BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 17, 2013 4:07 pm  #41

Re: Wreckers (2011)

Suicide?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 4, 2013 3:14 am  #42

Just finsihed watching.  Intense.  Fascinating.  

BC once again proves that he can say more in the depths of his eyes than someone else with 10 pages of speech.  I keep telling people it doesn't matter if you crush on him or not, the man is an amazing actor.

Thoughts on the fate of Nick.  When Dawn goes back to give him the money she finds the clothes he had been wearing piled up beside the dead fire.  Why would he have left them behind?  I had the picture in my head of him walking naked into the pond and drowning himself.  It was just the feeling I got.

I do think it's also possible that David killed Nick.  But I don't think it would've been cold blooded.  With David's volatile temper he could've easily killed him in a fit of rage.

The film certainly leaves a lot of room for discusion.   

Also, good news for anyone who hasn't seen this yet, it's now available for streaming on Netflix.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 19, 2013 8:20 pm  #43

Yay.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 7, 2013 9:58 pm  #44

Hi guys, I don't know if anyone checks this topic anymore but I've been harboring a question about a particular scene in the Wreckers.... You remember that one time in the middle of the night, where Dawn wakes up, walks into Nick's room and she finds David curled up on the bed (and their eyes meet?) Wtf was that scene about???? 

December 7, 2013 10:04 pm  #45

God this film is so complex...my 2nd viewing was 5 months ago and I still don't get all of it!
Er, wasn't that just to show how damaged both guys are and hint at that difficult childhood?

December 8, 2013 5:13 am  #46

Is that the scene after the doctor's appointment and she's basically kicked him out of the shared bed? I think it was just establishing that he had been kicked out of the bed ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

December 8, 2013 8:14 am  #47

See, I really don't even remember that...I must pay more attention!

December 15, 2013 3:03 pm  #48

OH wow I got answers, thanks guys.
I'm curious because he seemed like he was either sobbing/having a nightmare and the look Dawn&David share is so...charged... Its also paired with the hallucinatory sequences Dawn repeatedly has with the blurred shadow of David&Nick...IDK I keep watching and re-watching the film but it keeps on getting all the more complex :/

December 15, 2013 3:05 pm  #49

Utterly fabulous film with so many layers.

May 3, 2014 8:31 pm  #50

I have just watched this film online. I liked the three main actors, I thought the film was very complex and dark. I'm not sure if I liked the plot.

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

May 3, 2014 8:34 pm  #51

I've seen it twice now and still uncertain I've totally got it!
Love it through, brilliant...

May 28, 2014 9:18 pm  #52

I bought the DVD the other day, and I sat down and watched it tonight. Not quite the upbeat, feel-good movie, eh?

On a more serious note, I'm yet undecided whether I liked it or not, but it's definitely a movie that makes you think and ponder the plot for a while. Quite a lot of underlying themes, and so much to be read between the lines (quite literally). The film keeps you guessing, and I hate it when films overdo it, but I think this one hit just the right mark. I'm sure you can see new nuances on the second, third, fourth... viewing.

Beautiful acting by everyone. Benedict shone once more with a quiet yet tangible intensity.

I have a feeling I'm gonna have to watch it again in the not too distant future.

Last edited by TeeJay (May 28, 2014 9:19 pm)

May 29, 2014 5:32 am  #53

Yep, you certainly need to...
Quite a complex film!

December 26, 2014 4:49 pm  #54

Just watch my Christmas DVD of this film and it definitely deserves a "Wow!"

It is one that I will watch again.  And Dan, who is not prone to re-watching anything twice said he would love to see it again too. 

First both of us found the accents a bit hard to decipher,  but after a while we got used to them and that issue improved. 

Secondly the acting was absolutely stunning all round.  The natural flow of conversation was mastered so easily it sounded very realistic between the characters. 

Ben was remarkable in his portrayal of a very, very complex character.  David transforms from a very lovely person who is closed about his past into a much more darker man who is obsessive about obscuring his demons.  He has such a desire to put it all behind him and try and be happy that I couldn't help but feel sympathy for him after his brother appeared and began tearing away at the fabric of his life.  But there were also some deep shadows on David's soul and that made him have an air of menace about him - I never was quite sure of what he was fully capable of.  He could be kind of creepy in a way, the way he was always lurking about. 

But there was so much more to this story.  The abusive parents, the creepiness of  everything that had gone on in the town before, the sadness of a barren couple who desperately wanted children, the conflict and intensity between the two brothers.  It was a very dense movie but utterly fascinating.

The sound quality of the production was very poor (the background noise was overrwhelming at times) but the photography was excellent.  Sometimes the camera angles were superb and other times they just over did it a tad but it didn't intrude into the feel of the production.  The supporting actors were pretty good too.

The theme music especially in the credits seemed inappropriate to me - too light and springy, but during the production the score was much more tempered to fit the mood of the film itself. 

All in all I think this film was really worthwhile and certainly showcased the talents of BC.   I was glad that his character was something very far removed from anything I have seen in "Sherlock".  It demonstrates the range of BC's skill to play a wider range of character types and the fact that he did it so masterfully really speak to his flexibility as an actor I think.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

December 26, 2014 6:06 pm  #55

It's a while since I've seen it but it's interesting to read your thoughts.   I agree that it was nice to see Benedict playing a different sort of character - he seems to be pigeonholed as playing maverick geniuses now (in interviews, anyway), and yet he has played a variety of characters.   This character (and the film in general) was very much not black or white ... it really got me thinking (and feeling!). 

December 26, 2014 6:33 pm  #56

Yep, it's very deep.

April 1, 2015 9:16 pm  #57

Just seen this movie today. I really liked it, it dealt with a lot of interesting topics in a very good and serious way. I am glad it wasn't just me struggling to understand the dialogue, though, because that was a big issue for me as well. It seemed to be a big issue with whoever did the work on the English subtitles too, because often - even mid-sentence - the subtitles would just go [inaudible dialogue].

Ben was of course amazing. Actually, this - of all the stuff he's done - was the one part that made me really realize what an extraordinary good actor he is. 

Because most of the movies/series I've seen him in, he's played these larger than life, charismatic geniuses that sort of command the attention of the room as soon as they enter it, just by their very essence and nature (Sherlock, Khan, Julian Assange...). I just figured that was what Ben did - just his own persona demanded the attention of the room. Because even in interviews, where he's just being himself, he has that similar quality (although of course not to the same degree as the more exaggerated parts he plays). Of course, me having a celeb crush on him just enhances that.

In this movie, however, he just plays an ordinary bloke. Sure, a guy with some issues and demons, but still just a regular guy. And he was - he blended in so much that I hardly even saw him. I didn't see Sherlock, I didn't even see Ben. I hardly even heard that amazing baritone voice that could make me into a puddle on the floor just by reading the telephone book. All of it was gone. He was so... ordinary. His voice, his body language, his entire persona. Ben isn't ordinary. But Danny is. 

So now I've seen that not can he just play up his natural charm and charisma, he can even downplay it until it's almost non-existent. I've rarely seen an actor do that, and it's an amazing feat in my opinion. 

But, yes, the pic posted earlier reminded me of Sherlock as well. But apart from that, there was no Sherlock, Ben or Khan in anything during that movie. Extraordinarily well done.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 1, 2015 9:32 pm  #58

Vhanja wrote:

Because most of the movies/series I've seen him in, he's played these larger than life, charismatic geniuses that sort of command the attention of the room as soon as they enter it, just by their very essence and nature (Sherlock, Khan, Julian Assange...).

I don't know how much of his work you've seen, but he quite often plays ordinary blokes. Yes, there also are the genuises, but just think about his roles in Third Star, Small Island, Stuart, August Osage County, The Last Enemy...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 1, 2015 9:36 pm  #59

SolarSystem wrote:

I don't know how much of his work you've seen, but he quite often plays ordinary blokes. Yes, there also are the genuises, but just think about his roles in Third Star, Small Island, Stuart, August Osage County, The Last Enemy...

Out of those I've only seen Stuart. And it's a similar thing there. I don't know how he does it, but he sort of.. diminishes in some roles. I know that sounds really bad and negative, but it's actually meant as high praise. How he can mange to be less than the charm and charisma he has in himself in some roles, and not just more.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

Board footera