BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 4, 2015 9:55 pm  #21

Re: Lars Mikkelsen Appreciation Thread

Well, maybe just Cockneyish - I'm not terribly good at accents!

February 6, 2015 8:00 pm  #22

February 9, 2015 9:51 am  #23

My analysis of his accent, for what it's worth...definitely a lot of London accent sounds in what he says but with the occasional flat vowel sounds, which, to the English ear sounds Northern. I think he's lovely. You could cut yourself on those cheekbones! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 24, 2015 10:21 am  #24

At the moment they show "The Team" on German television, a crime mini-series in which Lars definitely is the highlight.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 24, 2015 6:16 pm  #25

SolarSystem wrote:

At the moment they show "The Team" on German television, a crime mini-series in which Lars definitely is the highlight.

I saw that on Sunday night, couldn't watch it, because my bed was calling  He plays a detective and looks much nicer as he did as Magnussen.
It's a production of several Euopean countries, I like that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Team_(2015_TV_series)

I prefer Mads, though. 

SolarSystem wrote:

He is really cool. A while ago I watched a documentary about his brother Mads, but there was a sequence in it where the two of them walk through... was it Kopenhagen?... together. They visited the part of town where they grew up, and both of them were just absolutely cool cats. 

Saw that recently, it's on yt, if someone is interested.

It was made for German television, so the dubbing is in German. But very interesting, they stroll through the part of Copenhagen where they grew up.  Like Solar said cool guys these two.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

March 24, 2015 7:06 pm  #26

Ivy wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

I saw that on Sunday night, couldn't watch it, because my bed was calling  He plays a detective and looks much nicer as he did as Magnussen.

Yes, definitely. The Lars we see in HLV is completely different to the Lars in "The Team".
And yes, the concept of "The Team" is very interesting and promising, but in my opinion the finished product doesn't deliver.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

March 24, 2015 11:08 pm  #27

Cool.  And yes, Lars and Mads both seem so cool.  With you speaking of enjoying that other show reminds me of my sheer delight hearing he was going to be on the new season of Netflix's House of Cards.  (deja vu… hope I haven't mentioned this already?)  I don't suppose any of you watch/watched it?  He's absolutely delicious (lol… no other word) as the Russian president.  Seriously, just picture Magnussen in your head, make him Russian and aggressively political, and keep the high level of charmingly creepy arrogance.  He's so great to watch… 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

March 25, 2015 6:38 am  #28

Russell, really...? He's in "House of Cards"? You're talking about the third season, right? I haven't seen it yet, but I watched the first two seasons and will definitely watch season 3, as well. Wow, that's really something to look forward to, can't wait...!

March 25, 2015 7:40 am  #29

He was superb in His Last Vow. Really enjoyed his performance. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series arc of Sherlock | Clues to #johnlock being endgame | My fav Sherlock blog

March 25, 2015 4:41 pm  #30

SolarSystem wrote:

Russell, really...? He's in "House of Cards"? You're talking about the third season, right? I haven't seen it yet, but I watched the first two seasons and will definitely watch season 3, as well. Wow, that's really something to look forward to, can't wait...!

Yes!  Man, I love that show… it's like a sharp-edged, entertaining train-wreck that keeps pulling you around despite not wanting to root for 'bad guys' (…hm, I must have a thing for dramatic characters and writing…  ;D).  Love the cast.
But Lars, as Russian president Petrov, is wonderful.  Only seen him in two eps so far, slowly working through the new ones, but he's just as intriguingly cold and arrogant as seen him before, with the same level of creepy charm lathered on.  You'll love it.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

March 25, 2015 5:47 pm  #31

Oh boy, that sounds fantastic, Russell. What a wonderful surprise, I had no idea he'd be part of the show. Should be even more difficult now to concentrate on the story, with Kevin AND Lars as bad guys now. This is getting better and better.
In that crime series I was talking about he's one of the good guys by the way. And a pretty convincing one.

March 26, 2015 4:58 am  #32

SolarSystem wrote:

Oh boy, that sounds fantastic, Russell. What a wonderful surprise, I had no idea he'd be part of the show. Should be even more difficult now to concentrate on the story, with Kevin AND Lars as bad guys now. This is getting better and better.
In that crime series I was talking about he's one of the good guys by the way. And a pretty convincing one.

Cool… it sounds kinda neat!  Not sure when/how will watch, though.  One show atta time.

Boy, I just love the whole cast and sharp, twisted Shakespearean political drama… Kevin and Robin continue to impress.  Add in Lars the first time they meet each other, and I was gaping a couple times at the screen!    You know how the seasons kinda focused on different country stuff, in between everything else they were doing… well, this time of course is Russia, with Lars and the current issues so far being very like Putin and what's going over there now.  Lars is so good at giving off that kind of vibe… get the same feeling watching him as I did with Magnussen, and you'll love some of his tete a tete with Kevin.  It must be neat to see him warmer/nicer in The Team, especially hearing the amusing contrast with what a nice guy he is!

March 26, 2015 9:37 am  #33

Russell, "The Team" is a European production, so I'm not sure if and when you'll be able to watch it. Denmark, Belgium and Germany are involved in it, the actors come from all these countries. It would be great if you'd get the chance to see it though, because although the series itself doesn't completely convince me, it's so nice to see Lars play a nice guy - and at times he's a pretty hot nice guy, too. 

And I totally agree with you on HoC, it's so fantastically written and played... and I'm sure Lars will fit in perfectly. Political drama at its best. I wasn't sure if they'd be able to keep up the high standard for yet another season, but I'm glad to hear that it seems to be the case. 

March 26, 2015 11:30 pm  #34

SolarSystem wrote:

Russell, "The Team" is a European production, so I'm not sure if and when you'll be able to watch it.

I wasn't sure if they'd be able to keep up the high standard for yet another season, but I'm glad to hear that it seems to be the case. 

Yep… what I meant by when/how being able to see.  Not to mention all the other stuff still wanting to read/watch first.  ;P  But that's neat it's an inter-country production/character team.

And yep, again!  Granted, I've only watched four so far, and I know Lars is only in a few other eps after these, but it's still great.  I was crossing my fingers, too… second season still bowled you over with it's intensity, but as a whole felt like it was almost too over the top.  Keeping away from spoilers/interviews, so not sure if they're planning on continuing it, but I wonder if the plan is to keep it to a trilogy like the British version was and that this will be the end.  Not that I wouldn't want more, but think the three-part beginning-rising-inevitable fall would work stronger that way.  But sorry… getting off topic. 

I see from IMDB he's also in another Danish series called "1864"?  Unfortunately only in two eps, but another interesting historical war drama:  (looks so different!)

March 27, 2015 10:00 am  #35

Oh wow, he certainly looks different and older in that pic. But wonderful, he's got such an interesting face, full of character and charisma.

When I told my boyfriend that Lars will be in HoC, he was really excited. He loved him just as much in HLV as I did, and now we both can't wait to see him as Russian president.
As for HoC itself, I agree with you on the story arc... it might be more convincing to show the beginning, rise and fall in three seasons and end the show at its height. I've seen too many shows which overstayed their welcome in the past, so it would be nice to let this one end while people still love it unconditionally.  

March 27, 2015 7:01 pm  #36

Yeah, I know!!    To, well, everything you said.  Ha… yeah, compared to his slicker president:

Quite different.  Of course, that '1864' thing is a more historical, rougher drama.  But he and Mads do have the strangest, interesting sharp features…  Aww, look at them…   

And both so good at playing dramatically creepy people! 

March 27, 2015 7:58 pm  #37

Great performers (and great photos)!!! 
Still, I don´t consider their features strange. They are both obvious Nordic/Scandinavian ethnic types. Similar to Benedict, if you think about it.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 2, 2015 3:06 am  #38

A nice b&w of those features we were just talking about.   (cheekbones!) 

April 2, 2015 7:02 am  #39

Well, usually he isn't the kind of man I like but ... he definitely has something. Can't tell what exactly it is ...
But for me he's doing it only with a beard.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

April 2, 2015 7:25 am  #40

That's a great pic, Russell... 
And yes, gently, the beard is paramount. 
(And let's not talk about men that usually aren't our types...) 

Last edited by SolarSystem (April 2, 2015 7:26 am)

Board footera