BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 23, 2013 4:10 pm  #21

Re: War Horse

kittykat wrote:

Bought this on DVD yesterday, but his name doesn't appear in the cast list on the back of the case. Is it only a small role?

Smaller than small, I would say. You see him on screen for maybe six minutes?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 24, 2013 6:57 am  #22

But it is worth it just to hear the cut-glass accent! (And Tom Hiddlestone! Mwahahah!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 24, 2013 9:51 am  #23

Davina wrote:

But it is worth it just to hear the cut-glass accent! (And Tom Hiddlestone! Mwahahah!)

That's true, and Mister Hiddlestone even has a bit more screen time than Ben.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

August 24, 2013 9:43 pm  #24

I really hope this movie is on german TV soon. Don't want to spend money on this since Benedict hasn't that much screen time. Apart from this, I'm starting to like Tom Hiddleston and I would love to see these two in the same movie.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

August 25, 2013 9:01 pm  #25

You, my dear, have excellent taste! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 18, 2013 12:16 pm  #26

Well...I have just watched it again! Why? Why do I watch it when it makes me cry so much? It is so desperately sad.

March 20, 2015 1:47 am  #27

I watched War Horse again yesterday, just for the Batch. I saw it ages ago when it first came out on DVD but it was pretty forgettable (and I was oblivious to Benedict's existence back then unfortunately - I wouldn't have looked past his role, which was very small, and not particularly attractive). However now that I'm enlightened, I definitely gave him another look in this. I guess I'll have to admit that he's the only man in a moustache that I find attractive, and probably ever will. He always looks good in uniform too 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 20, 2015 10:12 am  #28

I saw War Horse couple a months ago. Batch & Hiddles was nice to see, but I was surprised at how small their roles were compared to how they were PRing for the movie. (Not their fault, of course, I just had different expectations seeing how the movie was presented).

The rest of the movie was forgettable to me (tbh, me and my friend turned it off about 15 minutes after their roles were over). And all the horse training sequences was just too Disneyfied (and too Spielberg). I'm a dog trainer myself and know a bit about how training an animal works - pleading to the horse with soppy music in the bakground won't do the trick. I strongly dislike the way Disney and Spielberg (probably Hollywood in general) portrays animals in movies. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 20, 2015 10:21 am  #29

Yes, it really is a forgettable movie. To me it's what I would call pure unadulterated kitsch.

March 20, 2015 10:44 am  #30

I love films about WWI but this was unbearable to watch. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 21, 2015 7:52 am  #31

I never watched it completely, I must admit. I always expected the animals to start talking, like in "Babe".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

March 21, 2015 9:09 am  #32

The film is forgetabble and, alas, B. role is forgettable as well. IMO it is one of few cases in his filmography (I can think of two more) which I would call a total waste of his talent. Nevertheless, ironically, it was a great opportunity PR and publicity wise. It makes me roll my eyes that even now in his newspapers resumé Spielberg is always mentioned, while far more interesting and valid projects are omitted.

March 21, 2015 11:07 am  #33

Sadly I have to agree with you about this being forgettable... the second time I watched it I have to admit I was just skipping to the scenes with Benedict. 

But he does look amazing in uniform (if we can just forget about the 'stache).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera