BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 26, 2015 8:40 pm  #1221

Re: Let's talk all things lovely about Ben...

I just realized once again how well Benedict is able to look completely different in the characters he play...

Today at lunch I realized that the male doctor I work for looks like Benedict's Alan Turing. 

The man looks nothing like Benedict (except for maybe the same giggle) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 13, 2015 10:24 am  #1222

As I couldn't find a better thread for this bit, I put it here:

http://superbbatch.tumblr.com/post/110887363053/oscar-contender-benedict-cumberbatch-opens-up-x

I think what he says here is important. 

Last edited by Vhanja (February 13, 2015 10:24 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 13, 2015 10:29 am  #1223

Very important regarding the behaviour of some so-called fans. But I am sure that the majority will respect his privacy as it should be. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 13, 2015 10:35 am  #1224

It's important, definitely, and the way he's putting it is also very sweet.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 13, 2015 1:09 pm  #1225

Oh, yes, that should be respected by everyone. And yes, Solar, you are right. The way he said it is absolutely sweet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 13, 2015 3:36 pm  #1226

Yes, I too am glad Ben said that.  It is important to get that message across. 

Just a note: In the subtitles one of frames shows him saying "True fans know they are treating on something, which is very dear and private to me".  What Ben actually said was "treading" - not that it makes the meaning of what he is saying any different, but it does make more sense when the proper word is used in the sentence.

Edited: because the last part of my post seemed better suited in another thread.

-Val

Last edited by Ah-chie (February 13, 2015 10:41 pm)

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

February 13, 2015 4:49 pm  #1227

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only fan that doesn't want to talk about Sophie and the baby.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 13, 2015 4:53 pm  #1228

It is fine if you do not want to talk about it. And also if people who want to do this in a nice and respectful way. The only thing I really loathe are those spiteful blogs and conspiracy theorists. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 13, 2015 4:57 pm  #1229

tonnaree wrote:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only fan that doesn't want to talk about Sophie and the baby.

Here's another one! You are not alone! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 13, 2015 5:03 pm  #1230

tonnaree wrote:

In a way, I don't either. I still feel this ridiculous pang of jealousy whenever I see a pic of the two of them together or I read/hear something he says about the baby. But I figure the only way to get over that is to just ignore it and relate to her and his baby in an adult way while inwardly stomping on my teenager-self who wants to close my eyes, stuff my fingers in my ears and pretend nothing like that exists. Therapy through exposure, if you will. 

(Not saying any of these apply to you or any other fan - that is just how it is to me).

Last edited by Vhanja (February 13, 2015 5:03 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

February 13, 2015 5:26 pm  #1231

I'm aware of the fact that they are both professionals who know how to deal with lots of publicity and also intrusions into their private life. And still I kind of pity them for this attention - something I wouldn't want for me, hubby or my children.
So at the moment I don't feel a strong desire to add to it. It just feels wrong to me *shrug*

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 13, 2015 5:56 pm  #1232

But talking about it on this thread isn't adding to any problems he might have, is it?

The problem comes when "fans" do overt intrusive things or say unkind, jealous, or mean-spirited things in the social media (like in blogs, twitter, etc.).  I don't see how saying congrats to both of them or wishing them the best (or even saying that they are sweet together) is hurtful or contributing to any sort of problem in any way.

Maybe I was a weird duck, but even when I was a teenager I never felt any bad feelings about a celebrity I liked getting married or having a relationship with anyone.  I was always happy if they were happy.  Their personal choices isn't something that affects me personally.   It was just an interesting sidelight that could make me smile hearing that they were in a happy place.  I don't understand it otherwise.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

February 13, 2015 6:46 pm  #1233

Meant no insult to anyone here who enjoys the subject.  This board has always been a polite and respectful place.
Having a bad day and it may have leaked out a little. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 13, 2015 7:39 pm  #1234

I feel any from of attention is adding to the media-induced problems Benedict might have. To an extent, he has some control over it. He knows when he takes on a role in a Star Trek movie, we will get more attention. He knows when he takes on the leading role in a Weinstein movie, he will get more attention. He knows when he takes on a leading role in a Marvel movie, he will get more attention. He knows when he does another season of Sherlock, he will get more attention. He might or might not like that attention, but I think he is smart enough to know that the choices he makes in his career have an impact on his private life. He can easily avoid that by going back to do theatre, low-profile TV-work and every now and then a role in an indie-movie and avoiding the big stuff. The press (and most of the fans) would move on soon enough. But he chooses to grab the opportunity that is presenting itself to him and makes the most of it (I am personally very glad that he does make the choices he makes, simply because it means I can enjoy watching his talent unfold more often).

Sophie, too, strikes me as smart enough to make her own choices as if she wants to be sucked into that crazy life Ben is living right now. Apparently she has decided that having Ben at her side is worth dealing with fans and photographers every now and than. So up to that point I would say: those are two seemingly intelligent adults and they know what they are getting themselves into.

The problem is that the kid won’t have that luxury, at least not for a few years to come. He or she will be totally dependent on the choices Ben and Sophie make; whether it is to share their joy with the world or to keep their family life private. Judging by their handling of things until now, I suspect that they will lean more towards the later. We as fans should respect any choice they make. The problem is that if there is a great interest in the fandom for Sophie or the kid, the press will provide. I have seen this in my younger years when I was still part of the Madonna fandom: there where whole websites dedicated not to her, but to her (back than) two kids, mostly consisting out of paparazzi photos and speculative newspaper articles. At some point she even addressed her distress about that in an interview. I know at least two sites (obviously by true, if not very thoughtful, fans who thought they were just being nice) went offline the very next day.

So I would say: congratulating Ben and Sophie on the engagement or the pregnancy, fine. Congratulating when the birth of the hopefully happy and healthy baby is announced by them, fine. Congratulating when they announce they have been married, fine. Being reduced to an oohing and aawwing mess when or if Ben and Sophie decide to release a photo of their child, fine. Refraining to comment on any of these news if one is still too grief-stricken about Ben being off the market, fine. But reacting, speculating, buying or clicking on anything private that does not stem from Ben and Sophie or being unkind about anything related to their private life, not fine.

But to be honest, what I have seen till now from Ben’s fandom, they seem (apart from the name maybe) very respectful towards Ben and quite self-regulating, so I’m not too worried. As long as everyone makes sure not to feed into any media-induced frenzy, it will all be fine.

Last edited by Lola Red (February 13, 2015 7:41 pm)

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

February 13, 2015 9:21 pm  #1235

I think that if fans are happy about Benedict and wish him well, they should not hesitate to state it publicly - just to counterbalance the crazies leading hate-blogs and to show that not all fans are like that.

It´s depressing that even in the original page posted above, five-or six people commenting on the gif were haters who think that Ben´s relationship is a sham. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 14, 2015 10:40 am  #1236

tonnaree + Harriet: third 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

February 14, 2015 10:52 am  #1237

Mrs.Wenceslas wrote:

tonnaree + Harriet: third 

Make that four.
I'm really happy for Benedict, but as far as I'm concerned nothing's changed: I'm still a fan of Benedict and his work, nothing more, nothing less. I'm interested in him, his work, his hair, his hands, the clothes he wears on red carpets, the things he talks about in interviews, the way he laughs in talk shows... that's the main thing for me.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 14, 2015 1:37 pm  #1238

same for me!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

February 15, 2015 8:09 am  #1239

And me!
I hope they are happy and I wish them well for the future, but aside from that I don't have a huge interest in his personal life with his wife and baby.
I want to see more of his work and would love him to get more and more recognition as an actor.
I do feel uncomfortable though, about the obsessive and bitter stuff that some people are - publicly - posting.
Some of it is potentially career harming and, therefore, imo, some of these haters are quite sinister.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 15, 2015 8:55 am  #1240

To change the subject a little bit - I've seen it brought up in interviews every now and then whether Ben is posh or not.

Well, I found this pic that answers the question once and for all:

Ben watching tennis (French Open). 
In a Lacoste t-shirt.

I don't think you can get any posher than that even if you tried.

I know that in Britain, "post" might be seen as a negative word, but as a Norwegian, it's sure isn't one for me. His poshness is one of the things I adore about him. 

Team Hudders!

Board footera