BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 18, 2013 8:53 pm  #1

Four Lions

For all the German fans: Four Lions is on right now on Arte, even OmU. Benedict has a tiny role in it, he appears almost at the very end.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 12, 2015 1:21 am  #2

Re: Four Lions

If suicide bombers can possibly be the subject of a comedy, then I guess Four Lions is a good one. I did have a lot of trouble understanding the heavy Yorkshire accents at times. There were some funny moments, but I'm not sure I would have watched it all the way to the end if Benedict hadn't been in it. It was interesting to see him with a different look - actually he kind of looks like Ethan Hawke in this. It's unfortunate his was such a small role, it really didn't give Benedict a chance to work his magic. He was totally believable as a terrorist negotiator though 

I guess this is one for the diehard fans 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 12, 2015 9:19 am  #3

Re: Four Lions

ukaunz wrote:

If suicide bombers can possibly be the subject of a comedy, then I guess Four Lions is a good one. I did have a lot of trouble understanding the heavy Yorkshire accents at times. There were some funny moments, but I'm not sure I would have watched it all the way to the end if Benedict hadn't been in it. It was interesting to see him with a different look - actually he kind of looks like Ethan Hawke in this.

He does indeed.
I watched this with my boyfriend and he absolutely loves this film. I'm not quite as enthusiastic about it, but I agree that the movie walks a very fine line between being a black comedy and being tasteless quite successfully. Before I saw the film it was difficult to imagine how a comedy about suicide bombers can work (or that it could work at all, for that matter). But it does, in my opinion.
And yes, I would have loved more Benedict in the film - but that's not the first film where I'm thinking that. 
At least he once again had the chance to show his talent for comedy.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera