BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 8, 2015 12:43 am  #1

Ben and Loo scheduled at Letters Live

Here's a link to the cumberbatchweb site that has reproduced a limited access article about the Letters Live event in which Ben and Loo will be reading each of the five nights later this month in which the readings will be presented.

http://cumberbatchweb.tumblr.com/post/113007819774/sunday-times-article-on-letters-live-benedict

Sounds like a wonderful event and I am so glad that Ben and Loo will be participating in it. Tickets are being sold for this event - http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/Letters-Live-tickets/artist/2096475?SREF=TWArtist

Here's the Letters Live site with their write-up on the event as well -
http://letterslive.com/

-Val

Last edited by Ah-chie (March 8, 2015 12:47 am)

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

March 8, 2015 6:48 am  #2

Re: Ben and Loo scheduled at Letters Live

Oh, why I'm never in London when such events take place? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

March 18, 2015 8:06 pm  #3

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 19, 2015 6:47 pm  #4

For those who don't want to venture afield, here's the video of Benedict reading one of Alan Turing's letters: 

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

March 20, 2015 12:34 am  #5

I just watched it, I'm impressed at the way Benedict has read it with his Turing voice, but somehow also as himself. Beautifully read.

I think I'm gonna cry now.

Last edited by ukaunz (March 20, 2015 12:37 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 25, 2015 7:30 pm  #6

More from Letters Live: The Telegraph has a video of Benedict reading a letter from the young Alan Turing to Christopher Morcom's mother after Christopher's death.

Last edited by REReader (March 25, 2015 7:30 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

March 26, 2015 5:07 pm  #7

Thanks REReader for that letter reading by BC.

As the date grows closer for the start of Letters Live there is lots of good news -

Here is an excerpt of mentioned participants -

Benedict Cumberbatch and Louise Brealey will take to the stage for every night of the Freemasons’ Hall run, reading letters alongside a diverse array of world class performers each evening, including Joss Ackland, Matt Berry, Sanjeev Bhaskar, Samantha Bond, Russell Brand, Simon Callow, Olivia Colman, Sally Hawkins, Richard Holloway, Toby Jones, Allen Leech, Caitlin Moran, B.J. Novak, Tom Odell, Andrew O’Hagan, Sophie Okenedo, Geoffrey Palmer, Clarke Peters, Jonathan Ross, Alan Rusbridger, Colin Salmon, Andrew Scott, Juliet Stevenson, Tom Sturridge, Ashley Walters, Dominic West, and more.

Other previously confirmed guests not in that first list include Joanne Froggatt, Catlin Moran and Tom Odell.

Also as of today the first night March 1/15 has been completely SOLD OUT and the following night is getting very close to that (only 100 tickets in a 1700 seat venue). 

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

April 3, 2015 10:12 pm  #8

Did no one from this board go to Letters Live?

I have been tracking it online since it started and it seems to have done really well (except for the performance that was cancelled by the electrical street fire of course).  Every night so far (with one night to go) has been a sellout and there aren't many tickets left for the final night either.

The majority of the tweets have been very, very positive and comments have been tremendously glowing of Ben, Loo and everyone involved.  I was very pleased that Sophie was also involved in the readings and there were some lovely remarks about her letters that she read. 

Anyone else have comments about it or personal experiences to reveal?

I'm all ears! (having no capacity to actually fly over and see it for myself)

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

April 4, 2015 3:44 pm  #9

We are going tonite. Kids are being spread amongst neighbors, except oldest two. Lucky Peter is now on solids and is a very friendly baby. Looking forward to it although won't see much as am only 4' 10. Still I have great hearing!!!

April 4, 2015 4:57 pm  #10

I just checked the website and the last performance is sold out too. 

Hope you have a great time.  Do hope you will post some feedback for us!

Almost unanimously positive reviews and comments.  From the Ticketmaster's site (scroll down to the comments/reviews section):
http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/Letters-Live-tickets/artist/2096475?tm_link=edp_Artist_Image

It has a perfect 5/5 with nine written reviews.  And many, many tweets have been glowing.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

April 4, 2015 8:21 pm  #11

I would have loved to go there but two Benedict trips to London in a year would have been a bit too much. 

Maybe if they repeat it. The reviews and other reactions have been very positive. And here is a collection of some letters read by Benedict and Louise:

http://letterslive.com/videos

As far as I know Benedict's company SunnyMarch has filmed the performances and I hope that at least parts of it will be made available in some way. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 5, 2015 2:36 am  #12

I can unreservedly say that Letters Live was a resounding success!  Reviews seem unanimously positive from people who attended (both patrons and press).  Every night was performance to a packed house even with the large size of the venue.  The only slight downer was the cancellation of one of the nights (totally understandable with the electrical fire under the street where the hall was located - safety first always!).  But I have a feeling that if that incident hadn't happened all the 5 nights would have sold out (the night that was cancelled was already a sellout before the fire happened).  There also is much talk of this event happening next year as well and many comments have included remarks that indicate that many people are enthusiastic about going to Letters Live again in the future. 

I hope sunnyMarch does put out something in video/film form . It probably will be very well received (like the actual performances were).  I know I would love to see even snippets from the performances.

Here's a very positive reveiw from The Londonist - http://londonist.com/2015/04/letters-live-epistolary-joy-at-freemasons-hall.php 

And another very detailed one from a blogger - https://vickster51corner.wordpress.com/2015/04/04/letters-live-at-the-freemasons-hall-friday-3rd-april-2015/ 

A fan's review of the Friday night performance - http://meetmeatthebookshop.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/letters-live-fri-3-april-2015.html 

And another from a fan called Olga (I think she was there tonight) - https://olgaivannikova.wordpress.com/2015/04/04/on-letters-live/ 

And a final short one that includes a picture of the finale when they came out on stage after the readings - https://www.polaroidblipfoto.com/entry/2031171467328094394 

There are some lovely group photos of the people who participated in tonight's final readings (including Ben, Sophie and Tom H. among many others) on someone's twitter site who goes by the name AnythingCumberbatch - https://twitter.com/Anythingbatch

-Val    

-Benedict Cumberbatch

April 5, 2015 7:17 am  #13

I wish so much that I had been able to go to a Letters Live night. Sounds like a wonderful, moving and entertaining evening. Makes me want to move back to London so that I can see productions such as this (and Hamlet!) when they appear. Also makes me wish for a good penpal! Anyone...? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 5, 2015 4:21 pm  #14

Here are some wonderful stills and a short video of the group after the final performance (from benophie daily site) - 

http://benophiedaily.tumblr.com/

Ben and Sophie look absolutely adorable together here (Sophie is just beaming and Ben is so affectionate) and everyone looks like they had a cracker of a time!  I love how they are insisting that everyone get in on the group shot! 

I hope this isn't too bold but I just read a lovely post on IMBD from a person listed as jshoaf that I just have to share here.  The first part is a quote from the intro to the Letters Live programme from Ben and the second part is the poster's thoughts on that quote...

“Letters Live makes us pause and imagine the lives behind the letters read and the circumstances of their origin. The relationship between the audience, reader and writer helps deepen our understanding of these inspiring artefacts of the human condition."

This reminds me why it is so rewarding to be a BC fan. He is such an unrepentant, unqualified humanist in his approach to his art.

All I can add is... ITA!!

I am so happy that this whole endeavour was so successful - for Ben and the folks involved with SunnyMarch, the Letters Live group, the Letters of Note and To the Letter people and the three literacy charities that this entire thing will benefit.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

April 5, 2015 6:45 pm  #15

A wonderful project. So many talented and committed people coming together. I hope I will get the chance to watch one of the performances some day. 

Board footera