BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 9, 2012 11:29 pm  #1

Sherlock Holmes Week (30th July - 5th Aug 2012)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 10, 2012 12:41 am  #2

Re: Sherlock Holmes Week (30th July - 5th Aug 2012)

I only have one question.  What is Steampunk?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 10, 2012 1:55 am  #3

Steampunk
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the genres of fiction and associated sub-culture. For other uses, see Steampunk (disambiguation).

Steampunk is a genre which originated during the 1980s and early 1990s and incorporates elements of science fiction, fantasy, alternate history, horror, and speculative fiction. It involves a setting where steam power is widely used—whether in an alternate history such as Victorian era Britain or "Wild West"-era United States, or in a post-apocalyptic time —that incorporates elements of either science fiction or fantasy. Works of steampunk often feature anachronistic technology, or futuristic innovations as Victorians might have envisioned them, based on a Victorian perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, and art. This technology includes such fictional machines as those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or the contemporary authors Philip Pullman, Scott Westerfeld and China Mieville.
Other examples of steampunk contain alternative history-style presentations of such technology as lighter-than-air airships, analog computers, or such digital mechanical computers as Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace's Analytical Engine.
Steampunk also refers to art, fashion, and design that are informed by the aesthetics of Steampunk literature.[1] Various modern utilitarian objects have been modded by individual artisans into a pseudo-Victorian mechanical "steampunk" style, and a number of visual and musical artists have been described as steampunk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 10, 2012 8:01 pm  #4

Oh......thanks Kazza.  It sounds a little complicated and not really "my area".  I'd have to take a look at a good example of the genre I guess to really get a grasp.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 10, 2012 8:54 pm  #5

Helena Bonham Carter does quite a good 'steam punk ' look IMO.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 24, 2012 4:34 pm  #6

Just for reference next year's Sherlock Holmes week will be 29th July-4 August 2013.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 24, 2012 4:59 pm  #7

Hmm, I wonder if we'll have had Series 3 by then, or maybe we'll just be getting ready for it!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera