BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 31, 2015 11:29 pm  #1

Why I love this episode

I couldn't find any other thread in this TEH-forum where this fitted, so I opened a new one.

I know that for a lot of people, this is on the bottom of their list of favorites episodes. For me, it's on my top list, and I will list why:

- The music. This is the one Sherlock episode where I am the most aware of the music. The score playing as John takes the tube to work is stunningly beautiful ("Floating Dust"), so is the tune playing as Sherlock deduces the tube case. Amazing music!
- The reunion. I know a lot of people didn't like it, I loved it. I love John's stumbling but heartfelt proposal (or: starting to propose) to Mary. And, most of all, I think Martin does one of the best pieces of acting in this scene. His expressions, going from disbelief, to hurt, to anger, is just some excellent piece of acting that I never tire of watching. Martin owns this scene, and the rest of the reunion scenes, and he does it magnificently!
- The Holmes Brothers. I love the scene with Sherlock and Mycroft. It tells a lot about them, and it tells a lot about how Sherlock has grown. No other episode has as pure a scene as this between the two brothers, and it's amazing.
- Painful and awesome at the same time: Never has John seemed as happy as when he things the old man in the white beard is Sherlock. This scene tells everything about John.
- The tube scene. Yes, I still believe this is one of the most horrible things Sherlock has ever done to John. But even so, this scene is so strong. Sherlock has tears running down his face when he exlaims: "Your face!"". John is to the point of just accepting - this is what Sherlock is.
- The music. I want to emphasize again: Next time you watch this episode: Really listen to the music all throughout. It's amazing. 

The only thing that keeps me from putting this as my No. 1 episode is the fact that they boys don't live together at 221B. 

Last edited by Vhanja (March 31, 2015 11:30 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 1, 2015 9:29 am  #2

Re: Why I love this episode

ot, but I have to know: where does that shot of Sherlock standing outside of a cafe looking in at John come from? It's not from an episode, is it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 1, 2015 9:51 am  #3

No, it's a promo pic for S3.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

April 1, 2015 11:20 am  #4

Do you want to keep this thread or shall I delete it? Just asking because you corrected your choice of episode over in the other thread. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 1, 2015 11:38 am  #5

I want to keep it. It's not my favorite episode, just explaining the reasons why I really like it.

Team Hudders!

April 9, 2015 9:58 am  #6

Controversial!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 9, 2015 9:59 am  #7

Can we have a "why I hate this episode" thread too?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera