BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 24, 2015 9:38 pm  #341

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

I'm reading Shift by Hugh Howey at the moment. It's part of a series. I read Wool a while ago and enjoyed it, but I'm finding this one quite boring. Unfortunately I can't give up on a book once I'm this far in, have to finish it. Only problem is I'm very distracted by all things Benedict at the moment and hardly spend any time reading!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 2, 2015 6:25 pm  #342

The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa. I read the three previous books in this book serie last week, for the fifth time ever. I love them so much, they never get boring and I must admit that I have a quite big crush on Ash...

April 2, 2015 6:40 pm  #343

Living Color by Nina G. Jablonski. Non fiction book about the biological origins of human skin colours and their cultural history from ancient Egypt to present.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 2, 2015 1:14 pm  #344

I just read a very hot AU crossover slash fic or whatever it's called... Khan and Arthur Dent, can you imagine it!? It was surprisingly good. Is there somewhere here on the forum where people recommend non-Sherlock fanfics?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 3, 2015 8:34 am  #345

Instrumental by James Rhodes.
I think I need to talk about it when I finished. It's quite disturbing.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 3, 2015 8:36 am  #346

Mattlocked, I wonder if I should really read that during my holidays.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

June 3, 2015 10:58 am  #347

Hm... you should read it, but I can't tell you when.
I like his way of writing, but he is brutally honest and uses also brutal words and descriptions. Which I also like, as it is no "bla bla". Sometimes I had to cry, sometimes I couldn't sleep.
But he also often writes in a quite humorous way, what kind of propitiates again.
So far it touches me deeply and I have to think a lot.... I have to force myself to think of something else sometimes.
So maybe to read after your holidays....
But then again: I am a real pussy. 

June 3, 2015 11:47 am  #348

Well, then I will decide spontaneously. It's on my ebook-reader, so I take it with me anyway.

And, Mattlocked, you are pussy? New to me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

June 3, 2015 11:51 am  #349

Yeah, I was wondering, too.
Pussy, sissy, take what you like.... 

June 3, 2015 12:28 pm  #350

Just got the new Stephen King, Finder's Keepers.  It's a follow up to Mr. Mercedes and is getting good reviews.  There will eventually be a third book with the same characters to make a trilogy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 20, 2015 8:57 pm  #351

I am reading The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter- my daughter's recommendation.  Next is the next of the Game of Thrones books...

Last edited by Davina (June 26, 2015 4:26 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 21, 2015 4:57 pm  #352

I'm reading a book about the history of Witches in Scotland. It's interesting. Even if most got burned which is so cruel it makes me feel bad while reading.

"It is what it is."

June 21, 2015 5:01 pm  #353

Has anyone read The Arcanum by Thomas Wheeler here?
It's a book about Doyle and a secret society he is in with Houdini , H P Lovecraft and the voodoo priestess Mm. Laveau.

June 24, 2015 7:33 pm  #354

Wow… quite a bit of different stuff from all of you!  Still trying to get through my huge stack, and haven't actually gotten this yet, but I figured there might be some common interest, and don't recall seeing it mentioned anywhere on here yet! 

I think 'Letters of Note' might be more 'in depth' or 'fulfilling' to read, perhaps, with longer, intriguing correspondence, but this is a neat idea for our favorite original author to continue on to.  What else do people write a lot of?  Lists!  Shaun Usher is excited his new book, "Lists of Note", is now out, including lists from Marilyn Monroe, Susan Sontag, Sylvia Plath, Christopher Hitchens, Rudyard Kipling, Thelonious Monk (jazz pianist), Walt Whitman, Leonardo da Vinci, and Queen Elizabeth II, and many others.

Can check it out on amazon, or his site - http://www.listsofnote.com

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

June 28, 2015 5:08 pm  #355

currently reading:
A Dance with Dragons by genius G.R.R. Martin (although this volume is a little boring)
Asylon by a German writer (Thomas Elbel), a story taking place in a future far beyond.

Can't live without reading books and i mostly read 2 or 3 books at the same time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

July 6, 2015 2:20 pm  #356

Just finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.  Have been meaning to read this for a long time and so glad I finally did.  The story is quietly devestating.  I honestly cried reading the last third.  It has some pround things to say about how important words are and how they can affect our lives.

Highly reccomended.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 20, 2015 5:20 am  #357

jenosborn wrote:

reading  "A Slight Trick of the Mind"  by Mitch Cullin.   Looking forward to Ian McKellan as the aging post -WWII Sherlock.

Saw the movie this evening ("Mr. Holmes"),  really enjoyed it.   Very good performances, and mood.

I did really enjoy this book,  and have recommended it to several friends,  especially
those with aging loved ones.

July 20, 2015 8:50 am  #358

"Hamlet"... bilingual... to prepare for a certain event.

I am sure that I won't understand half of what is being said in this play. Good that I already know two other adaptions.  

Last edited by gently69 (July 20, 2015 8:53 am)

(Tony Hadley)

July 20, 2015 2:59 pm  #359

Oh gently, you'll be fine. An English teacher once said to me that it's really not important to understand every single sentence when it comes to Shakespeare. Just try to get into the mood and it'll just flow.
Great advice, if you ask me.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 20, 2015 3:07 pm  #360

Yeah, I felt the flow with that OTHER actor already, Solar.

(Tony Hadley)

Board footera