BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 7, 2012 1:05 pm  #1

My big problem with TRF...

I just wanted to ask you if it's only me or if you have this "problem" too:

I can't watch Reichenbach anymore and really enjoy it because all I do is looking for hints or hidden details I could miss. I rewind the DVD a hundred times because I think I saw something everybody else missed or over-interpret every single word they say, because I suppose THIS is the essential clue...

It's such a pity, because I love this episode and it's so nice watching it !!

July 7, 2012 1:12 pm  #2

Re: My big problem with TRF...

You have to make a decision before you start to watch; is this a pleasure or business viewing?
If it's 'business' then rewind away; if it's 'pleasure' remove the batteries from the remote, draw the blinds and settle in to watch for sheer enjoyment.
That's the only way to do it. If the temptation is great, have a pen and paper handy, but not in arm's reach. That way it's a concerted effort to get up just to write down a hint/clue. But really, you MUST draw a line somewhere & do one or the other or you will go crazy...... look around you, it's not too late ; for many of us we have gone too far already.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 7, 2012 1:53 pm  #3

I agree with Kazza. I think first and foremost you should go with the pleasure and excitement of the entertainment.  That's what Moftiss would want and why they put this series together .  But trying to figure out how it was done is also part of the pleasure - so make sure it does remain pleasure and not an obsessive ordeal.

I do know what you mean though about searching out those clues. I re-watched the breakfast scene in aSiB the other day and could not take my eyes off that headline in the paper Sherlock was holding up. "Refit for Historical Hospital". It was constantly on camera and so "in your face".  I kept pausing and trying to read it and look more closely at the picture.  Was it a clue to TRF?  Probably not.  But I couldn't stop looking at it......

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 7, 2012 2:08 pm  #4

Ahh, you need to listen to the commentray to Scandal then.
Or read the transcript; it has been posted in the Scandal threads, a very early thread ibelieve.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 27, 2012 2:33 pm  #5

carrot wrote:

I just wanted to ask you if it's only me or if you have this "problem" too:

I can't watch Reichenbach anymore and really enjoy it because all I do is looking for hints or hidden details I could miss. I rewind the DVD a hundred times because I think I saw something everybody else missed or over-interpret every single word they say, because I suppose THIS is the essential clue...

It's such a pity, because I love this episode and it's so nice watching it !!

When you get to the point where you have every word of dialogue memorized, yeah, it's probably time to back off. I'm only now coming back to it again, a couple of months after I first saw it about 5 times in a row. Now that I have the DVDs, can put the subtitles on, etc, I can visit it like an old friend. It can get tedious if we over-indulge past a certain point, I guess. As for the clues, I've given up on that. The writers and show-runners are playing with us. We'll all know what we're supposed to know, as soon as they figure out what that's going to be. I think sometimes even *they* don't know.

July 27, 2012 5:30 pm  #6

I've done the same thing. I have done a deliberate cold turkey with both series for the past three months and I know when I do go back and watch them again I will gain more pleasure and probably notice things I missed before.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 27, 2012 8:14 pm  #7

Davina wrote:

I've done the same thing. I have done a deliberate cold turkey with both series for the past three months and I know when I do go back and watch them again I will gain more pleasure and probably notice things I missed before.
Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

OMG, bless your pea-pickin' heart. You had to go into Sherlock rehab and find sobriety? *smile*
I think if Ben and Martin knew that, they'd be grinning ear to ear. I imagine they need a break when they get done filming each season as well, glad to go off and do/think about something else. Sherlock is *intense*.

Board footera