BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2015 5:44 am  #1

Has anyone managed to work out a timeframe for this show?

Study in Pink starts with the first 3 murders, but everything after Sherlock is introduced is limited to about 48 hours. I'm guessing it's late spring because of the rain in the first scene and the fact that the characters don't seem particularly warmly dressed. Let's call it Spring 2010.

The Blind Banker tells us that Sherlock is 8 years removed from university, making him 29-30. There's definitely indiciation that time has passed since the last episode, but it doesn't seem to be very much based on the fact that  interactions b/w Watson and Sherlock are still a little stiff and they're both getting used to each other.  Let's say late Spring 2010.

The Great Game definitely seems to pick up later, but I don't think there's anything that allows us to put a date on it. Maybe early 2011?

Scandal in Belgravia starts by talking about John blogging cases we've never heard of, so clearly some time has passed. The one blog post shown on the screen includes the date May 30th. Time passes, and Lestrade mentions a plane crash in Dusseldorf the day before. They celebrate the holidays, and Irene gives Sherlock the phone at Christmas. She says she let Sherlock Holmes hold onto it for 6 months, so a year has passed since the start of the episode. When Mycroft is talking about Bond Air, he says that a passenger had "missed his flight" so to speak on a similar project with the Germans a "while back" (meaning the Dusseldorf crash). So this episode would go from early 2011 through xmas 2011 and into mid-2011.

Hounds takes place over a single weekend. Let's say it's still Summer 2011.

Reichenbach is kind of ambigous, there's a montage at the beginning where they're solving cases that looks like it builds over several months. Then Morarity breaks into the Tower of London. I got the impression that it was at least a few months before he went to trial but I might be wrong. After the trial, Sherlock is on-guard and assassins start moving in. Then Donovan goes to the higher-ups about Sherlock, and things pretty much happen overnight from there. Maybe Fall 2011?

Then two years pass

Empty Hearse seems to be only set over a week or so. It finishes right after Guy Falkes night (november 5th) So this would be Fall 2013

Sign of Three focuses on what appears to be a spring/summer wedding.  Let's say they get married in summer 2014, because Mary doesn't look hugely pregnant at Christmas or in HLV so it can't have been more than six months or so.

His Last Vow is convoluted but picks up about a month after the wedding I believe. John finds Sherlock, meets with Magnussen the same afternoon, and the two break into CAM's office that night. Sherlock gets shot, starts to recover. When he, John, and Mary sit down to talk, he says he was shot last week. Then we move to Christmas, at which point Mary is visibly pregnant but not huge. Sherlock takes the laptop and kills CAM. He's then put on a plane, probably within the week. So this episode would start in late summer and finish Christmas 2014.

I'm sure there are mistakes, so let me know and I'll edit it

Last edited by melissak334 (January 3, 2015 5:46 am)

January 3, 2015 1:22 pm  #2

Re: Has anyone managed to work out a timeframe for this show?

Nicely done.  Looks pretty accurate to me.  BTW, thanks for doing this.  I really like something like this that gives the show's timeline - it gives me a here and now perspective.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

January 3, 2015 1:25 pm  #3

You can get some information here although it is not completely accurate. But the day Sherlock and John meet at least is: 29 January. 

http://www.johnwatsonblog.co.uk

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 15, 2015 5:20 pm  #4

Hi there. I am new to the show, but, since finding it I have become quite obsessed (as I'm sure many of you can sympathize with) and have watched all the episodes a few times through.  I've been reading this forum and lots of other blogs, etc., for a whileas well, but have yet to comment. I'm glad I found this topic because I've been wanting to point something out.  

The timeline most agree on seems right except for when you include soomething Sherlock says in tSoT. When he is having the epiphany about John's middle name he says that, "....it took him YEARS to tell me." (and this is pretty much Sherlock's emphasis). Then the joke is that John never even told him, but Sherlock actually managed to eventually get John's birth certificate in order to find it out.  My point is that since he clearly already knows the name in aSiB because John just says it to him and Irene. And since tGG and aSiB appear to be near continuous in time (with the phone call happening at the pool, wait, is it? I should go back and make sure....), this would mean that something Sherlock would term "years" goes by in just the first series, between aSiP and tGG...or maybe aSiB, if there is a time lapse between the two.

At any rate, I would say something took "years" in a somewhat annoyed tone unless it was at least 4-5 years. Certainly no less than 2 years.  This would also tie in to Sherlock saying he had been "expecting something like this for a long time" in tGG. Seemed a little dramatic if it is only a year or so.  Anyway, interested in your thoughts and in getting into the discussions. I'm pleased to be here

April 20, 2015 2:49 pm  #5

I agree with you say about the "years", cmstomps, but then HLV wouldn't have happened yet ;)

Real-life explanation: Mofiss messed up (again) . I also think that if Dr. John H. Watson was so obsessed with keeping his real name a secret he wouldn't simply blurt it out in front of Irene Adler, blackmailer extraordinary.

In-universe explanation: Sherlock was lying about John telling him, so he could just as easily have lied about the "years". Probably, Sherlock being Sherlock, it didn't take him more than a few days to find out the name once he wanted to know.

April 20, 2015 2:58 pm  #6

hi , I think you may be interested to this
http://bakerstreet.wikia.com/wiki/Sherlock_Timeline,
just in case you miss it

Board footera