BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 23, 2014 5:04 pm  #101

Re: The other brother - my head just exploded

He seemed to be directly addressing Mycroft. which would make sense.
But that's a different scene, to this one, where Mycroft mentions the other brother.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 23, 2014 7:26 pm  #102

Moftiss said it was a reference ot one or other sitcom, but they might have been lying.

February 3, 2014 8:41 pm  #103

So.   A lot of you think that CAM  is a  Holmes Brother.   Mumsie and I  were discussing that very thing last night after we'd seen HLV. (Yes I got her hooked on SHERLOCK!!)   that was an OMG   moment.   at first,  I thot that Mycroft was talking abt  Rudy,  the uncle that he mentioned when Sherlock and John arrived in Baker street after John rescued Issac  Whitney frm the drugs den.   Ok.   No.   Yes,  how DID  Sherlock know about Mind Palaces?   That  is the main connection between him and CAM.   So  it's logical to assume that CAM  is the other Holmes brother.   But Sherlock doesn't know.   I  don't think Lady Smallwood knows either.   Only Mycroft  (and possibly  his mum OR dad) knows.   I  cannot wait to see if we are correct in this theory.   And we bloody well better not wait too long.   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

February 3, 2014 11:58 pm  #104

silverblaze wrote:

Moftiss said it was a reference ot one or other sitcom, but they might have been lying.

Moftiss lie? Never! I won't believe it...

================================================================

February 4, 2014 12:53 pm  #105

I don't think he talked about a brother at all, he was probably talking about his predecessor or another agent, who couldn't get this job right because of personal feelings. Maybe the agent Anthea (Andrea) mentioned in Empty Hearse, the one who lost his life.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

February 4, 2014 5:11 pm  #106

No I definitely think it refers to a blood relative,

Last edited by besleybean (February 4, 2014 5:12 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 4, 2014 7:43 pm  #107

I've been thinking that Mycroft's remark may NOT  have referred to another Holmes brother too.   There's so many possibilities  for mikey's remark.   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

February 4, 2014 7:46 pm  #108

No it has to be a member of the family, or the word 'familial' doesn't make sense.

April 24, 2014 4:20 pm  #109

I was thinking about this the other day. I don't think Moriarty or Magnussen is the other one. At least, I hope not! XD

If there is another brother, is he dead, which seems likely based on the way Mycroft seems to state it, or maybe the brother was disowned by Mycroft and Sherlock? That seems harsh, but makes sense if the brother wasn't as smart of these two were. And by what Series 3 implied by Mycroft and Sherlock's relaionship, it may seem maybe Mycroft tried to teach this brother, but deemed him too ordinary and stupid? Since Sherlock views Mycroft in some ways as a mentor, followed his example of looking at such ordinary people with contempt. Maybe this other brother, who couldn't get the help of his parents, decided to leave and the brothers just ignore him or don't view him as a brother. 

That is heartbreaking now that I write it out. =(

April 24, 2014 4:41 pm  #110

btw, this sentence about the other one, was the one that didn't appear in the script... I always thought it would have been the "oh sherlock what have you done?"

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

April 30, 2014 2:59 pm  #111

I thought the same thing, also because they said that it was quite an important line. I'm unconvinced that it was Magnussen; they seem to be implying that something happened to the brother because of Mycroft's doing, not because of Sherlock's doing. 

It's interesting, for the Moriarty thing I came up with a handful of theories, some more plausible than others but for this I really have no clue. I didn't understand the original invention of the third brother either, I always assumed that Mycroft inherited the estate. Who knows, maybe at time of writing, Moftiss didn't have a clue either as to where it would lead and they are just making it up as they go along. 

July 5, 2014 11:34 pm  #112

As has been said elsewhere, the third sibling could be a sister. Nothing in Conan-Doyles work excludes it. Listen carefully to Mrs. Holmes speaking to Mary about Mr. Holmes. Very carefully.

July 6, 2014 8:03 am  #113

Thinbeard wrote:

As has been said elsewhere, the third sibling could be a sister. Nothing in Conan-Doyles work excludes it. Listen carefully to Mrs. Holmes speaking to Mary about Mr. Holmes. Very carefully.

Do you mean the scene where Mr. Holmes says to Mary that Mrs. Holmes "gave it all up for children"?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 28, 2015 4:48 pm  #114

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 28, 2015 5:08 pm  #115

I think discovering a Holmes sister would be fantastic.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 28, 2015 7:47 pm  #116

oh, this is getting rather fun, isn't it?

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

March 28, 2015 8:10 pm  #117

Oh, yes. And IMO it would be a typical Moftisson stunt. Taking a character from Canon and turning it into something much bigger. Like they did with Moriarty and Mary on a larger scale. Very exciting!

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 28, 2015 10:53 pm  #118

Hell. Mary is Sherlock's and Mycroft's sister.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 6, 2015 9:23 am  #119

Maybe this was obvious to everyone, but I didn't really notice it until I saw this gif.

Mycroft's reference to the "other one" is visually reinforced by his reflection appearing in the window. Clever camera work as usual

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 6, 2015 10:03 am  #120

Yeah, I realized it recently while watching this gif. It gets lost in the whole scene, but here it's stiking. Not 100% sure if it's deliberate though. I know, it's hard to believe, but there are things in this show that are actually random

Board footera