BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2013 9:49 pm  #21

Re: To The End's of the Earth

It's really good, I liked it very much. And he's very good at playing a character who is sometimes quite unlikeable and who makes you feel for him yet. 
When I was reading PE I could hardly bear reading the last chapters because I was so afraid that something bad would happen to him or Valentine. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 5, 2014 5:19 pm  #22

I bought the DVDs a little while ago, and on Friday I finally sat down to watch parts 2 and 3 after a long and exhausting week at work. And I really loved it. I'm not generally a fan of period pieces or seafaring stories, but I liked this one. It felt quite real, and I think painted a halfway realistic picture of what months-long journeys at sea in the 19th century must have been like.

Benedict was wonderful in the role of Talbot and portrayed the character's journey very well. Talbot also had a wonderful range of character traits and emotions we saw, from arrogant prick to empathic friend. A real joy to watch.

April 9, 2014 2:49 pm  #23

I mentioned this series to my friends, praising it - and when I was returning from our meeting I suddenly saw DVDs with this series being sold in our local magazine shop. I grabbed it and bought it immediately!  

What a pity such things never happen to me when I mention money, through.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 9, 2014 4:19 pm  #24

I absolutely loved this story.
But if I'm completely honest it will always stand out in my mind as the first time I saw Benedict's bare bottom.  *giggle*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 9, 2014 4:49 pm  #25

Ahem, tonnaree   

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 5, 2014 10:16 pm  #26

June 5, 2014 10:25 pm  #27

Perfect moment to be off...
Nighty night, pretties.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

July 8, 2014 9:36 pm  #28

I'm watching this at the moment, when I get the time, and loving it!  I realise that I've come across some spoilers by looking at this thread, but I couldn't resist!  I think all the cast are great in this and love the feel of the wide open sea and sky combined with the claustrophobia of the ship.   The sounds help to create different atmospheres (dread, playfulness) as appropriate.  I didn't expect it to be so gripping! 

I didn't find the character unlikeable either.  He comes across as very young, innocent and sometimes rather pompous or callous, but seems to have a genuine desire to learn and to do the right thing.   He's rather sweet at times.  He's privileged but has to accept the baggage that goes along with that privilege (he's the one who has to try to persuade the captain to stop at South Africa - and then the one who has to go back and jolly the passengers along when he knows they're all likely to die).  He seems willing enough to take responsibility when he has to, and keen to do his duty, and he feels guilt and shame when he gets it wrong.  I'm finding it a touching portrayal of a young man growing up. 

July 10, 2014 6:56 pm  #29

Good God!  I've now watched the whole trilogy and would highly recommend it.  I've ordered the books.  Looking at the short excerpt on Amazon, I think that Benedict captured the voice of Talbot perfectly.  All the characters were good and not stereotypical, but I felt Talbot's character had a lot of depth, despite sometimes being "shallow" .

There didn't seem to be a boring moment in the whole thing.   There were some bits I didn't like so much. I found it difficult to believe in the love story (a short contact when Talbot was clearly suffering from the effects of a head injury, and then his love interest travelling from India to Australia just to bump into him?).    I felt that Zenobia was ignored after the first part of the trilogy and I didn't understand why - I presume it was a reflection on Talbot (he just didn't notice her any more), but I felt it could have been elaborated and I would have liked to know more about her character.   I love that it's all from Talbot's point of view, but it's also a weakness in that we only get to see what he sees, and he seems to switch his interests. 

There is lots for BC fans because he's in just about every scene for three books worth!   He seemed to be arousing my maternal instincts rather than my more lustful instincts, as he does appear and act very young in this, sometimes appearing adolescent or even verging on childlike (the tussle at Prettiman's cabin).  It was released in 2005 when he was, what, 29?  I'd say he comes across as barely 20, and younger at times.  I hope the book will tell me what age he is supposed to be, but does anybody know?   Anyway, despite looking so youthful, I still think he's really attractive in this, and some of the other members off the cast aren't so bad either .   It's very watchable in terms of male eye candy.   A couple of nude scenes too. 

I liked that Talbot developed through the stories without completely transforming (even near the end, I cringed when he told Sumners that he could hardly discuss philosophy with him) ... and then is almost having to start from the beginning again in new environment. 

I loved the swings in mood of the series, from funny to awful to tragic and all over the place.   I'd like to watch this again, and am looking forward to the books.

November 23, 2014 9:33 pm  #30

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

December 28, 2014 1:19 pm  #31

We just finished watching this series the other day and I LOVED it totally!

Both of us are huge fans of the Hornblower series (with Ioan Gruffudd) and love stories about tall ships so it was a natural fit that something like this would appeal to me.  But even beyond that I really was blown away by the whole atmosphere of the production - the dirt, the close quarters and the concentration to detail especially surrounding the isolation of the "community" on the ship.  Golding's outlook on society was very dark indeed - but also very interesting.   

And of course it was remarkable how BC wasn't yet 30 when it was made but he was mature beyond his years as an actor (especially since the production really rested on the quality of his performance since he was in nearly every scene).  Really impressive. 

And to think too that at some point during the making of this he had the trauma of his abduction to deal with as well...

I was utterly fascinated with the whole story and he pulled it off nicely, showing the progression of Edmund Talbot from the shallow but basically good youth he was when the story began to the wiser, deeper man he was by the end of his voyage of discovery.  

A huge range of emotions displayed on the screen in such a role - he was masterful over all three parts.  I couldn't have been an easy role to take on.

I read through all the comments in this thread and although I can appreciate that some didn't like the happy (or should I say happier) ending it worked for me for the most part.  I think Talbot really deserved the possibility that he may find love.  It wasn't carved in stone (we don't know for absolutely sure that Marian would be able to connect with Edmund on a profound level) but it did give us a hint that it would happen.  I normally am not one for sentimental endings but it is always eventually dependent on whether I think the protagonist has truly earned his happiness and in this case I think Edmund did.  And I also mean that he earned in a story sense (not just within the plot but in a natural way that suits the actual characters' lives in the story) - I can see that his character yearned for some happiness and it wasn't just laid on to make us geel good at the end (that is what I hate the most about sentimental endings).  This ending felt natural for Edmund.

The only thing I didn't like really about the story was that we never find out what happened to Summers after the fire (or anyone else except the Prettimans).  I would have liked a bit more closure with Summers especially because of Edmund's relationship with him. 

But there were so many things that I completely love about this series that I can forgive the few issues that I have with the small things. 

Benedict made Edmund into a very deep human being, full of frailities and strengths - lust, love, ambition, stubborness, intelligence, naivity, outrage, pettiness, silliness, arrogance, kindness and vulnerability.  He just was  a joy to watch.  Sometimes I was so frustrated with his snobbery and then I just wanted to hold him close to comfort him.  

I certainly will watch this one many more times.

-Val 

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

December 28, 2014 2:18 pm  #32

The book gives a lot more detail about the fates of the characters at the end.  I won't give any spoilers, in case you're planning to read them!  

December 28, 2014 2:40 pm  #33

Thanks - I just might do that (read the books).

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 24, 2015 9:46 am  #34

You guys have all done a great job of reviewing and analysing the miniseries and Benedict's performance, I can't really add anything  . I just watched all three episodes over yesterday and today, and really loved it. I found myself drawn right into Edmund's journey. I can't get over Benedict's versatility and talent. The man is just amazing 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 8, 2015 9:31 am  #35

I was having serious Benedict withdrawals lately but managed to convince my husband to watch To the Ends of the Earth with me today. I was pretty sure he would like it even though he usually likes action/thriller/horror etc. Anyway, I think he enjoyed the story. He didn't fall asleep, and he laughed a few times at appropriate places 

I was trying hard not to sigh or swoon every time Benedict was on the screen or gush about his beautiful face and body... It was torture having to keep quiet about it!

Found this cute behind-the-scenes photo, wow he looks young

Last edited by ukaunz (April 8, 2015 9:33 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 8, 2015 2:06 pm  #36

I love that series so much (I am rewatching it now whenever I get a few moments). 

BTW that picture is beautiful.  Thanks for posting it.

He really does look younger than his years in that one. 

Is it true that when making To The Ends Of The Earth, besides the horrible trauma of the carjacking, that was when he got a severe sunburn that caused the red lines on his upper lip (that accentuate his already predominately luscious cupid's bow)? 

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

April 8, 2015 9:28 pm  #37

That's what I've read somewhere. I'm not sure if it's mentioned in an interview or an article... I guess someone asked him about it? A bit rude

Board footera