BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 22, 2015 10:30 pm  #1

Reburial of Richard III

Has anyone in the UK been following the proceedings on Channel 4? Mark Gatiss has been live tweeting about it for most of the day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 24, 2015 11:02 am  #2

Re: Reburial of Richard III

I wanted to see it on the evening news but my husband was chasing the kids around the house and they were laughing and yelling so much I couldn't hear a thing. I will check it out online when I get a chance.

As I was watching the footage on my tv (without the benefit of sound) I was thinking Benedict might have wanted to attend the funeral since he is playing Richard III in the Hollow Crown series, and wouldn't it be cool to spot him in the crowd. But then following that train of thought... I guess if he had attended and the media had spotted him they would have made a big deal out of it, and fans would have flocked around him etc. Benedict is the sort of person who wouldn't  want to draw any attention to himself at an important and sombre occassion like this funeral, taking the focus away from the re-burial of Richard III. Then again even if he had wanted to attend, he's probably really busy at the moment... this was just my brain having a little hypothetical with itself

Last edited by ukaunz (March 24, 2015 11:03 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 24, 2015 4:17 pm  #3

Looks like BC will be reading a poem by Poem Laureate Carol Ann Duffy at Thursday's ceremony at Leicester Cathedral.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leicestershire-32040692

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

March 24, 2015 4:25 pm  #4

Thanks for posting, will get it from onlinetvrecorder. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 24, 2015 10:20 pm  #5

Ah-chie wrote:

Looks like BC will be reading a poem by Poem Laureate Carol Ann Duffy at Thursday's ceremony at Leicester Cathedral.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leicestershire-32040692

-Val

Oh, well there you go If my kids hadn't been making such a racket when he news was on, I would have perhaps heard that the funeral hasn't happened yet. I didn't realise the coffin was lying in state for a few days. It's great that BC gets to be involved in a respectful and dignified way. I'll have to make sure I can watch it on Thursday night (or whatever time it will be here... I had better go and look it up).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 25, 2015 5:17 pm  #6

I'm going to try  and watch although I still have very mixed feelings about him being buried in Leicester rather than in York! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 25, 2015 5:18 pm  #7

Yes, I really do not understand the decision. Was it because his remaind were found there? He did not have a  special connection to Leicester, did he? 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 25, 2015 5:22 pm  #8

Yes, because they were found under a car park. His natural connection (as a Plantagenet King and a Yorkist) would have been to York. At least they didn't bury him in Lancashire! 

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 25, 2015 6:17 pm  #9

That would have been the ultimate insult! 

March 26, 2015 9:42 am  #10

When would this event be broadcasted?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 26, 2015 11:51 am  #11

Live updates here, http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2015/mar/26/richard-iii-funeral-live-updates but my internet connection is rubbish at the moment. I'm going to hope there is some footage to watch on YouTube or somewhere tomorrow, I'll go to the library and use their computers to find out.

March 26, 2015 11:55 am  #12

A couple of photos I found on The Guardian update

From this tweet: https://mobile.twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/581046730747191296/photo/1

From this tweet: http://twitter.com/Leicester_News/status/581047882104598528/photo/1

Last edited by ukaunz (March 26, 2015 12:05 pm)

March 26, 2015 12:39 pm  #13

BC has read the poem by Carol Ann Duffy. If anyone finds a video on YouTube or wherever, please post the link

March 26, 2015 1:05 pm  #14

-Benedict Cumberbatch

March 26, 2015 1:15 pm  #15

Thank you Val.

That last part:

I once dreamed of this, your future breath
in prayer for me, lost long, forever found;
or sensed you from the backstage of my death,
as kings glimpse shadows on a battleground.

gives me goosebumps.

March 26, 2015 2:02 pm  #16

That was a beautiful poem, and Ben performed it perfectly. He's got a magnificent voice 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 26, 2015 2:20 pm  #17

Here's the clickable version -

Yes, I found his reading moving and done with the perfect tone of solemnity for the occasion (amazing since he didn't have time to rehearse it apparently). 

And the final quatrain of lines is most "goosebumpy" to me too, if I may say!

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

March 26, 2015 3:10 pm  #18

I would listen to him read the phone book.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 26, 2015 4:26 pm  #19

Wonderfully dignified reading. 

March 26, 2015 7:27 pm  #20

Here is a link to an interview with Benedict after the service:

http://bloggingthebatch.tumblr.com/post/114687937334/londonphile-c4-interview

Board footera