BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 28, 2015 12:53 am  #1

Ben reads William Safire’s Moon landings letter - BBC Newsnight

the letter

and the interview

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

March 28, 2015 2:17 am  #2

Re: Ben reads William Safire’s Moon landings letter - BBC Newsnight

Wonderful reading and equally interesting interview with Ben et al. 

Thanks for posting the two videos Lola Red.

I love writing letters.  And receiving them. 

One of my most favourite memories is of the letters my husband got when he was researching his first book.  Part of the research involved corresponding with a few (a very select few) WWI pilots (this occurred on or about 1984-5) who had known (and flown) with Canadian WWI hero Billy Bishop (who was the subject of Dan's book). 

One, whose name was Roger Neville, was the pilot to Bishop when he was a young observer in a two seater in the Royal Flying Corp.  Roger wrote Dan several times and it was totally exciting getting his letters. 

I was a bit better at reading his handwriting than Dan so I helped "translate" them for him. Roger was an ace pilot himself (and was awarded Military Cross) and a complete gentleman in his letters to Dan - friendly, conversational,  funny and completely open to all questions that Dan had.  We still have those delicate onion-skin pages sent "air-mail" by him, stored lovingly away in Dan's treasures.  Neville passed away in 1986 but was still taking his "holiday on the continent" when he corresponded with Dan - full of life even at his advanced years.   It was a complete pleasure to have been what it seemed like, personally aquainted with him, through his letters to us. 

Like it was discussed in the interview portion of these videos - letters offer us a more intimate glimpse into someone's personality because you can hold in your hands on to the moments that they dedicated solely to you when they sat down to correspond with you.  It is the time consumed and the effort they made to (as Ben said) go from mind to hand to paper.  A very special way of communicating for sure.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

March 28, 2015 11:25 am  #3

Thank you very much for posting, Lola. I think it is a wonderful and fascinating project and I am very glad that he is so strongly committed to this (up to his own production company getting involved). 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 29, 2015 1:31 am  #4

Thanks for the links Lola. I played the first video for my husband with just the sound (didn't let him see the picture) and asked him whose voice he thought it was. He's very good at picking actors by their voice, but I thought this would catch him out. It didn't take him long though, about a minute into it he said "Benedict". The he teased me mercilessly for thinking I could trick him when he knows who I am obsessed with

Last edited by ukaunz (March 29, 2015 1:31 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 29, 2015 10:14 am  #5

That was a very interesting view! Both the letter itself and the discussion after!

I really think Ben is great at reading these letters, he seems to really try to do them justice. 

Handwriting is a dying artform isn't it? I was on the train yesterday and jotted down some poetry by hand and realized I had an audience

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 30, 2015 7:20 pm  #6

Benedict can literally read anything.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera