BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 23, 2015 1:53 pm  #41

Re: Questions and ponderings about Sherlock

Yeah, my take on is it that if he got CAM to believe that he was doing drugs again, more or less rotting away in a drug den, then CAM wouldn't see him as a serious threat. And therefore create a false sense of security. My personal opinion is that this made for Sherlock a very good excuse to go back to drugs at a time when he was feelng alone.

I've never seen the drug thing as very ambigious - if Sherlock was clean, there would be no reason for Molly to hit him and yell at him for betraying the trust of his friends and throwing away the gift he was born with.

Last edited by Vhanja (February 23, 2015 1:54 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 23, 2015 2:15 pm  #42

Oh, I didn´t mean that the fact about him taking drugs was ambivalent - only the reason why he took them was.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 23, 2015 2:53 pm  #43

Hmm, I wonder if John ever walked in on Sherlock doing drugs? Not just after he moved out, but at any time during their friendship? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

February 23, 2015 2:56 pm  #44

nakahara wrote:

Oh, I didn´t mean that the fact about him taking drugs was ambivalent - only the reason why he took them was.

Ah, ok. Sorry, misunderstood you then.

I personally don't think that happened during BBC Sherlock, kitty. If it did, it would be a big deal and would be included or at least talked about in the series.

Last edited by Vhanja (February 23, 2015 2:56 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

February 23, 2015 2:57 pm  #45

I do not think so. They made it quite clear that John is aware of the potential danger (drug's bust in ASiP, danger night in ASiB) but as we never get any hint I think it did not happen. Moreover, the fact Sherlock apparently only once takes drugs  after he as met John - when he has "lost" him to marriage - underlines John's importance to Sherlock and would be lost if it happened repeatedly. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 23, 2015 3:06 pm  #46

I too think that if John walked on Sherlock taking drugs, Sherlock would never hear the end of it - and John would controll him much intensely than he was shown in the show. I doubt they would never mention it during cases (in front of us as an audience) even once.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 23, 2015 3:09 pm  #47

I love the fact that even though Sherlock's flaws and problems piss John off now and then, he nevertheless accepts Sherlock for who he is. I'll say this for John; he never really turns his back on Sherlock even when he's infuriating. He even tells Sherlock that he could have called and talked if he was near drugs again. In Scandal, John even cancelled his date to stay with Sherlock after he was drugged by Irene (remember, one of Sherlock's deductions about John in Irene's house was that he had a date that night).

I imagine that if some people found out that their best friend had drug problems they might turn their back, but John never does. He's always known who Sherlock is and that he has his problems. Ship them or not, they have a beautiful friendship when you think about it

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

February 23, 2015 3:16 pm  #48

kittykat wrote:

I love the fact that even though Sherlock's flaws and problems piss John off now and then, he nevertheless accepts Sherlock for who he is. I'll say this for John; he never really turns his back on Sherlock even when he's infuriating. He even tells Sherlock that he could have called and talked if he was near drugs again. In Scandal, John even cancelled his date to stay with Sherlock after he was drugged by Irene (remember, one of Sherlock's deductions about John in Irene's house was that he had a date that night).

I imagine that if some people found out that their best friend had drug problems they might turn their back, but John never does. He's always known who Sherlock is and that he has his problems. Ship them or not, they have a beautiful friendship when you think about it

Beautiful post. I agree.

February 23, 2015 3:24 pm  #49

On a more pleasant note...we know that Sherlock and John played Cluedo at least once. Probably only once, since I guess it didn't end well And in TEH, we see a chessboard, and Sherlock's playing Operation with Mycroft. I'm assuming that the Operation game was in the flat. 

Imagine Sherlock and John playing that! What kind of flaws might Sherlock find with it?

Last edited by kittykat (February 23, 2015 3:25 pm)

February 23, 2015 3:59 pm  #50

Great theread idea...

A thing thats bothered and amused me from SO3 is the scene where...Mycroft @ Anthea point out an agent died to bring in some information....and Sherlock is flippant ...Maybe he was just showing off!
Hmm ...this implys someone said that to Sherlock about his fake death fall thing....haha....but who? Sounds like Mycroft...but he was in with the plan ...or maybe he didn't like it...or maybe he actually didn't know about the plan and worked it out himself after the fact .. ..?.?

Or Maybe someone said it to Sherlock and Mycroft...at the same time? Perhaps Mummy was a little annoyed reading about her sons death in the papers.....and angry at them...showing off!

IDK....but whoever said it...lols @.Kudos! .

February 24, 2015 10:05 pm  #51

Probably a stupid observation but it came to me only now. If you look closely, Moffat gives away the clue about Magnussen's mind palace at the very beginning of HLV. During the hearing Magnussen says: "I have an excellent memory." Cut to his car driving into Appledore, Magnussen entering his vaults, searching for information on Lord Smallwood's youthful acquaintance. Cut to Lady Smallwood and him in the library, the encounter obviously taking place immediately after or at least on the same day as the hearing, indicating that he remembered without ever leaving the building. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 25, 2015 8:01 am  #52

Yes, Susi, that's a really good observation. Didn't recognise that before, but it totally makes sense.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 26, 2015 4:02 pm  #53

Just putting it here - BBC Sherlock was mentioned in an article on Cracked.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-hollywood-tricked-you-into-hating-poor-people/#ixzz3SkKJln8a

"That's not the case for Sherlock, in which Holmes and Watson have to get the famous apartment at 221B Baker Street together out of financial necessity (Watson was on a military pension, Holmes was freelancing as an occasional crime-solver who doesn't demand payment for his services). That property would sell for $2.8 million fucking dollars in real life. And, sure, Holmes got a deal on the place thanks to his relationship with the owner, but he also has a stylish wardrobe, including shirts in the $200 to $500 range and multiple copies of a trademark overcoat worth about $2,000 each. Watson's trademark jacket (the one with the patch on one shoulder) costs $1,100. When Watson gets married, everyone in the wedding party is adorned in custom suits and dresses ...BBC ... and they host a lavish reception afterward:BBC And again, in the real world, all of those things are attainable ... if you work yourself like a fucking dog. In the show, they just kind of take whatever freelance jobs they find interesting, whether they pay or not. We briefly see Watson doing work in a clinic, but it's clearly part time, considering they're both able to dash off and take cases at a moment's notice, giving them their full attention. Work simply doesn't get in the way. That choice that virtually all of us have to make -- nice house or car vs. free time and a social life -- simply doesn't exist for them."

Team Hudders!

February 26, 2015 8:13 pm  #54

Ha! Firstly, they are renting a flat 221B from Mrs. Hudson, and have not bought it. she may well have owned it for many years previously, before the area was developed and became more expensive to buy. (Has the person writing the article watched the show properly?)

For  the purposes of costuming for the show Sherlock has multiple copies of the famous coat but as a character he has precisely...one. Sherlock himself is not actually motivated by money and it is John who has to make him be more so. Yes, again in the show John's jacket is expensive as as Sherlock's shirts but this is NOT real life, it IS a show. Sherlock does not generally wear other more casual clothes so his wardrobe is quite limited really and he may have a private income (quite likely from canon).

Suits, as worn at the wedding, are usually hired for the day here and are it purchased. It is usual at very many weddings here for ladies to wear pretty outfits which may well cost more than they would usually spend. As for the wedding reception/breakfast, who is to say that Mary did not have her own monetary resources? Obviously, being a show the writers can take some liberties with the reality of the cost if the wedding etc.

Crikey, I presume this person has a particular axe to grind and that they never watch shows and films in which one has to suspend disbelief and also accept that this is not the real world, but a fictional one. Batman, Green Arrow as two other examples have main protagonists who really don't have to watch the pennies. Chip on shoulder leaps to mind. 

But then they are saying that this is one way Hollywood has tricked 'us' into hating poor people. Firstly, the BBC is most definitely not Hollywood. I would be interested to see what their other examples are...Then again, people can just win the National Lottery! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 26, 2015 9:54 pm  #55

Just one comment - Sherlock does actually mention in the series that he has several of the coat. 

I like Cracked, there articles are meant to be taken with a grain of salt, they are written for comedic purposes. But they usually always have a point, even if slightly exaggerated. 

Team Hudders!

February 27, 2015 2:51 am  #56

besleybean wrote:

1. Sherlock wasn't really that ' inhuman' in Canon, he was just a bit different. I think they will fairly follow that in BBC Sherlock.
2. I've been expecting no 2 to happen for a while and will be frankly disappointed if it doesn't happen. But that largely depends on:
3. The team are a bit tight lipped about the future of Mary...would they keep her in?  I don't know.

remark on n.3 Seeing as Mary dies in Canon, I really don't expect Mofftiss to keep her in very long...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

February 28, 2015 12:37 pm  #57

I have a theory about why Sherlock tends to kind of latch on to his friends. Not just John, but also Greg, Molly and Mrs Hudson (and now Mary). 

Think back to The Blind Banker, and their meeting with Sebastian. He says that everyone hated it when Sherlock would make deductions about them, and Sherlock looks quite sad at that, poor thing. But in his group of friends, they've always accepted him as he is right from the start. They never treat him as a freak, or anything "not normal". As far as I can see, they treat him like a normal person and to be honest, I think Sherlock actually likes that. Yes, he likes showing off now and then (but if I had his intellect, I would too) but I think he likes that he doesn't have to impress them or pretend when he's with them.

Going back to an earlier post I made in this thread about Sherlock's flaws, John's not the only one who tells him off when he starts being irritating. Molly slaps him, Greg has been known to tell him off. And they get away with it because I think that deep down, Sherlock appreciates their honesty towards him. And that's why he trusts them.

I liked the happy family feeling I got at the end of TEH, with the scene in the flat. And I think Sherlock understands now that he has a good circle of friends who love and care about him, but aren't afraid to tell him what they think. And he has changed a lot by the end of Series 3, which has a lot to do with their influence over him. He's becoming a better person thanks to them. And he's learning to love other people

And you know what? I can only see this developing further as the series goes on. I can't wait to see where Moftiss go with this particular aspect of the show. 

March 5, 2015 10:49 am  #58

Just because I didn't know where else to put this - I never noticed this!

http://ilovebenedict.tumblr.com/post/112721541530/anindoorkitty-no-touching

For whatever reason, that small detail made me love Sherlock just a little bit more. 

Team Hudders!

March 5, 2015 11:02 am  #59

I did and it is a lovely detail to characterise Sherlock's attitude towards David. 

March 5, 2015 11:09 am  #60

Regarding Sherlock's and John's finances - didn't they get paid a five figure sum by Sebastian Wilkes when they solved the case of The Blind Banker? I'm sure they would have put a bit of it away for a rainy day. Plus, John would have been working full-time during Sherlock's absence for 2 years, I'm sure he wouldn't have been blowing his pay checks either. He would have had enough money for a classy wedding, especially as it wasn't a big wedding (not a huge crowd of guests).

Last edited by ukaunz (March 5, 2015 11:11 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera