BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 21, 2015 9:04 am  #481

Re: Benedict to play Hamlet on stage

gently69 wrote:

Isn't that to be worried about as we say in German "ungelegte Eier"? Don't know if there is an Englisch expression for that phrase.

Miriel, let it just happen. Don't worry months before about how the criticsim will be. Tasts are different, productions are variable, there will be hundreds of good and hundreds of bad reports. People will love Benedict, others will hate him, but I am sure a hundred percent the play is going to be successful.

Gently, don't "worry" ! I don't "worry", and I do know that "tastes are different". However, there are no interesting news about B. just now I find it quite natural to discuss the only project of his we are looking forward this year. (Unless somoeone is excited about "Black Mass" - I am not, TBH).

March 22, 2015 7:57 pm  #482

I am going to see Hamlet on 22nd August (evening performance) and happen to have an extra ticket (one of my mates couldn't come with). Anyone interested?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

March 23, 2015 7:37 pm  #483

There is a list of German cinemas, where you can watch Hamlet:
http://benedict-cumberbatch.de/2015/03/nt-live-hamlet-deutsche-kinos-im-ueberblick/

Bitte nicht so drängeln, wir sind hier bei der Arbeit und nicht auf der Flucht!
Please don´t push, we are at work and not on the run.

March 24, 2015 12:04 am  #484

I'm hoping to see it in Hamm. Just sent mails to some of my friends if they want to come with me so I can order tickets tomorrow or the day after. Only thing that's worrying me is, that it's on a thursday and the screening will take 4 hours. Will be a hard friday, then... But I have to see this. I'm sure, he will be brillant.

"It's this - or Cluedo."
"No! We are never playing that again!"
"Why not?"
"Because it is not actually possible for the victim to have done it, Sherlock! That's why."
"It was the only possible solution!"
"It's not in the rules."
"Then the rules are wrong!"

March 24, 2015 10:31 pm  #485

Good news for our members in the US

@ntlive: In the US and excited for #HamletBarbican? 100s of @FathomEvents venues go on sale Fri March 27. Mark your diary!

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

March 25, 2015 5:08 pm  #486

Please bear in mind that critics for theatre are not the same as critics for film or TV. They are literally different people. There have been numerous others who have acted on stage, been on TV and or film screens and returned to the stage here. It is very much a part of a thespian's life here in the UK to mix them up. I do not think that serious theatre critics will be going to Benedict's Hamlet with a predetermination to find fault. His credentials on stage are very sound e.g. Frankenstein for which he won a joint Olivier Award. It is however an iconic role so it will be interesting to see what sort of take he and the director make.

Personally, I find real, live stage performances, at their best, utterly astounding. Certainly the best have a deep and lasting effect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 2, 2015 11:18 pm  #487

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 3, 2015 12:23 am  #488

Ciaran Hinds!  He will own Claudius.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 3, 2015 7:07 am  #489

I am an absolute theatre moron. Is the cast good?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

April 3, 2015 10:39 am  #490

I have only seen Ciaran Hinds and Kobna Holdbrook-Smith so far. He was with Benedict in the "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead" scene at the NT gala. I am sure they went for very talented actors and actresses who will make a great ensemble cast. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 3, 2015 10:52 am  #491

Those two are both very promising 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 3, 2015 11:23 am  #492

I only know Ciaran Hinds from film and television but he is excellent.  I can see Claudius as a perfect fit for him.

If you need a quick pop culture reference, Ciaran played Dumbldore's brother in the final Harry Potter film. 

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001354/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 3, 2015 11:43 am  #493

... and he played Lord Tarleton in Amazing Grace 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 3, 2015 12:44 pm  #494

I still need to watch Amazing Grace.  Now I have one more reason. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 3, 2015 12:55 pm  #495

The information about the creative team has been updated as well:

http://hamlet.barbican.org.uk/v16_hamlet_01_04_15CREATIVE.html

April 6, 2015 8:41 pm  #496

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 6, 2015 9:20 pm  #497

Love this poster.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 7, 2015 7:39 am  #498

Thank you for posting this link.

And yes, the poster is a brilliant one, tonnaree.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

April 7, 2015 7:46 am  #499

I hope I still get to go! 

The cast looks really interesting, and that new poster is really cool. I like the mood of it

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 7, 2015 7:54 am  #500

The little boy dressed as Hamlet in the poster has auburn hair... Does this mean Ben will have his natural hair colour for Hamlet?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera