BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 28, 2014 10:15 pm  #21

Re: Questions and ponderings about Sherlock

Hm, yes. But I would've thought he knew John well enough to know how he would react to find Sherlock stoned out in a drug den.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 28, 2014 10:24 pm  #22

I suppose he was just so pleased to see him that he didn't think that far.   But also, in the past, John has been very trusting about Sherlock's motives and methods that I can see that Sherlock might expect him to continue to trust him.  And maybe John has gone in there to rescue somebody so is still in rescuer mode and thinks Sherlock needs rescuing.

December 28, 2014 10:28 pm  #23

And this is probably the first time they meet after the wedding. So Sherlock might indeed be glad enough to see John and trust him to believe he is on a case. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 28, 2014 10:32 pm  #24

Yeah, that is probably it. It's just not like Sherlock to be so shortsighted.

(Also, I love his EPIC tantrum on the way to the car!)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

December 28, 2014 10:39 pm  #25

Yes, great scene. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 28, 2014 10:51 pm  #26

We must not forget that this scene was also an adaptation of openíng scene from "The Man with a Twisted Lip". The story begins when John enters a drug den trying to find Isa Whitney, his neighbour´s husband and Sherlock, being in disguise (for a case) speaks to him:

It would be a bit hard to pull this scene off if Sherlock didn´t speak to John at all. 

Last edited by nakahara (December 28, 2014 10:53 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 28, 2014 10:56 pm  #27

Thank you very much, I really do not get all Canon references. Makes a lot of sense. 

December 28, 2014 10:58 pm  #28

True, true. But if the audience didn't know he was there, we wouldn't miss it, would we?

Team Hudders!

January 7, 2015 11:45 am  #29

Ok, guys, another one.

In TEH, reunion show. The second cafe they are in, where they are sitting down and Sherlock says who knew about the faked death.

Does anyone know WHERE thas was filmed?! Because there is an Italian restaurant/cafe in Baker Street, and it looks just like that one. I know the chances are microscopical that it was filmed in one of the few places in London I've actually been, but does anyone know?

Team Hudders!

January 7, 2015 12:26 pm  #30

Sorry, but I cannot remember anything like that from setlock. Anyone else?

January 7, 2015 4:41 pm  #31

The Boss knows, I think.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 8, 2015 6:45 pm  #32

And because it seems I sometimes ponder things no one else in their right mind would ever bother thinking about, I found myself asking this question today:

In TGG, the pool scene. John takes hold of Moriarty and says:

"Your sniper pulls that trigger, Mr. Moriarty, then we both go up."

Now, to address someone as "Mr. Last Name" is a polite and formal way of addressing someone. Why would John bother being polite in a situation like this? I understand that he wouldn't actually want to say "Jim", but what about simply saying Moriarty? (For those who have read/seen Harry Potter, you can easily imagine how much disdain you can put into a last name - "Potter").

Last edited by Vhanja (February 8, 2015 6:51 pm)

Team Hudders!

February 22, 2015 9:34 pm  #33

Rewatching TEH and there's this small thing I've always wondered:

Sherlock hanging from the cellar in Serbia - is that really Ben? I've always figured it wasn't, for two reasons:

1. Even though it's only for shooting, hanging like that must become very uncomfortable very quickly. So I always assumed that kind of work would be left to a stuntman.
2. The man hanging there looks VERY buff, have you seen the muscles on his back, shoulders and arms?! I know Ben is in great shape, but he seems more lean and thin to me. That was a thing that stood out to me from the very first time I saw the scene.

What do you guys think?

Team Hudders!

February 23, 2015 2:46 am  #34

Yes, it was him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 23, 2015 7:44 am  #35

He bulked up to play Khan, so maybe he was left with some of that for S3.

February 23, 2015 11:47 am  #36

Well, wow...

Team Hudders!

February 23, 2015 12:44 pm  #37

Here's something I've been wondering about. I'm guessing that by Molly's reaction to Sherlock in HLV, he was definitely on drugs and not just faking. Now, I know that Sherlock wanted Magnussen to get wind of it and print it, but...Magnussen says himself that he doesn't have to prove anything, only print it. So wouldn't it have been enough for Sherlock merely to be seen in the drug den? Why go back on the drugs when simply being seen there might have been enough?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

February 23, 2015 1:15 pm  #38

That was something that was deliberately left ambivalent in the show. But I guess - from the bitter way Sherlock reacted in Baker Street on John´s remark about his missing chair - that Sherlock was in a funk after John´s marriage and took drugs maybe to dumb his feeling of pain and abandonement.

But that is just my personal theory, as good as any other.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 23, 2015 1:17 pm  #39

I think drugs are a strange choice anyway.  Sherlock's previous drug use wasn't a great secret and he had been suspected of much worse things (murder, child kidnapping and no doubt paedophilia, etc.) and was prepared to completely destroy any reputation that he had if it fitted his purpose (in TRF).   Anyone who knew much about him would know that.  It wasn't as if Magnussen could threaten him with public exposure - he didn't care about that.  Maybe he was just using the drugs to draw Magnussen out, rather than truly believing that Magnussen would fall for it as a pressure point.  (And there's that odd moment when Magnussen says "Redbeard", showing that he knows Sherlock's real pressure points - Sherlock chooses to ignore it, presumably for John's benefit).

Anyway, I imagine he took the drugs because he enjoyed the sensation and because he was "undercover", being one of the drug den people - easier to actually take the drugs than to try to fake taking them. 

Last edited by Liberty (February 23, 2015 1:18 pm)

February 23, 2015 1:30 pm  #40

Yes, rather than serious impression of a drug use, this was probably a bait to lure CAM out of his den.

And Sherlock´s experimental and empiric nature would maybe suffice him as a reason to try the drugs for real, that´s true.

Board footera