BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 24, 2015 5:45 am  #1

Graham speaks about Ben and Keira

Here is a short but lovely article quoting Graham Moore about the reaction he got from Ben and Keira after he gave his acceptance speech at the Oscars.

[url]http://www.peoplestylewatch.com/people/stylewatch/package/article/0,,20881794_20903765,00.html[/url]

Here it is in long form (for those who might have a problem with the link) -

Screenwriter Graham Moore's moving speech about his troubled teen years was a memorable Oscars moment, but for Moore himself, sharing the triumph with his family and friends was the highlight of his night.

"My mom and my brother and sister got to come to the ceremony last night. We all had a big hug and a cry. They've been with me through some very very bad days and it was nice for them to be with me on a happy day as well," Moore tells PEOPLE.

Benedict Cumberbatch and Keira Knightley were also emotional about his big win.

"I saw them right when I walked offstage and they were both crying. It was really beautiful. We all became very close making this film," Moore says. "Benedict was crying and we hugged. He told me he loved me and I told him I loved him. Benedict and Keira both have felt so passionately about telling Alan Turing's story. We became this Imitation Game family. "

While most viewers learned of Moore at the shining moment of his Oscar win for Best Adapted Screenplay, what stayed with people was his openness about his darker days.

"A stranger came up to me and said, 'I've dealt with depression and with these issues for my whole life. I've never talked about it publicly before. Thank you for doing that. I feel now I can talk to my family about it and talk to the people around me about it,' " Moore says. "I got very teary and we gave each other a hug. Hearing that from strangers was just so meaningful to me."

During his Oscar acceptance speech, Moore memorably told young people to "Stay weird" and admitted that he had tried to commit suicide at the age of 16.

*****************************************************************************************

You could tell right from the get-go that both Keira and Ben were heavily emotionally involved with this project - it was a true labout of love and passion for the material.  It doesn't surprise me at all that those who came together to do this film felt like a family. 

The intense way Graham and Ben embraced as Graham made his way to the stage to accept his Oscar certainly told volumes of the love and admiration they have for each other.  Made me tear up as I watched it then - and when I read about it now.  Just so beautiful!

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

February 24, 2015 1:01 pm  #2

Re: Graham speaks about Ben and Keira

It's been said before but I so appreciate the fact that Ben is not invested in being MACHO and will freely express his emotions and show honest affection for his male friends.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 24, 2015 3:48 pm  #3

Absolutely agree about that comment tonnaree!  I love that he is so effusive about all his friends, be they male or female.  He doesn't seemed to be hung up about any male/female stereotypes. 

His comment on an earlier video interview with Keira (the funny one where they are answering questions on cards) about his "bromance" with Tom Hiddlestone when he said "He's a friend, people, get over it.  What is this thing that every male friend has to be romance... I adore, adore him... " just shows he doesn't care about all that sort of thing. 

He is much more about being fiercely loyal to his all his friends no matter what gender they are.  The way he was always making sure David Oyelowo got a mention when he was interviewed on the red carpet.  The way he defended Keira when he perceived someone wasn't treating her with respect (be they in the audience as at the Timestalks.tiff event or by an interviewer earlier).  It is just part of who he is that he feels so intense about all his friendships, I think.

-Val  

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

February 24, 2015 3:59 pm  #4

ITA with all three comments--Benedict's passion for his friends, his work, his beliefs, that's one of the things that sets him apart and makes him such a wonderful person.

Thank you for the article, Val!

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

February 24, 2015 7:47 pm  #5

Absolutely agree.   Aww… that was so great. 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

February 24, 2015 8:11 pm  #6

Graham is an inspiration honestly. 

All the right people got together for that film! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera