BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 15, 2014 7:44 pm  #321

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

besleybean wrote:

My favourite kind!

Why?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 15, 2014 7:48 pm  #322

I like dark art, books and films.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 15, 2014 7:53 pm  #323

I like the darkness too

But Atonement was too dark a place for me to revisit. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 15, 2014 7:59 pm  #324

I can understand that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 15, 2014 8:02 pm  #325

I love dark. But Atonement was depressingly grey to me.

Last edited by Schmiezi (December 15, 2014 8:28 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 15, 2014 8:06 pm  #326

I possibly should give the book a chance.

December 15, 2014 9:16 pm  #327

Schmiezi wrote:

I love dark. But Atonement was depressingly grey to me.

That's a good word for it, I think.  The Cement Garden was dark.   It was the first of McEwan's that I read, and I loved it enough to read it twice and see the film.  I think it's probably too dark for me now!

December 16, 2014 9:13 am  #328

For dark (mostly) I can now recommend 'The Mistletoe Bride' by Kate Mosse. Short stories, some unsettling, some dark, some optimistic. All are based upon places she has visted or lived. sme are based on old folk tales, stories. Now, I have just started 'The Martian' by Andy Weir. So far it is excellent. Based on a wonderful idea of an astronaut stranded alone on Mars (sounds far-fetched but the techie stuff seems accurate and the motivations are believable). Will let you know what I think when I have finished.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 16, 2014 4:52 pm  #329

I've only read her...Winter Ghosts, is it?
Very good.

January 6, 2015 12:29 pm  #330

Excellent! Both the Kate Mosse book (short stories) and also The Martian. This is, I suppose, science fiction but it does not actually have that 'feel'. I comes over very much as both science fact and a very human story about the drive for survival against all the odds and also man's humanity to man. Yes, humanity, not inhumanity, which makes a nice change. You really root for the protagonist in this story. Very exciting culmination too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 7, 2015 1:55 pm  #331

I don't have time to read anymore, but for christmas I got Ed Sheerans autobiography "A Visual Journey". And it might be the best thing I've ever read. I get so inspired to "follow my dreams" because if he could do it, why couldn't I?

January 8, 2015 8:49 am  #332

Love me some Ed! Not just because he's ginger! 

January 9, 2015 10:13 am  #333

I started with the Sherlock book "A Study in Scarlet" (the BBC tie-in book). It's the first time that I read it. I bought all books a few months ago but was reading "Frankenstein" at that time. I'm a slow reader and I'm not that far at the moment (chapter 3) but it's already very funny. The thing with the Solar System made me laugh because I immediately thought of the series version. I'm glad I have much stuff to read in the future. But I think in spring time I have to start with "Hamlet" because it is really tough to read for a non-native speaker. I have a book with the English and German texts together which will help a lot to understand the original text.

January 9, 2015 11:58 am  #334

Just remember that Hamlet was written for the stage. Try and watch it first, if you can, just for the general 'feel'.

February 12, 2015 6:27 pm  #335

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 13, 2015 4:42 am  #336

Re-reading at the moment Robert McKee's book about writing - STORY: Substance, Structure, Style and the Principles of Screenwriting.  An absolute must for anyone interested in understanding what makes great film and storytelling.

This book is so dense in information that it needs re-reading every now and again.  This book and Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell are the two books I go back to time and time again.

I learn something every time I do.  Wonderful.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

February 20, 2015 1:12 pm  #337

At the moment I am reading       
Aus dem Leben einer Matratze bester Machart by Tim Krohn. Yes, it is about a mattress.

Last edited by JenHart (February 20, 2015 1:15 pm)

February 20, 2015 2:08 pm  #338

Sounds intriguing. 

I just finished reading "The Song of Achill" by Madeline Miller, a wonderful retelling of the Achilles-Patroclus relationship from the Iliad in form of a love story. Highly recommended. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 20, 2015 2:50 pm  #339

So many books......................................My Amazon wishlist has gotten outrageous.
I'm so glad books don't have expiration dates.  I'll have a lot to do when I retire. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 20, 2015 2:57 pm  #340

I must admit that besides school books I nearly always read fanfics these days. And the Chronicles.

Board footera