BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 11, 2015 12:52 pm  #1

The live broadcast of Ben in Shanghai Function

http://events.youku.com/2015/mggs/
The brandwdith seems not stable . Just try to refresh it

Enjoy

April 11, 2015 7:44 pm  #2

Re: The live broadcast of Ben in Shanghai Function

Thank you, it´s great! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 13, 2015 8:53 pm  #3

There has been a ton of pictures from Ben's trip to China in the last few days. 

And one video of a interview (plus a translated transcript) that appeared on the internet today...

http://yule.sohu.com/20150412/n411138767.shtml

Scroll down past the large initial picture to the smaller screen and click for the 9 and a half minute interview.  You can't hear the questions asked but if you read the interview (below) the questions are much the same. 

Interview transcript -

“Curly Fu” Cumberbatch: Looking Forward to the Birth of His Baby

Curly Fu appears in Shanghai to attend endorsement activity

Sohu Entertainment News (written by Sen Yue; videographer: Zhao Mingqi) The British actor who has been affectionately nicknamed as “Curly Fu” by playing the tall and slender, dark-haired Holmes in BBC’s TV series, <Sherlock>, Benedict Cumberbatch visited Shanghai, to promote the China vehicle which he is now the spokesperson. In addition to that, he will also host the Laureus World Sports Awards. 2015 is the cultural exchange year between China and Britain, it is most appropriate for Cumberbatch, who has a strong fanbase among the young China audience, to be the cultural exchange ambassador.

Cumberbatched laughed over his nickname “Curly Fu”, he pointed at his golden brown hair and said, the fans must be disappointed, this is his real hair colour, that he doesn’t have the curly dark hair as shown in the TV series. After long hours of flying, Cumberbatch did not rest, he visited the Fuxing Park instead, to get the China feel at the park, and talked with great interest about a type of “group dance” that he saw at the park. The newly married Cumberbatch also did not avoid talking about his life planning, he said he is looking forward to the birth of his child, learning how properly arrange his work and life after becoming a father, and decided to set a good example for his child.

Cumberbatch, who has been actively involved in stage play and television series for many years in the UK, is being seen collaborating more with Hollywood blockbusters in recent years. He not only appeared in blockbusters like <Star Trek Into Darkness>, <The Hobbit>, also took up the leading role in Oscar film like <The Imitation Game> and so on. He also broke the news that he and his good friend has set up a movie production company, and may get involved in behind the scene work, he also told us that if he would to direct a movie, it would be something that he is good at, like suspense and drama.

First Stop in Shanghai: Go To the Park To See the Open-Air Fitness Dance

Sohu Entertainment (“SE”): This is your first time in Shanghai, where have you been? Is there anything that impresses you most?

Benedict Cumberbatch (“BC”): I arrived in Shanghai this morning. First of all, this city is very big, there are a lot of factories and enterprises, and is very diverse. I admit that it’s different from what I imagined it would be. There are lots of different kinds of buildings, very uniquely Shanghai, which gave me a very deep impression. I would have to stay in this city longer to be able to tell you how I really feel about it, but now I like it. The first thing that I did when I arrived in Shanghai, is to go to a park and strolled around, see the people exercising at the park, some were doing Tai Chi, some were flying kites, and some were doing some sort of a group dance. I’m very happy to be able to see part of the life of the people of China.

SE: You mentioned that you would like to watch the Shanghai F1 race, who is your favourite racer?

BC: Lewis Hamilton. We became friends instantly, even though at our second meeting, we were like old friends. In fact, all the racers are very friendly. I admire them, because they are engaged in a work that is of high risk and high technology. The racing scene is always exciting.

Venture into Behind the Scenes: If Becoming A Director, Would Choose Suspense

SE: Do you like the busy schedule? If you feel stress with work, how do you distress?

BC: How to deal with pressure, this is a very good question. To be honest, I have never being trapped in such situation before, to cope with the pressure is something that an actor must learn. When I am at work, I would do my best to portray the character, did not pay much attention to pressure, because that would make one to be drown in it. Although I have many social identities, but when it comes down to it, I am an actor. No matter what others said about you is good or bad, you can’t pay so much attention to what others said; keep yourself focused, to strike a responsive chord with the director, other co-actors and the audience. If you only care about whether or not other people like you, and whether you really possess the thing that they like about you, then you will be vexed, and this is very dangerous…all this while, I only concentrated on doing what is right, and do not careabout the comments made by the public and the media.

SE: You said that you would like to venture into behind the scenes work, is there any plan for that?

BC: Nothing as yet. However, me and my good friend Adam Selves and Ackland started a production company. We are looking for original works, something that will let us hear or see good ideas, which cam being some new experience to the movie, that kind of fantastic thinking. As a director, I wish that when I become a director for the first time, I would start from something that I am good in. The first production will emphasize on the acting, and hopefully will have some good performance. A very good process, from concept to production, needs a lot or work, but I like it.

SE: If you were a director, you would tend to pick what kind of subject for your story?

BC: I like stories that are related to characters, it can be a suspense, drama or anything similar to <The Imitation Game>. In other words, I would like to start from what I am good at, and see how it feels from the two aspects of form and content. All in all, we want to produce some good quality movies that the audience like through our combined hard work, that’s all.

SE: You are nominated again as Best Actor in BAFTA this year, are you confident to win?

BC: Not really. This character (referring to Sherlock) has been nominated twice at BAFTA, the other two characters have also been nominated twice. I am very thankful for the nomination, but I am also used to be the underdog. But that’s fine. In fact, to be able to be nominated is something that makes me very happy indeed. I know, “Sherlock” is a popular character, but the reason people like him is different from those who like the Holmes character in the books. Actually, this special character was also explored by the audience on their own, and it grew on them. I am surprised to have been nominated again.

SE: What is your plan for next year? What do you plan to do to be a good father?

BC: I was once a child. I know, a father can set a lot of good examples for a child. I can take very good care of him/her. Do not hinder or restrict the development of children, they will inspire you, make you understand the world better. I anticipate the birth of my child; it will be a very important, or perhaps the most important part of my life, that is what many of my friends believe too. I have to learn time management, this is not easy, but every parent is trying to do that, I think I can have it arranged properly.

Father-to-be: Already thinking about the children when buying a car

SE: Do you know the fans in China call you “Curly Fu”?

BC: Yes, I do, it’s nice, I don’t mind that. But, does my hair become very curly when it grows longer? I guess a lot of Chinese, once their hair grows longer, it won’t become curly. Maybe they call me that because it’s easier to say. The Sherlock that I portrayed has dark curly hair. But the makeup process is a pain in the ass. The time that they spent on doing my hair is longer than makeup, it’s more troublesome than the actresses who sported short hair in the series. I don’t have Sherlock’s long and curly dark hair, which may be something that is disappointing for them, but this is my real hair colour.

SE: You will soon be a father, what will you pay attention to when you buy a car?

BC: I will consider what the family needs, the environment, safety and the joy of driving as well as the comfortableness, maybe you will never own a perfect car. This is the first time I become a father, before that, I am glad that I had driven powerful and very fast sports car in London before. I drove a second-hand MINI and other models of cars, driving these cars gave me much pleasure. But now, driving a car is not just for me alone, I have to think of my family, and ecological environment is very important too. To bring a child to this world, the parents have to be responsible for his/her future. Actually, when I was very little, I wish to have an MG, but there was not enough space at him, my father said it is impossible for me to buy an MGB, because we only have one parking lot.

I would like to credit the site of Londonphile as the source of the links to the video and the transcript.
*****************************************************************************************************************

I love that he is expressing his thoughts towards fatherhood - he has given this a lot of consideration and seems very well prepared for this change in his life.  Sophie and he will have a lot to look forward in the coming years and both must be thrilled with becoming parents. 

And I understand fully his frustration about his hair.  I know a lot of people on this board have expressed their views about Ben's hair and their preference for the long, curly locks of Sherlock but I actually enjoy that Ben has a chance when not working on BBC Sherlock to have his hair the way he likes it to be.  And I think any way he has his coiffure is OK by me because he still looks beautiful (he couldn't look anything else because it's his personality that makes him look beautiful). 

-Val

Last edited by Ah-chie (April 13, 2015 8:57 pm)

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

April 14, 2015 2:56 pm  #4

Here's a new video of Ben being interviewed before hosting the Laureus Sports Event in Shanghai -

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32304474

I love hearing his take on meeting his heroes.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

April 14, 2015 5:38 pm  #5

Apparently he's currently in Shanghai for "promotional activities for the 2015 UK-China Year of Cultural Exchange," and there are a bunch of articles and interviews:
Womenofchina
CRI news
Daily Mail 

During a press conference there, he talked about impending fatherhood, and filmed an ad for MG cars (video here).

Last edited by REReader (April 14, 2015 5:38 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

April 14, 2015 6:25 pm  #6

I just got very teary-eyed hearing him talk about his child... gosh. 

He's an interesting man to listen to isn't he? He has so many opinions and it's lovely! Also, he's got a very clear speech! 

I'm a bit hearing impaired but I never have issues hearing what Ben says. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 14, 2015 8:34 pm  #7

Here's another short vieo from Laureus that's a promo for the event but it does have Ben talking about how thrilled he is to be a part of it again this year. 

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152866581705777

And here's another video from "Londonphile" of the interview that includes the beginning and ending bit not seen before -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tWpW1eRfGC8

I love the sound of his voice when he talks about becoming a father.  He sounds so dedicated to his ideals about parenting and fatherhood (no doubt a reflection on the loving upbringing he received from his own parents). 

And if I may be a bit silly for a moment... I think one of the phrases he uses that I love the sound of the most is when he says "a lot of" - it just rolls off his tongue in such a lovely way that it alwaysmakes me smile just a bit wider when I hear it coming from him.     But, really who am I kidding - I love hearing say just about anything! 

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

April 14, 2015 8:53 pm  #8

He looks stunning in a T-shirt honestly! I mean I love him in a suit, but he really dress down nicely too. 

He sounds so passionate about becoming a father; oh how I wish more fathers were that way! But it warms my heart.

I paid attention to the 'a lot of' now... it's a great sound "aloloaf" it sounds like in my ears. 
Sometimes he speaks so slow and articulate and sometimes the words just roll off of his tongue like that... but even with my hearing I have never found myself having to rewind an interview with him. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 15, 2015 12:09 am  #9

Here's an article at Celebitchy that mentions his Shanghai visit http://www.celebitchy.com/421613/benedict_cumberbatch_at_the_big_mg_event_in_shanghai_hot_or_meh/, there are some photos and a YouTube video of him speaking as MG brand ambassador. Sorry if you've seen all this before 

Last edited by ukaunz (April 15, 2015 12:12 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 15, 2015 3:31 pm  #10

http://v1.tv.cctv5.cctv.com/ishare/play/play.html?id=495919
Here is another video. I guess it is the commencing ceremony co-hosted by Ben and Ah-Ping Tang, an olympic table tennis gold medalist. There's a chinese dubbing but you are still managed to hear their english conversation.

April 15, 2015 8:10 pm  #11

Haha, you've got to love his humour!

He seems a lot more at ease this year, that's clear to see! Lets hope no teeth were knocked out there! There was some serious speed behind that ball! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera