #334

I think you should have been helping to organise it, Tonnaree!  Or somebody with a similar mindset.   It would have been fantastic to have a sort of "fringe" convention alongside the main event, with talks, workshops, etc.  Reading the accounts it looks like quite a few people came alone and it might have been fun to have some small group activities.  Something like those murder mystery events would be great.  You do wonder if it's true that they didn't want to provide too much at the basic price, to encourage people to pay more! 

April 27, 2015 2:29 pm  #335

I think there is a fundamental difference between a fan-organised even like the one tonnaree attended and a mainly commercial convention like Sherlocked. Which does not mean that such an additional programme would not be nice and desirable. But the focus and the intention may be different depending on who organises such a thing. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 27, 2015 2:48 pm  #336

What a lovely report from Iillithiell
I just popped in to say that I hope all who attended the con had a fantastic time. I've been having a sneaky peek on Twitter over the weekend so I know some of our old friends had the time of their lives and that Andrew Scott, Rupert Graves and Louise Brealey were particularly appreciated.
I'm sorry to hear that Benedict was struggling with a head cold - I get the impression that due to this, and the huge numbers of people he had to pose with, it was a bit of a blur for those that did have a photoshoot with him, which is a bit of a shame, but lovely to know that everyone came away feeling so happy

And slightly off topic, but just want to say "hi" to everyone and hope you're all well

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

April 27, 2015 2:57 pm  #337

Liberty wrote:

I think you should have been helping to organise it, Tonnaree!  Or somebody with a similar mindset.   It would have been fantastic to have a sort of "fringe" convention alongside the main event, with talks, workshops, etc.  Reading the accounts it looks like quite a few people came alone and it might have been fun to have some small group activities.  Something like those murder mystery events would be great.  You do wonder if it's true that they didn't want to provide too much at the basic price, to encourage people to pay more! 

Who do I call to volunteer my services?  Hell, I'll do it for free!  Or at least if they'd just let me meet the team. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 27, 2015 3:30 pm  #338

I had a limited experience of the con - only went there on Saturday and to a talk with Benedict, so I was not so much impressed. Yes, it was very commercial and consisting mainly in queuing. Actually, it did give occasion to pass the time chatting to other people - I had a most wonderful chat with two biochemists waiting for B. talk - but to be honest one needed at least a gold ticket to get most fun of it, IMO. I am glad the people had enjoyed it, but watching all these mostly young girls I couldn't help wondering about the sense of spending hundreds of pounds for  this kind of experience. Also, the feeling of "how much money can we squeeze from the fans" was all in the air and a bit depressing.
B. talk was of course charming, but unfortunately all the questions were very obvious and unimaginative, so there was no chance to have him tell something new.

April 27, 2015 3:49 pm  #339

Sadly, queing is a part of pretty much every con experiance.
Actually it's a big part of a lot of life's big events! 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 27, 2015 5:59 pm  #340

miriel68 wrote:

I am glad the people had enjoyed it, but watching all these mostly young girls I couldn't help wondering about the sense of spending hundreds of pounds for  this kind of experience. Also, the feeling of "how much money can we squeeze from the fans" was all in the air and a bit depressing.

I guess the girls took it as "once in a lifetime" experience, so they sacrificed the money. But it was hellishly expensive, that´s true....

Board footera