BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 9, 2015 11:39 pm  #1

The Milli Vanilli scandal - and the aftermath

I'm guessing some of you guys are too young to remember the Milli Vanilli scandal, and some of you are old enough (like me) to remember it in full.

So this young and charismatic duo raise to stardom and fame in 1990, forming a pop duo called Milli Vanilli. Everybody love them, they make hit after hit, even to the point of winning a Grammy.

And shortly after that, the secret is out. The two good-looking boys fronting the band are not the ones singing. The songs were sung by studio muscicans, and these where chosen to front the band because of their good looks and their ability to charm a camera. It was called the biggest scandal in music history.

The two boys, both in their 20s, had been short-sighted. Not being able foresee the success the band would have, and the severe consequence of their choice, they landed in utter public disgrace and humiliation. Buyers of the album wanted refunds and sued. Media were all over the story like bloodhounds. They went from being everybody's darling to not being able to leave their apartment in 24 hours.

This lead to one of them starting drugs, and some years later he was found dead from an overdose. 

Which leads me to think... yes, of course what they did wasn't right. But what was the worst sin? Being young, eager and short-sighted? Or the witch hunt of the media who wouldn't stop until they drew blood?

Last edited by Vhanja (March 9, 2015 11:50 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 12, 2015 9:02 pm  #2

Re: The Milli Vanilli scandal - and the aftermath

Wow, it makes me feel old when I realise that all happened 25 years ago (the later suicide was 15 years ago). It is quite a tragedy isn't it, considering that these days a lot of artists use post-production effects on their voices, and hardly anyone writes their own songs, or performs live without lip-syncing and auto tuning. The media and the public can be quite scary and powerful when they are stirred up into a witch hunt. I wouldn't want to be famous for anything!

Last edited by ukaunz (March 12, 2015 9:11 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 13, 2015 8:37 am  #3

I think the biggest problem here was they didn't sing at all on the albums, but it was pretended that they did. 

And, I agree - media and the public can be very cruel. I don't know, I just think we could all learn to be a bit more forgiving. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 13, 2015 9:08 am  #4

ukaunz wrote:

....., and hardly anyone writes their own songs, or performs live without lip-syncing and auto tuning. .....

Huh? "Hardly anyone"?? Depends which music and artists you're talking about. Maybe you're listening to the "wrong" ones. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

March 13, 2015 10:24 am  #5

Mattlocked wrote:

ukaunz wrote:

....., and hardly anyone writes their own songs, or performs live without lip-syncing and auto tuning. .....

Huh? "Hardly anyone"?? Depends which music and artists you're talking about. Maybe you're listening to the "wrong" ones. 

You're probably right. I'm talking about the stuff that plays on the radio as I drive the kids to and from school or to the shops. I don't get much of a chance to listen to quality music unfortunately 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera