BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 24, 2012 12:04 pm  #61

Re: Tell us what part of the world you come from

Davina wrote:

Our population in the UK is 60 million.

US is currently pushing 315 million.

July 25, 2012 8:13 am  #62

I am from India.. I am surprised to see that the maximum number of members here are from US and not UK but yeah, i understand US is a very large country in comparison to UK

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at those cheekbones, I could cut myself slapping that face… would you like me to try?

July 26, 2012 4:12 pm  #63

I am from Germany... And I hate it. I would so love to live in the UK :/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Tumblr (:
Own Sherlock Fan Forum

-

July 26, 2012 7:35 pm  #64

Plueschkissen wrote:

Why do you hate your country? Interesting. Come visit us here in the US, land of the free and home of the brave, and, I would say, we have the best crops of fruits and nuts. *g*

July 26, 2012 7:38 pm  #65

Plueschkissen wrote:

This is off-topic, but I like that you have John as your avatar.

July 26, 2012 7:49 pm  #66

ancientsgate wrote:

Plueschkissen wrote:

Why do you hate your country? Interesting. Come visit us here in the US, land of the free and home of the brave, and, I would say, we have the best crops of fruits and nuts. *g*

Ah, I don't know. I don't quite like the language and especially when I'm watching Sherlock or other English shows I desperately want to live in England because the language is so beautiful and hkjflsjxkem.

veecee wrote:

Plueschkissen wrote:

This is off-topic, but I like that you have John as your avatar.

Hehe, thank you :'D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Tumblr (:
Own Sherlock Fan Forum

-

July 26, 2012 8:32 pm  #67

Plueschkissen wrote:

Ah, I don't know. I don't quite like the language and especially when I'm watching Sherlock or other English shows I desperately want to live in England because the language is so beautiful and hkjflsjxkem.

Interesting that your love of English leads you to think of wanting to live in the UK. We speak English over here on this side of the pond, too, you know. *smile* In fact, I imagine a lot of what you see on TV and the movies, the English you hear, is actually American English, no? Not Sherlock, though-- that's Brit through and through. Sometimes I have to go my dictionary to figure out what they're on about (as they'd say)--  what fun!

July 26, 2012 8:34 pm  #68

ancientsgate wrote:

Plueschkissen wrote:

Interesting that your love of English leads you to think of wanting to live in the UK. We speak English over here on this side of the pond, too, you know. *smile* In fact, I imagine a lot of what you see on TV and the movies, the English you hear, is actually American English, no? Not Sherlock, though-- that's Brit through and through. Sometimes I have to go my dictionary to figure out what they're on about (as they'd say)--  what fun!

Oh, no no, my love really belongs to England, not America :D I am kind of obsessed with British accent and everything and if I could chose, I'd always, always prefer the UK.

My Tumblr (:
Own Sherlock Fan Forum

-

July 26, 2012 8:37 pm  #69

Yay! Or should I say... Hoorah!

I am very honoured that you like our country. I love Germany and have always loved your language!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

July 26, 2012 8:47 pm  #70

Plueschkissen wrote:

Oh, no no, my love really belongs to England, not America :D I am kind of obsessed with British accent and everything and if I could chose, I'd always, always prefer the UK.

Well, I hope some day you'll get a chance to visit our beautiful country. Our politicians are f***ed up (whose aren't, I suppose), but this is a pretty special place. Problem with the US is, it's so huge, if someone were to plan a trip, I think they could only hit a couple of highlights on each visit, unless they were made of money. New York? LA? Florida? The Grand Canyon? Las Vegas? Skiing in Aspen? Hawaii? The Alaskan wilderness? My own beautiful, beloved, history-rich New England? Ah, where to start....

July 26, 2012 8:52 pm  #71

ancientsgate wrote:

Plueschkissen wrote:

Well, I hope some day you'll get a chance to visit our beautiful country. Our politicians are f***ed up (whose aren't, I suppose), but this is a pretty special place. Problem with the US is, it's so huge, if someone were to plan a trip, I think they could only hit a couple of highlights on each visit, unless they were made of money. New York? LA? Florida? The Grand Canyon? Las Vegas? Skiing in Aspen? Hawaii? The Alaskan wilderness? My own beautiful, beloved, history-rich New England? Ah, where to start....

Oh yes, I wouldn't know which city/state whatever to visit, either. If I am to visit the other side of the pond one day, I think I'd like to make a tour visiting as many states as possibly... Problem's always the money, though. My friend's been to Nebraska for a couple of months recently...

My Tumblr (:
Own Sherlock Fan Forum

-

July 26, 2012 8:54 pm  #72

Plueschkissen wrote:

Oh yes, I wouldn't know which city/state whatever to visit, either. If I am to visit the other side of the pond one day, I think I'd like to make a tour visiting as many states as possibly... Problem's always the money, though. My friend's been to Nebraska for a couple of months recently...

Nebraska. Corn fields. (American) football. A big railroad crossing. Tornadoes. What was your friend doing there? That is quintessential Middle America, for sure. Salt of the earth type of place.

July 26, 2012 8:59 pm  #73

ancientsgate wrote:

Nebraska. Corn fields. (American) football. A big railroad crossing. Tornadoes. What was your friend doing there? That is quintessential Middle America, for sure. Salt of the earth type of place.

Oh yes, she told us everyone there was a bit... obsessed with football :D She went to school there, she couldn't choose where she'd be going.

My Tumblr (:
Own Sherlock Fan Forum

-

July 26, 2012 9:18 pm  #74

If/when you visit England you will realise we have LOTS of accents and dialects (just like in Germany). Unlike Germany though many people have trouble changing their speech to standardised English to make it easier to understand. When I have visited Germany most people can change to Hochdeutsch when need be (even those from Bayern or those who normally speak Plattdeutsch).

Last edited by Davina (July 26, 2012 9:19 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 26, 2012 9:24 pm  #75

Oh, okay... I hate most of the german accents :D Fortunately, I live in a city where everyone speaks Hochdeutsch, but my grandparents are from a small village about half an hour frim my hometown and when they talk to each other, they use a nasty accent called Mayener Platt, it's kind of Plattdeutsch. I absolutely hate how the people from Bayern talk... or those from Sachsen... Eurgh, no :D

My Tumblr (:
Own Sherlock Fan Forum

-

July 26, 2012 10:27 pm  #76

Davina wrote:

If/when you visit England you will realise we have LOTS of accents and dialects (just like in Germany). Unlike Germany though many people have trouble changing their speech to standardised English to make it easier to understand. When I have visited Germany most people can change to Hochdeutsch when need be (even those from Bayern or those who normally speak Plattdeutsch).

Here too with the accents. Oh, lord, yes. There are at least (that I know of) 4 or 5 distinct accents just in my little six (small) state region of New England. Some aspects of a true Boston accent sounds very British in a way, dropping the Rs at the ends of words, putting Rs at the ends of words that end with A. I was astonished, years ago, when I listened to Patrick Stewart do his Jean-Luc Picard thing, how he dropped his Rs. Who knew? *smile* But of course, we got our origins with the Brits of the 1600s and 1700s, so not surprising that we would retain some of the speech mannerisms.

July 27, 2012 4:49 am  #77

I sometimes wonder how fortunate are those who stay in London or nearby areas. One, they have a better chance of meeting the Sherlock cast and two, they can visit all those places easily where the shooting took place.. I so feel like visiting London after watching Sherlock

Talking about accents, though we've studied British English in India but at the pace that Sherlock speaks, I always need subtitles to figure out what he's saying I am glad that there are english subtitles available with each episode..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at those cheekbones, I could cut myself slapping that face… would you like me to try?

July 27, 2012 5:11 am  #78

monitaa wrote:

Talking about accents, though we've studied British English in India but at the pace that Sherlock speaks, I always need subtitles to figure out what he's saying I am glad that there are english subtitles available with each episode..

Hey, monitaa, I'm a native speaker, and even I have to use the subtitles. They talk fast, they're extremely British, lolololol, and with the subtitles, I have a prayer of keeping up and getting every word. My ear has become acclimatized to their accent somewhat, but wow, there's a ton of dialogue in very little time, sometimes the actors talk over each other, and all I can say is, thank God for subtitles.

July 27, 2012 3:26 pm  #79

We Aussie grow up watching both British and American tv, so are used to different accents. It really bugs me when actors from either place try to do an Aussie accent, they usually end up sounding as though they are from South Africa. Even Meryl Streep couldn't managed it. She was in a movie called Evil Angels, which we called Evil Accents!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

July 27, 2012 3:39 pm  #80

hepzibah wrote:

We Aussie grow up watching both British and American tv, so are used to different accents. It really bugs me when actors from either place try to do an Aussie accent, they usually end up sounding as though they are from South Africa. Even Meryl Streep couldn't managed it. She was in a movie called Evil Angels, which we called Evil Accents!

Actors who try to do Boston/New England accents suck at it, too. Makes me wince, it's so phony. The only realistic believable Boston accents I've personally ever heard were in the movie Good Will Hunting, with Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, and that's only because they grew up in Boston so lapsed back into the accents of their childhoods.

Worst phony Boston accents?  The Perfect Storm. OMG.... awful. Cringe-worthy. I remember reading at the time that George Clooney played his part with his own voice/accent because even with a vocal coach, he could not do a Boston accent that was believable. Good for him. I wish the other actors in that film had made the same decision.

Board footera