BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 24, 2015 12:56 pm  #201

Re: Oscars

He's so lovely.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 24, 2015 4:00 pm  #202

SusiGo wrote:

Here is Benedict's complete answer to the above gif:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K14N06HzaSo

Thank you for bringing this, SusiGo, it's wonderful!

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

February 24, 2015 8:41 pm  #203

Le sigh….  those quotes from him about just being there, and his happiness, and joy with the rest of those on TIG, and still a little bit of fun snark with the flask/'go away'….  so great. 

Oh my gah… can't believe I stayed up late through the whole thing, when usually don't care about the pomp and watching the shows rather than hearing about the winners and highlights afterwards… but happened to be at mom's while we did some origami for a party and had it on and figured 'why not'… and bemused afterwards that I know from your comments just what parts were happening at the moment. 

Favorite highlights - considering the many upon many actors walking by, was so happy to see one of the network interviewers catch Ben on their podium.  And was staring at his well-dressed self so much, took a second to barely get to notice Karon and Sophie waiting in the background, also so pretty!  And how sweet he was immediately giving a shout-out to his friends and how he was there with his parents and "nearest and dearest".     
Awards shows themselves sometimes drag a bit, although like NPH and pretty well done, although amusedly annoyed how they only panned to the TIG cast/Ben's section once or twice, and frequently on a small number of other actors (yes, I see you, Eastwood).  ;P
A little disappointed for TIG, but hey, we did kinda figure, with the competition.  Which is why one of the best moments of the night for me was Graham's win (and that speech!)    So happy about that… plus the Selma and Song of Music tributes were super nicely touching.  Honestly, though, despite having heard about how good it is (and been meaning to get around to!), I was curiously surprised at how many awards Grand Budapest Hotel swept up.  Wow… definitely need to pick up soon!

Thanks for all the other little tidbits and pics!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

February 25, 2015 1:59 am  #204

My two favourite parts of the show (not counting seeing Ben and Sophie on the red carpet, Ben's little bit with the flask in the opening production number and Ben presenting on stage) was Graham's win for TIG for Best Adapted Screenplay (the speech, the hugs from Ben and others, the standing ovation - the whole thing made me cry) and the performance of Glory on stage (which was so moving and absolutely spectacular - it gave me shivers).

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

February 25, 2015 8:16 am  #205

Ah-chie wrote:

... was Graham's win for TIG for Best Adapted Screenplay (the speech, the hugs from Ben and others, the standing ovation ...)

Yeah, absolutely moving indeed. I really need to engage in Graham's career a little bit more.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 25, 2015 4:15 pm  #206

Here is an interesting article from Forbes about the profitability of the movies that were Oscar contenders.

The Imitation Game stands out as the number one film that got good (actually stellar to be precise) return for the money spent.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/vannale/2015/02/22/oscar-money-watch-the-most-profitable-2015-oscar-movies/

Here highlighted are the TIG parts (but the whole article is an interesting read) -

The Oscar movie with the highest-percentage return by our calculation (a lofty 1,129%) was The Imitation Game. It had a production budget of $14 million and grossed $158 million in global box office sales...American Sniper made the most money of the main Oscar contenders, pulling in $395.4 million globally. Even though Sniper had the widest release of them, opening in 3,885 theaters, The Imitation Game, which was released in 2,235, almost doubled Sniper‘s return-on-investment percentage.While big-budget movies may seem like the best way to roll up big money, our list shows smaller movies can earn a healthy return, too — not just credibility and prestige.

********************************************************************************

Currently, according to Box Office Mojo, TIG has a world-wide BO close to $178,000,000 USD and still is in the top ten movies for the domestic US market after 88 days of release (with a US/Canada BO of slightly over $84 million as of 2/23/15). 

Box Office.com estimates its total budget to be about $33 million (that includes publicity and marketing which the Forbes article didn't include) and even with that added in the movie was a roaring success no matter what. 

The significance of this is that it shows that the project was well worth the investment and that it increased the profile of all involved (not only of BC and the other actors but also for Moore, and Mortum Tyldum as well as the folks at Black Bear Pictures which is a relatively new outfit). 

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 25, 2015 5:08 pm  #207

And, as all involved always remind us, Alan Turing!

It's excellent news no matter how you look at it.

Last edited by REReader (February 25, 2015 6:31 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

February 25, 2015 5:38 pm  #208

Oh, absolutely REReader!

From a humanistic, sociological standpoint the movie's biggest achievement was to disseminate the incredible story of Alan Turing to as wide as audience possible and, as well, to bring into focus the idea that "weird" and "different" people can contribute greatly to our society (and so should be welcomed and treated with respect rather than shunned or treated unjustly). 

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 25, 2015 6:06 pm  #209

All this and it helps enormously in supporting the 49,000 men campaign. I really hope that it will be successful.

Last edited by SusiGo (February 25, 2015 6:13 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 5, 2015 3:03 pm  #210

I do believe that Ben would get another nomination soon and so take this as a rehersal and warm-up
And I admire Ben most is he grasps every chance to talk about Mr Turing and homeosexual campaign. In fact the role of Alan Turing brings Ben a lot recognization but he would rather draw these attention to Mr Turning , not himself. It is valuable

April 5, 2015 4:26 pm  #211

I agree, ivywind. Did you see the clip where the Turing family is talking about the campaign?
There are really happy with the movie and with Benedict's support.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 6, 2015 8:32 am  #212

ivywind wrote:

I do believe that Ben would get another nomination soon and so take this as a rehersal and warm-up

I don't think he will get any Oscar, Bafta or GG nomination "soon" because at the moment he has not a single project which could potentally land such award - certainly not dr Strange film. But in 4-5 years time... who knows? )

Board footera