BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 12, 2012 9:46 pm  #1

Starter for 10

Sorry, only available for UK viewers. Monday 19 March 2012 23.20 BBC2 in England & Scotland, Tuesday 20 March 2012 0020 BBC2 Northern Ireland & Wales. Benedict appears in this comedy which was first broadcast in 2008. 1hr 33 mins. Brian, a 1980s working class boy. Stumbling romantically and academically through his first year at Bristol University. He tries to achieve his lifelong ambition to  appear on TV quiz programme University Challenge and falls in love with a teammate.

Benedict plays Patrick Watts. Other cast include: James McEvoy, Catherine Tate, Mark Gatiss (as Bamber Gascoigne), James Corden, Charles Dance and Lindsey Duncan.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 13, 2012 1:50 am  #2

Re: Starter for 10

You can view it online as well. Only way I get to see most of these shows!

IT was a nice enough film. More a younger person's show really. I fast forwarded some 'obvious' scenes, lol.

I'l try & find the link for non-UK people.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 13, 2012 12:11 pm  #3

Thanks, I wasn't sure if you could get it abroad.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 29, 2012 12:21 am  #4

This movie is totally awesome!

And the cast... I think this says everything:

Benedict is ridiciously cute in this, a total smug

August 15, 2013 6:40 pm  #5

http://stagevu.com/video/ejjwfgfeaniv - Watch the entire movie online

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 9, 2014 5:00 pm  #6

Muhahahaaaaaaa...!! This guy has some comedy talent...! I sort of suspected this all along, but watching this movie delivered the final proof: Give Mister Cumberbatch the leading role in a clever comedy, pleeeaaase..!?! Hilarious, absolutely hilarious!
Okay, the film itself is what I would call a nice, amusing comedy with a more or less obvious message about what's important in life. But really, watching Benedict is so much fun...! And once again it's fascinating to see how he sort of vanishes behind the role, no Benedict, just the role he's playing.
My boyfriend said: "Your Benedict really knows how to do comedy."
Well, there you go.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 17, 2014 9:51 pm  #7

I don't usually cross-post, but I think this one deserves to be posted twice because if you need a smile brought to your lips, I shall present you with the 15 most dorky screencaps from Starter For 10. Enjoy!

And then, of course, there's also this:

Last edited by TeeJay (February 17, 2014 9:52 pm)

February 18, 2014 1:18 am  #8

I just watched this film. It was really fun.

Alone is what I have. Alone protects me.

February 18, 2014 2:16 pm  #9

I just got to watch this; thanks to TeeJay for pointing me towards this thread!

Like my mother would have put it, its a pretty 'harmless' movie... a genre of movie I have missed watching! I have always loved these movies, and it did remind me of one of my favourites 'On the Edge' with Cillian Murphy...

Gosh I just love Benedict in this; such a fun part and I loved the comedic talent... and well; I have a thing for awkward guys! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 18, 2014 2:29 pm  #10

He's just so horribly geeky in this Movie!
I must admit, it wasn't really my cup of tea but I thought he did comedy very well

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 18, 2014 2:49 pm  #11

His geekiness made me laugh so helplessly...! I could imagine that he had a hell of a time shooting this movie, it must be so much fun to play a role like this. And his comic timing is just perfect.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 18, 2014 5:36 pm  #12

He's actually made me regret never taking a drama class and possibly doing some amateur dramatics.
He reminds me that you can be so many different people and personalities when you're acting, and as a shy person, I think that's great

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

April 18, 2014 4:42 pm  #13

Bought it and watched it today. Funny movie, Ben does a great job .
I was wondering where Mark Gatiss will appear... I finally recognized him from his voice as the quiz master .

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

March 3, 2015 9:59 am  #14

I found Starter for 10 at my local library and watched it today. Benedict was totally adorkable  . I hope to see him in more comedy roles!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 3, 2015 12:09 pm  #15

Ben is comedy gold. I have to watch the DVD again soon! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 3, 2015 12:50 pm  #16

Yes, Ben makes an adorable Geek.  I like the movie overal too.  So funny and sweet.  Like a British version of a John Hughes film.  Lots of good actors in it too.   James McAvoy is lovely.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 3, 2015 1:02 pm  #17

And Mark Gatiss 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

March 3, 2015 1:10 pm  #18

And let us not forget the lovely Rebecca Hall. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 3, 2015 1:24 pm  #19

Recently took this movie to a Girl's Night Gathering.  My friends enjoyed it and couldn't believe how many familiar people were in it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 4, 2015 10:27 am  #20

Ben is absolutely hilarious in the movie and it only makes make regret more that he hasn't done enough comedy so far. But TBH I found the movie itself pretty average - it has a good start and a good ending, but it is dragging a bit in its central part. It is also irritatingly cliched, especially as far as two female characters go - what a waste of Rebecca Hall's talent!

Board footera