BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 14, 2012 12:48 pm  #1

Why no protective clothing?

What is the purpose, in Study in Pink, of John Watson, Lestrade etc. all dressing up in their blue suits and shoe covers if Sherlock doesn't? Personally I think it is solely down to the action required when Sherlock zooms off at the end, leaving John behind. In the pilot Sherlock does wear a blue suit but it all looks a bit clumsy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 14, 2012 1:09 pm  #2

Re: Why no protective clothing?

Cos he's sherlock

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you eliminate the impossible,
What every remains,
However improbable,...
Must be the truth !

February 16, 2012 11:02 pm  #3

Yeah, I think it works that he doesn't wear protective clothing - it fits in with Anderson's comment about him messing up the crime scene. He's too arrogant to wear protective clothing of course. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 17, 2012 3:44 am  #4

Exactly, he is 'above' all that.
If you see the pilot you will see that he does; but in the making of the final show, they decided he doesn't need to which sends a message of superiority about the character.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

Board footera