BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 19, 2015 12:53 pm  #201

Re: This wedding is an extremely strange one!

My first thought was that it's a practical solution to re-use actors/actresses for minor parts. Just like in LotR, some stuntmen play maybe two or three different orcs or uruk-hais in the same movie. Convenience.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 19, 2015 1:33 pm  #202

There are thousands of actresses looking for jobs. Why use the same one twice? And I would not compare these parts with more or less faceless Uruk-Hai.

Last edited by SusiGo (April 19, 2015 1:34 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 19, 2015 1:39 pm  #203

Great find!  I suspect that they might just be re-using an extra too (she has glasses in the courtroom, but not at the wedding), but it would be great if there really was a connection.   I feel we never get to find out enough about the guests.

April 19, 2015 3:12 pm  #204

Wow, that gives one pause.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 20, 2015 7:18 am  #205

Sorry to be a downer, but think of the fact, that we talk about a creative team here that hardly goes beyond the borders of their own families for main castings, not even the dogs. As much as I would love to believe that this might show a connection between Mary and Moriarty I could very well believe it's just lazy casting. Maybe I'm just not a firm believer in conspiracies.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

April 20, 2015 9:56 am  #206

I'm afraid I'm with you on this one, mrshouse. And same with me, as much as I'd love this to be evidence for a connection between Mary and Moriarty, I think that in this case they would have had to make it a bit clearer. I personally had to take a really close look to see that it's the same actress in the courtroom and at the wedding.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 20, 2015 10:24 am  #207

Thats interesting @Susie...as the nightclub bouncers/thugs at the wedding also seem to double as the Waters gang bank robbers.
Perhaps Marys family...could see her now....

April 20, 2015 11:29 am  #208

Mary's family - I  that idea 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 20, 2015 11:34 am  #209

Yes, indeed. And it would fit her reaction to the telegram as well. Could be fear of having her criminal family ties exposed. I will have a closer look at the guests and the Waters gang again. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 20, 2015 12:10 pm  #210

If I consider the guests as her (criminal) family, that gives a whole new spin indeed... 

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

April 20, 2015 12:12 pm  #211

I love this idea. One might argue that Sherlock checked them but we do not know if he checked everyone as thoroughly as David (he was her ex, after all). And he did not see through Mary either. 

April 20, 2015 12:18 pm  #212

I doubt he checked each one. Analyzing hand writing and card stocks, yes, but going into further details? I think even Sherlock lacked the time for that. His concerns mostly waved around John's wellbeing at that particular day. And overall he missed A LOT in S3.

April 20, 2015 12:21 pm  #213

We only see him checking David and Sholto, and in both cases he had strong reasons to do so. So, yes, others might have slipped through his net. 

April 20, 2015 12:28 pm  #214

Sherlock has to learn so much in this series. Maybe it just didn't occur to him that a wedding could have its fishy elements?

July 23, 2015 12:55 pm  #215

I just read something on tumblr that made me think: 

Major Sholto never replies to the wedding invitation (we see John and Mary both being surprised when he makes his appearance). We see him putting on his dress uniform before the church ceremony (immediately following Sherlock's "Into battle") but he does not go to church. He does not even appear at the door of the banquet room where all guests are received by the couple and their best man. He only appears when the reception has already started although he must have been in his uniform for hours. Which is strange. 
But what is even stranger: How could he have been in the wedding picture rehearsals and get stabbed by the photographer? When does this take place? We see him coming into the room where he is greeted by John and next everybody is sitting down for the meal and the speech. 

July 23, 2015 3:20 pm  #216

Never thought of that, that's a good point. I don't know if it's different in UK, but Sholto doesn't play any particular role in the wedding (not related, or best man, to bride or groom, not the usher, or any other functional role). So why would he even be in the wedding picture rehearsals? (And is there such a thing as a wedding picture rehearsal at all?!)

I can't remember right now, but was John and Mary in that particular wedding picture rehearsal? Because if they were, it makes no sense at all. If they weren't, then that could have been done in between the church and the reception (that is normally a waiting time in Norwegian weddings, because that is when the bride and groom wil go off to take their pictures). 

But if that is the case, then the photographer should have been with John and Mary, not with the rest of the guests. No, it doesn't make sense. Unless everybody got dressed and made up a day or two before for the rehearsal, but that sounds kind of stupid.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 23, 2015 3:30 pm  #217

Of course they needed the rehearsal for the case to work but there is actually no time for doing this. It must have happened after Sholto entered the banquet room because Sherlock, Mary, and John were surprised to see him. But there is definitely no time after that. And it cannot have happened days before the wedding because then John would have known that Sholto was going to attend. 

July 24, 2015 11:50 am  #218

What makes you think that there were wedding picture rehearsals? From what I see the photographer was taking pictures on the wedding day, staged pictures in front of the church,  snapshots at the reception.
I suppose at some moment the photographer must have asked groups of guests to pose for him, which gave him the opportunity to stab Sholto. On-screen-time is rather compressed for the wedding reception.
Sholto couldn't have been stabbed at a rehearsal (I'm assuming that any rehearsal would have taken place at least the day before the actual wedding) because we are supposed to believe that the stabbed person bleeds out once the belt is removed.

July 24, 2015 12:04 pm  #219

My mistake. Mix-up with the explanation of the previous stabbing. It still does not change my opinion that we do not get any hint when the photos were taken. And they put stress on showing us how late Sholto was for the wedding.

July 24, 2015 7:46 pm  #220

SusiGo wrote:

I just read something on tumblr that made me think: 

Major Sholto never replies to the wedding invitation (we see John and Mary both being surprised when he makes his appearance). We see him putting on his dress uniform before the church ceremony (immediately following Sherlock's "Into battle") but he does not go to church. He does not even appear at the door of the banquet room where all guests are received by the couple and their best man. He only appears when the reception has already started although he must have been in his uniform for hours. Which is strange. 

Major Sholto gets frequent death threats and must live in a hidden place, in a solitary confinement, for his own safety, so I guess, he plans to appear at John´s wedding unpredictably, after they almost gave up on him. That makes a chance of a sudden attempt on his life a bit lower - most people would probably think he won´t come and give up the plan to murder him. It was a pure chance this murderer was so tenacious.....

SusiGo wrote:

But what is even stranger: How could he have been in the wedding picture rehearsals and get stabbed by the photographer? When does this take place? We see him coming into the room where he is greeted by John and next everybody is sitting down for the meal and the speech. 

From the look of it, the guest were photographed shortly before Sherlock´s long speech. In my opinion, that´s why Major Sholto didn´t bleed to death during the speech itself.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera