BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 18, 2015 11:26 am  #1

Filming the Vanity Fair shoot

Just found this video. Lovely account by photographer Jason Bell. It shows once again how completely dedicated and professional Benedict is and not only in his acting work. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7QXXrCx-G0

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 18, 2015 11:47 am  #2

Re: Filming the Vanity Fair shoot

Thanks for sharing this, it was really interesting. I wasn't able to tell at first whether Ben was bored or just focused and concentrated. But he does seem very professional about it. It does look quite tiring, though. Being micro-managed, told what to wear, how to stand, move your hand two centimeters to the right, stand still there - you really have to lose all sense of being self-conscious to do that well!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 18, 2015 11:56 am  #3

WAAAAHHH!
I have no sound at work.... but still: THUD. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

February 18, 2015 9:49 pm  #4

Lovely, Susi! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 18, 2015 9:56 pm  #5

Vhanja wrote:

Thanks for sharing this, it was really interesting. I wasn't able to tell at first whether Ben was bored or just focused and concentrated. But he does seem very professional about it. It does look quite tiring, though. Being micro-managed, told what to wear, how to stand, move your hand two centimeters to the right, stand still there - you really have to lose all sense of being self-conscious to do that well!

I seem to remember that the photographer said that Benedict was participating in the process and making his own decision. For example the jump into the water was his idea. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 18, 2015 9:59 pm  #6

"the extra mile", yes 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 18, 2015 10:23 pm  #7

SusiGo wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

I seem to remember that the photographer said that Benedict was participating in the process and making his own decision. For example the jump into the water was his idea

He knows what we like.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 18, 2015 10:46 pm  #8

Oh yes, he definitely does.
Although I have to admit: I especially love him at the very end of the video, when he's saying goodbye to Jason Bell, wearing that coat, his hair still a little wet... bloody gorgeous.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 19, 2015 7:33 am  #9

SusiGo wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

I seem to remember that the photographer said that Benedict was participating in the process and making his own decision. For example the jump into the water was his idea. 

Oh, he did. Still look tiring, though. 

Last edited by Vhanja (February 19, 2015 7:34 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 19, 2015 12:15 pm  #10

I loooved the part with "Wait, are you sinking?"
And then this:

LOVE this man! 

February 19, 2015 12:42 pm  #11

Absolutely  brillant!  Love it.

He always seems to be very professional even when he is tired. It's part of his job. We can be sorry for him but that's the way it is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 19, 2015 12:50 pm  #12

He has the chance to do one of the best and most interesting jobs in the world and he knows it.

Last edited by SolarSystem (February 19, 2015 12:51 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 19, 2015 3:34 pm  #13

Here is another short video about the ame photo shoot for VF.

Fun to watch for sure!  Just a little more about prepping for the shoot (showing Ben arriving and getting ready). 

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

February 19, 2015 3:35 pm  #14

Oh, thank you so much for this!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 19, 2015 4:16 pm  #15

My pleasure!

I really like how you can see how unruly his hair can be when the dresser is combing him out!  That's quite a mop.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 19, 2015 4:52 pm  #16

Thank you Val!
Ah, and all that tree climbing...
And did I mention how good he's looking in that coat? 

February 19, 2015 5:49 pm  #17

Yes, indeed he did look good in that long coat!

Thank goodness they didn't let him jump into the water in that lovely thing! 

I like that in this video you get a better look at him jumping out of the tree.

I think the whole thing was rather fun for him.  And he seemed very interested in the more technical aspects of it too. 

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 19, 2015 6:02 pm  #18

The Vanity Fair photo shoot is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.  

Last edited by tonnaree (February 19, 2015 6:34 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 19, 2015 6:05 pm  #19

I just realised again why I don't want to be famous XD
It looks hard work, and people telling me what to do all the time, and brushing stuff in my face, grrrrr I would just jump them in the face at some point... but he is very concentrated, polite, and indeed doing his job well. It needs a lot of focus and self-restraint, this photo taking, I think. I wouldn't like it (although maybe I would when I think of the money^^).
I laughed when I saw the dogs
I love this kind of "behind the scenes" feeling. Everybody there seems so very normal and kind and yet doing a good job. It must be fun to work in such an environment.
Also, I think, he has to offer the way he poses, no? I don't hear the photographer telling him? Or is that stuff they would talk through beforehand?

What does he say when he jumps from the tree? Something "my face..."

Haha and I love when they talk about jumping in the water and pretending to take the clothes off, and he says: "Does that work?"
I was grinning, like... "yeah, we do think so, we being some million girls out there^^"
But I thought he was a bit skeptical at first. And then he totally plays it out :D

Last edited by Whisky (February 19, 2015 6:14 pm)

"It is what it is."

February 19, 2015 6:28 pm  #20

Whiskey, I think they run through the general idea of what the theme of the shoot is going to be and then it is the photog's job to zero in on specifics (like where to place his hands, etc.) in certain shots. 

But as Ben said near the end of the video, the whole session is a collaboration - team work from all the people involved.  The photog is the artist who has a vision of what he is creating.  The subject can (and Ben did) offer his input. 

I think I heard Ben say something like that he was afraid that he was going to end up with scratches on his face when he jumped down and then he went on to say (once he looked at the picture) that it was blurry and not a good pose ("a bad landing" was something I also think I heard).

The whole thing about jumping in the water was done at Ben's suggestion.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

Board footera