BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 2, 2015 10:49 am  #41

Re: Entertainment movies vs Good movies

Yes, that's a matter of taste.
I, for example, can not eat popcorn while watching Potter or Die Hard, because I really, really have to concentrate on Alan Rickman! 

Sorry for intervening. *walks off stage again*

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

April 2, 2015 11:34 am  #42

Alan Rickman... who he?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 2, 2015 11:36 am  #43

Any movie without David Tennant is a popcorn movie? 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 2, 2015 11:50 am  #44

Solar, your turn again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

April 2, 2015 12:04 pm  #45

She lost her speech by the shocking thought of a movie without DT 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 2, 2015 12:07 pm  #46

Any movie without David Tennant shouldn't have been done in the first place. Unless of course Benedict Cumberbatch is in it.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

April 2, 2015 12:08 pm  #47

Yeah, at the moment this a sensitive topic.

Edit: She's back!!!

Last edited by gently69 (April 2, 2015 12:09 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

April 2, 2015 12:09 pm  #48

So we have "movies that shouldn't have been done" and "good movies". Fine with me 

April 2, 2015 12:10 pm  #49

LOL, another good suggestion, Harriet.

(Tony Hadley)

April 2, 2015 12:15 pm  #50

And how simple - insert the actor or whatever it is and then it's easy to distinguish 

April 2, 2015 12:17 pm  #51

I would appreciate if if we could go back to discussing the topic of the thread.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 2, 2015 12:18 pm  #52

Oh, we should open an extra thread for this: Movies that never should have been done - sounds like fun.

April 2, 2015 12:21 pm  #53

Would it be ok to add some popcorn movies there?

Sorry Vhanja.

April 2, 2015 12:32 pm  #54

Vhanja wrote:

I would appreciate if if we could go back to discussing the topic of the thread.

Sorry Vhanja.

I can't folllow your kind of categorisation. So I'm off here for now.

(Tony Hadley)

April 2, 2015 12:33 pm  #55

Vhanja wrote:

No problem.
To illustrate why categorizing films or tv shows in whatever way doesn't usually work for me, let me give an example back from when I was 14 years old. It's a tv show and not a film, sorry for that, but I think it's not too far off from what we've been talking about here so far.
When I was 14 years old I saw "Star Trek - The Next Generation". This show changed my life. Most people would probably put it in the "entertainment/popcorn" category, and they'd even be right. It is entertainment, it is science fiction, a lot of money went into that show. But for me there was - and still is - so much more to it. This show talks about a future where on earth there is no more hunger, no more war, no more racism or discrimination of people who are different or look different. It talks about equality, about peace, about open-mindedness, about the importance of friendship and being able to rely on other people... and so much more.
Like I said, for a lot of people it's just another entertaining tv show. For me it's not. How would I categorize it, looking at the categories that have been mentioned here? A good show? A Good show?

In the end it's all a bit too much of stereotyped thinking for me - and sorry for that word, in German we have the word "Schubladendenken" ('cupboard thinking' - you have a cupboard for everthing - this limits you in your thinking). During my four years of studying film and television at university I learned pretty much everything there is to learn about how to approach a movie, how to analyze it, about genres and so much more. But I find it quite liberating to forget about these things as often as possible, because it really limits me and quite often feels as if I'm too prejudiced towards certain kinds of films.

April 2, 2015 12:40 pm  #56

SolarSystem wrote:

No problem.
To illustrate why categorizing films or tv shows in whatever way doesn't usually work for me, let me give an example back from when I was 14 years old. It's a tv show and not a film, sorry for that, but I think it's not too far off from what we've been talking about here so far.
When I was 14 years old I saw "Star Trek - The Next Generation". This show changed my life. Most people would probably put it in the "entertainment/popcorn" category, and they'd even be right. It is entertainment, it is science fiction, a lot of money went into that show. But for me there was - and still is - so much more to it. This show talks about a future where on earth there is no more hunger, no more war, no more racism or discrimination of people who are different or look different. It talks about equality, about peace, about open-mindedness, about the importance of friendship and being able to rely on other people... and so much more.
Like I said, for a lot of people it's just another entertaining tv show. For me it's not. How would I categorize it, looking at the categories that have been mentioned here? A good show? A Good show?

In the end it's all a bit too much of stereotyped thinking for me - and sorry for that word, in German we have the word "Schubladendenken" ('cupboard thinking' - you have a cupboard for everthing - this limits you in your thinking). During my four years of studying film and television at university I learned pretty much everything there is to learn about how to approach a movie, how to analyze it, about genres and so much more. But I find it quite liberating to forget about these things as often as possible, because it really limits me and quite often feels as if I'm too prejudiced towards certain kinds of films.

I know what you mean, and to me this is two different things. My subjective opinion of a movie (or tv show) is something different than what category it is in and what quality it has.

For instance, I cry my eyes out over movies like Ghost and Titanic. My father died when I was 17, so I can relate to losing someone close. So these movies hit me in a very strong way. And I find Mamma Mia to be the best feel-good movie I can think of. I laugh and cry over this movie, and it raises my spirit and mood watching it.

But what these movies makes me feel does not say much about the quality of the movie. Mamma Mia can never be said to be a really good movie, no matter how good it makes me feel. It's just that for whatever reason, these movies clicks with some of my emotions in ways others don't. 

That also goes the other way around - I'm not too fond of The Godfather, because I find movies about the mob boring. Same for Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. That movie bored me to tears, I can't remember last time I was so bored watching a movie. But me being bored by it says nothing at all about the quality of the movie. 

So no - neither Star Trek nor Ghost can be said to be really good tv/movie, even though they can mean a lot ot us personally. That is to me two very different things.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

April 2, 2015 12:45 pm  #57

Oops, back again.
That proves what I mentioned before: categories are nearly impossible because it's always a matter of taste.

(Tony Hadley)

April 2, 2015 12:48 pm  #58

I don't think it's only a matter of taste. I think movies can be analyzed beyond just personal taste. As I said - just beause I found TTSS a boring movie, doesn't mean that the movie is bad. And just because I greatly enjoy Mamma Mia, doesn't make it a really good movie. 

Team Hudders!

April 2, 2015 12:52 pm  #59

What can you analyse then? How much money was spend and how it was made? What is the interesting point of it?

Last edited by gently69 (April 2, 2015 12:57 pm)

(Tony Hadley)

April 2, 2015 12:56 pm  #60

You can analyze a lot about a movie and how it was made. What the interesting point about it is, varies. For Mamma Mia, there is little reason to have a deep analysis about why the movie was made. It's quite a straight-forward movie that doesn't have that many layers to it.

Team Hudders!

Board footera