BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 5, 2015 4:24 pm  #341

Re: Parade's End

Oh, I forgot this or did not notice it in the first place. The books are quite a complex read to put it mildly. But I Iove them. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 5, 2015 5:45 pm  #342

I have read the first volume at least three times, it is one of the masterpieces of English literature, IMO. Next volumes are not quite as good, because FMF didn't write them but dicate them and he lost a bit a grip and discipline of the narrative. Still a good read, though.

March 5, 2015 8:26 pm  #343

I would love to read the book, but it's a biggun', and I have a lot of others on my to-be-read pile before I get to it (and I'm stuck about half way through Les Mis so will have to finish that too). But when I do read Parade's End I will definitely visit that thread you mentioned 

I've been reading a lot of the reviews that were posted earlier in this thread. It's a shame that some of them have since disappeared off the internet (the first two Den of Geek reviews for instance). It's such a shame the Parade's End miniseries didn't get a better timeslot when it was originally aired. I don't know when or if it was aired here in Australia (surely they would have) as I don't watch a lot of broadcast tv (I catch up on the good stuff via DVD or download, so as to get it without the ads and the waiting). The show really is a missed gem as far as the general public goes. So much more interesting than Downton Abbey...

Last edited by ukaunz (March 5, 2015 8:29 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera