BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 15, 2015 1:16 pm  #1241

Re: Let's talk all things lovely about Ben...

SolarSystem wrote:

Mrs.Wenceslas wrote:

tonnaree + Harriet: third 

Make that four.
I'm really happy for Benedict, but as far as I'm concerned nothing's changed: I'm still a fan of Benedict and his work, nothing more, nothing less. I'm interested in him, his work, his hair, his hands, the clothes he wears on red carpets, the things he talks about in interviews, the way he laughs in talk shows... that's the main thing for me.

This!
The most important thing is that Benedict is happy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 15, 2015 1:29 pm  #1242

Agreed, gently. And I'm sure that his private happiness reflects on how he can go about doing his work.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 15, 2015 7:18 pm  #1243

Vhanja wrote:

To change the subject a little bit - I've seen it brought up in interviews every now and then whether Ben is posh or not.

Well, I found this pic that answers the question once and for all:

Ben watching tennis (French Open). 
In a Lacoste t-shirt.

I don't think you can get any posher than that even if you tried.

I know that in Britain, "post" might be seen as a negative word, but as a Norwegian, it's sure isn't one for me. His poshness is one of the things I adore about him. 

So,wearing a Lacoste tshirt makes a person automatically posh. Well.ok.

February 15, 2015 7:20 pm  #1244

I am very reluctant to use this word in connection with Benedict as it is usually used in unfriendly media coverage. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 15, 2015 7:34 pm  #1245

Quite frankly, people can call him whatever they wanna call him. And if they feel the need to put him into drawers, especially based on the fact that he's wearing clothes from certain brands, then so be it. I just think that's so not important and says absolutely nothing about him as a human being. Probably says a lot more about the people who call him things.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

February 15, 2015 7:38 pm  #1246

So I guess the attempt of light-hearted humour missed everyone. You guys take it so seriously.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 15, 2015 8:49 pm  #1247

Yes, that must be it.

February 15, 2015 9:14 pm  #1248

I thought Lacoste was so 80ies?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 15, 2015 9:17 pm  #1249

Well, he said he is an old soul. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 15, 2015 9:22 pm  #1250

SusiGo wrote:

Well, he said he is an old soul. 

Lol! A soul from the 80s, he is practically ancient. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 15, 2015 9:24 pm  #1251

Timeless poshness.

Last edited by SolarSystem (February 15, 2015 9:24 pm)

February 15, 2015 10:01 pm  #1252

If posh=classy, then there's no question!

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

February 16, 2015 8:11 am  #1253

Didn't know Lacoste is posh, I though these boring PRL shirts are posh.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

February 16, 2015 9:29 am  #1254

I think it must be a Scandinavian thing, I also never saw how Posh was a negative term... I think Benedict is a very classy man, and in a good way because he's not all stuck up about it. 
He's just from a better class...

To me he's everything British. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 16, 2015 9:51 am  #1255

I am so thankful for my complete brand-blindness in this. All I see on the picture is some commonly looking blue T-shirt.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 16, 2015 11:46 am  #1256

I've only been Benaddicted for about two weeks, but I think I may have overdosed, like eating a whole tub of chocolate icecream in one sitting. I've consumed as much Benedict Cumberbatch as I can since finishing all three seasons of Sherlock. I've perused fan art and read a bit of fan fic. I love watching his interviews and gazing at the clever animated gifs. I've listened to him reading poetry and laughed at his funny faces and mispronounciation of "penguins". I find him adorable. My husband is starting to get jealous and even my kids talk about how "mum loves Benedict Cumberbatch" 

Last week I watched The Fifth Estate, Atonement, and War Horse. I have reserved everything related to BC that my local library has. Last night I watched Third Star and went to bed crying (such a great movie but devastating), but today I watched Star Trek Into Darkness and was exhilarated by his performance. I feel like I'm on an emotional rollercoaster. Benedict can make me feel any and every emotion! I want more!

Later today I was googling pictures of Benadict and Sophie and noticed that in all of their pictures together neither one looks deliriously happy - both have these closed-lipped smiles in every photo. He looks so much happier and more lively in older photos and interviews. And then I made the mistake of reading some of the horrible comments and gossip about him on some websites. I just got this depressed, disillusioned feeling, but I kept looking and reading.

I decided to re-watch The Blind Banker tonight with my husband and he asked me what was wrong. Instead of enjoying my new favourite show I was sitting there looking at Benedict and wondering what he's really like, if he's really worth my (brief) obsession. I couldn't feel the thrill I felt when I watched season 3 for the first time just last week. I guess I'm not really cut out to be a Cumbercookie  Or maybe it's just PMS 

Sorry for the babble. I don't really know what my point is. Has anyone else here ever felt like they've had too much of a good thing? Or had something good spoiled? 

Last edited by ukaunz (February 16, 2015 11:56 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 16, 2015 11:52 am  #1257

Yeah, I've definitely had that feeling over a lot of things...but really, you should reserve judgement until you actually get chance to meet him yourself. People on fan websites don't REALLY know what he's like. In fact, none of us do...even if you met him briefly for one small moment that would still be just the public face he puts on for his fans. But he IS worthy of your obsession simply because he's an absolutely wonderful actor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 16, 2015 12:00 pm  #1258

Thanks for your reply 

I just edited my post above to add the word "disillusioned" which suddenly popped into my head (I couldn't think of it before).

Yeah, he is definitely a brilliant actor, and very intelligent, eloquent, charming etc. I think he's affecting my hormones, maybe that's all it is  I think maybe I need to take a break from looking at the internet's opinions of him, and concentrate on enjoying his work for myself.

Last edited by ukaunz (February 16, 2015 12:19 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 16, 2015 12:35 pm  #1259

I've had a few dips in my obsession... having days where I look at the pictures on my wall and think 'What are you doing??' lol.... but then again I've been a fan girl for most of my life (my Benaddiction is only a year old...) but there's so much for me to admire about him.

His acting skills are what initially drew me in... I was amazed how I could barely recognise him in other characters. I was a bit freaked out actually, because I was deeply in love with Sherlock... but I couldn't get into Ben... until... BAM. 

No matter what Ben is really like or what not... following him gives me an escape I really need and that's great! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 16, 2015 12:47 pm  #1260

Later today I was googling pictures of Benadict and Sophie and noticed that in all of their pictures together neither one looks deliriously happy - both have these closed-lipped smiles in every photo.

I have noticed this about Sophie, especially, in posed photos--but if you see candid shots of them without her posed smile, especially when they are smiling at each other, the case is quite different. She is so much prettier and happier looking without that closed mouth smile!

(ETA:  To my eye, especially in candid snaps of him looking at Sophie, Benedict looks to be very happy and in love--and even more so when he's congratulated or asked about her in interviews, he gets this almost shy, delighted look on his face, very sweet. )

Last edited by REReader (February 16, 2015 1:07 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

Board footera