BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 13, 2014 11:05 am  #161

Re: What makes you unique?

Mmmh...Well, my general tastes seem to be pretty 'unconventional' and 'weird' if I am to believe what people say xD. I like studying obscure ancient languages, am learning to play the harp, take sword-fighting classes and am an INFJ feminist activist (being scoffed at so many times might mean that's a pretty unique trait in my area, which is not good news :/).
Also, mid-thigh length hair might count, given that it's not that common...And an Elvish middle name, too

Last edited by ArwendeLuhtiene (August 13, 2014 11:09 am)

November 7, 2014 12:28 am  #162

Hmm... what makes me unique? I feel so common....
I do scottish country dance, and I love it. I never was a dancer type, but scottish dancing is now my favourite hobby - and I hope I can do it till I'm very very old
also, I do write diary since I'm eleven - every day, except some short periods when I was very ill and couldn't. I am 28 now. I always wanted to stop writing diary at some point, but after so many years, I found I cannot do that. Should I become as old as 80, I'll need quite a lot of shelves for my diaries
I do read favourite books up to 50 times... and more. I love them to pieces, basically. They never bore me.
Hmm... I also sometimes think  I have a unique way of fearing things. Some days I'm totally afraid to leave the house and go to university or work, but I've never had any problems to travel on my own to foreign places where I don't know a soul... people always think that's strange and that the first should be easier than the second - it's not for me. I'm also not afraid to walk on my own in the dark or in lonely places, but sometimes fear to pick up a phone.
I do love heavy metal music and study theology, and many people just cannot get the two things together - for me it's no problem at all.
I'm also a very tidy person... I like cleaning, I like tidying up, and my room always looks messy to me, but perfectly to others. I used to pack the suitcases of my classmates in school, on top of my own, just because it was fun for me.

I love the things you tell. It's really exciting. I find it incredible how complex people are... how very different, how unique, and yet in many things so very similar... it makes me once more think that it's really worth it to get to know each and every person, because everybody is such an exciting individual.

@PrittB: I didn't even know it's possible to change a name that often! It must have been confusing. I like Pritt as a name but I also haven't heard it before!

Last edited by Whisky (November 7, 2014 12:31 am)

"It is what it is."

November 7, 2014 8:58 am  #163

<I do read favourite books up to 50 times... and more. I love them to pieces, basically. They never bore me.>
No, you are not unique in this way, because I do the same.
My star sign is the twin, and that`s what I´m - two different persons come together in me, I´m a cooperation of contrasts and that is what makes me unique.

Bitte nicht so drängeln, wir sind hier bei der Arbeit und nicht auf der Flucht!
Please don´t push, we are at work and not on the run.

November 8, 2014 6:53 pm  #164

My memory makes me unique... (it's a curse in disguise sometimes though)

I have photographic memory meaning I can remember a place I have been once and just run through in detail. I have a sort of Mind Palace where I can zoom in on things, even twist and turn them... I remember every little random detail as long as I have seen it or created an image of it in my head. 

My co-workers use it a lot. I have people barging into my office or calling me starting with the words "I need your memory!"

I tried to explain to my mother what it's like inside my head. She often gawks at me when we watch quiz shows and I seem to know everything... There was a question about whether or not a tennis player had won a cup in the year 1988... 
In my head I saw a picture of her in a gold frame and the number 8 circling it; the number was blue which to me told me there were two. So, yes she won in 1988. 
My mother looked really scared... 

But in my case it also means I can't delete memories... I envy Sherlock for that ability. 
When I have some time and some 'headspace' I want to look into creating a real mind palace because I heard that if you do that you can put stuff in rooms and then delete them. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 8, 2014 6:56 pm  #165

Yes, I would like to do that too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 17, 2014 5:01 am  #166

What makes me unique???

Well, I live with a published author.  That might be considered a bit unusual, I guess. 

My hubby of 40 years has nine books published by a leading Canadian book publisher.  Mainly on Canadian aviation history but there is one that is a biography of a Canadian boxer as well. 

That one has a movie option on it but we haven't heard anything about it's development in a while.    But we still get royalty checks anyway!

We travel quite a bit.  I been to England, France (four times), Greece, Germany, Holland, Belguim, Austria, Czech Republic, Cuba, all across Canada, in many US cities (New York, Boston, Charlotte, New Orleans, Chicago, Washington, LA, San Francisco, Florida) and Japan.  We are planning to go to Australia next year.

We are also planning on going back to England in the future years.

- Val (Ah-chie)

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

March 29, 2015 10:05 am  #167

Ooh, a fellow world traveller

I won't list everywhere I've been, because it would look like I'm trying to compete , but the most interesting places I have been include India and Nepal. Most of my travel was between 1999-2006, but last year my husband, two kids and I went to Sri Lanka for 5 weeks. It was a great family experience.

Something that is unique about me: I went to my year 12 formal (dance, prom) with James Wan, future director of the Saw and Fast and Furious movies. We were just friends, but he is a very nice, humble, down to earth guy. I'm proud to know him (not really in touch any more unfortunately).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 29, 2015 10:23 am  #168

Oh that is awesome! I hope you had a good prom with him!!

Apparently I have a unique way of being able to understand languages. Since I was 12 I have been able to read Dutch without any classes in it; as an example.

I am not perfect at it... I had a major misunderstanding when my guy (who is from Holland, funny how thins work out???) sent me a long email in Dutch... It has now become one of our secret jokes. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 29, 2015 10:53 am  #169

That's so cool . You have some very unique talents Phantom Lady. I read earlier in this thread that you have a photographic memory! I have the worst memory in the world, I'm a goldfish

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 29, 2015 11:03 am  #170

I'd be happy to lend my memory to you! It's not all fun and games being able to remember everything. 

I crave being able to forget things...

My guy has memory issues as one of the symptoms of his brain damage. 

If you want to help your memory I know you can train it, of course some people are more 'lucky' than others... I think I got my memory as a result of my own 'brain damage'. I'm dyscalculic and always had to find ways to cope with it

The human brain has always fascinated me honestly... it always finds ways to cope with your difficulties; much the same as giving a blind man a more acute sense of smell. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 29, 2015 11:11 am  #171

The worst thing about my memory is that I can't remember things I did/said in the past, things that happened to me. Nothing traumatic happened or anything like that. But for example, I travelled a lot when I finished uni, and I can hardly remember any details. My husband says "remember when we..." and I just look at him blankly, or just pretend that I do. Or my dad will talk abut someone I should remember from my childhood and I have no idea who he is talking about. I actually have serious fears that I will go senile early in life

March 29, 2015 11:24 am  #172

You should try to look into training your brain, don't give up on yourself! 
Little things like playing mahjong helps. But really look it up!

I have forgotten most of my childhood... I have a few glimpses coming back now and then... but I have good reason to have blocked it. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 29, 2015 12:44 pm  #173

What an interesting thread!
I am amazed at seeing how you people can share such intimate details. And humbled because there seem to be so many of you with rare talents.
I would try to answer to the question of what makes me unique...but I find myself so ordinary that I can't seem to be able to come up with an answer.
I adore languages and the process of learning them, same with musical instruments, I enjoy writing very much...but I am so not good enough in these activities to be effective.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

Board footera