BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 31, 2014 5:58 pm  #1

Why Sherlock Twiddles stuff

I had a bit of a bright moment the other day while watching a documentary on memory.

We all know and love the scenes where Sherlock throws stuff up in the air (and I'm sure some of you even have gifs of him doing it). I have actually been wondering why he did that, if it was just a 'boyish' thing to do...

In the documentary they explained how people who learn to juggle have an increase in grey matter in the brain, in short making them more clever.

I can't help but wonder now if it was a deliberate choice to have Sherlock juggle stuff? 

Or... am I just thinking too much?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

May 31, 2014 6:17 pm  #2

Re: Why Sherlock Twiddles stuff

Maybe you are right. I noticed that when I'm trying to remember something and while that I'm making some movements ( not only throwing things up in the air but also doing some crazy things with my hands and legs ) my memory works somehow better. And later, when I'm repeating this movement I immediately remind all these things that I have learnt. So, perhaps in Sherlock's case this works the same. He is throwing phone ( and other things ) up in the air because he was doing the same while he was remembering something.

Or mabye he just shows that he is bored xD

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

May 31, 2014 6:19 pm  #3

You're thinking too much. In the SIB commentary, Benedict says it's just a habit of his:

I am a sucker for picking things up and twiddling them in this. I must calm that down next time! It’s not in the books; it’s not in the scripts – it’s just me having fun with props.

But I like your theory.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

May 31, 2014 10:00 pm  #4

Hugh Laurie does the same thing on House. A lot of the twiddling on House is improvised but some of the more elaborate ones like the domino arrangement of stuff in his office (which takes up the whole office) is obviously set up but any time he's twirling his cane or generally doing something random with a prop is basically just Hugh being Hugh.

June 1, 2014 11:40 am  #5

It's not a deliberate decision, just pure Benedict. In ASiB commentary, whenever Sherlock twiddles things (Irene's phone, a gun, that pepper spray), Benedict exclaims, "Another twiddle. I've got to stop twiddling things!" 

But I'm not going to write it out of my mind beause it's not in the script. I mean, BC is Sherlock while filming. His behaviour becomes Sherlock's on set. So, I think he twiddles things for the same reason he just walks over the coffee table or strides around instead of normal walking, or jumps out of his seat instead of simply getting up. He's just energetic like that.

"The game is never over, John. But there may be some new players now. That's OK; the East Wind takes us all in the end."

June 17, 2014 2:51 pm  #6

Jasmine wrote:

But I'm not going to write it out of my mind beause it's not in the script. I mean, BC is Sherlock while filming. His behaviour becomes Sherlock's on set. So, I think he twiddles things for the same reason he just walks over the coffee table or strides around instead of normal walking, or jumps out of his seat instead of simply getting up. He's just energetic like that.

^^^ that

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 28, 2014 12:39 pm  #7

People with Aspergers/autism very commonly twiddle or fiddle with things in a repetitive way; it called a 'stim' and it has a calming effect on an active mind, helping with concentration and focus.  Many people not on the spectrum have similar habits, and for the same reasons. It would be entirely in keeping with this interpretation of Sherlock that he would have this behaviour.

Anyway, I think it's cool, especially when he tossed that spray can up in the air and said "Moron!" after taking out the American spy.  Keep it up, Bennie.  We love you!

July 28, 2014 12:54 pm  #8

Yes, but like he said, it is Benedict himself doing those things. Some aspects of his private personality went into the part. For example his tender behaviour towards Una Stubbs. This is Benedict being lovely with his mum's friend who has known him for ages. They kept it in because they liked it but it was not in the original script. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 29, 2014 9:43 pm  #9

Benedict twiddling.  Or is it fiddling?  http://youtu.be/njOydSzZH6M?t=27m14s  Also giggling. Also Tom Hardy.  I don't need a reason.

Last edited by Liberty (July 29, 2014 9:45 pm)

January 11, 2015 8:39 pm  #10

Benedict is a very fidgety person. The man has trouble sitting still. This tendancy has leaked into his performance as Sherlock, which goes very well with the fact that Sherlock is a very high energy character. (Making Benedict such a good choice of actor for Sherlock.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

January 11, 2015 8:43 pm  #11

Yeah, this is Ben fiddling. He even says so in a commentary: "I HAVE TO stop twiddling!"

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 11, 2015 9:13 pm  #12

Please never stop twidding Ben.  I like it when you twiddle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 10, 2015 6:36 pm  #13

So do I! 

Here's the twiddling I found (credit to Lupogun)...

When I heard Ben on the commentaries he did sound a bit embarrassed after seeing himself twiddle with things in his hands more than once.  Immediately I had the same reaction as you - please don't stop! 

-Val

Last edited by Ah-chie (February 10, 2015 8:17 pm)

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

Board footera