BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 20, 2012 1:03 am  #1

Homeless Network

I posted this on my Tumblr, but since I've only just created a Tumblr no-one is looking at it lol

I'm curious why nearly all of the theories I've seen posted so far take it as a given that the homeless network is involved in SH faking his death. He's already commented that they are "much more lax about taking bribes" so presumably he knows he can't necessarily trust them to keep the secret. Why would he use them? And why are people so convinced that he did? Unless he's just working on the assumption that no-one will be asking the right questions?

Thoughts?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

March 20, 2012 9:56 am  #2

Re: Homeless Network

What is your Tumblr? Mine is iamsherlocked2012 ! I'll follow you...

With regard to Homeless Network...I just don't see how he could have done it without extra help, not just Molly or Mycroft. Immediately after the fall there's a bunch of people gathered round him most of them doing a bad job at pretending to be paramedics (ie. just throwing him onto the stretcher any old way instead of giving him a neck brace or something)...but doing a good job at stopping John from getting suspicious that Sherlock might be alive - there's the person who removes John's hand from Sherlock's pulse for example. And not forgetting the guy who knocked John over with his bike. Also, I don't believe that Sherlock would manage to fall into the dumpster truck without having to take a running jump from the roof which only leaves the explanation that he must have fell into some kind of landing net which would obviously have to be held/operated by someone. And someone who could then scrunch it up and throw it into the truck before it drove off thereby removing the evidence from the scene.

Basically there a just too many factors that involve other people. It might not neccessarily be the Homeless Network...it could be people arranged by Mycroft I suppose...but seeing as it's already been set up that he has these contacts and that he's used them before...it seems quite likely that it could be them. They would all have to be paid to take part of course!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 20, 2012 11:50 am  #3

I guess my issue with all that is that sometimes its more that the ACTORS aren't trained medical professionals rather than the characters. We're all looking so closely at these little procedural details but it IS just a TV show and these things are often poorly portrayed. There just may have been no reason, dramatically, to bother with the spinal board. I dunno. It does seem like the most plausible explanation though (for how the death was faked I mean)

My Tumblr is ... tho maybe I should make a Sherlock one lol

Edit: changed my Tumblr to a fandom one: drwholocked

Last edited by sioneld (March 20, 2012 11:46 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 20, 2012 12:22 pm  #4

It's not a TV show it's real! Lol, joke. Sometimes I do forget though. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 20, 2012 1:56 pm  #5

Historically, Sherlock has relied on the Homeless network/Baker street people. While he said they are more open to taking bribes, that doesn't necessarily mean the select ones that he trusts would 'sell him out'. It's one of the features of the whole Holmes thing; the street people are loyal to him. They would know that he is alive and would stay loyal as he would have to use their services again and again while hiding.
It's sometimes odd to find that street people have a stronger moral code than the average banker or politician, lol.

And let's face it, if Mycroft set up the 'fall' Sherlock would have been seen wafting off in teh breeze holding an umbrella 'Mary Poppins" style!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 20, 2012 2:08 pm  #6

LOL. So Mycroft.

March 20, 2012 11:47 pm  #7

sioneld wrote:

tho maybe I should make a Sherlock one lol

changed my Tumblr to a fandom one: drwholocked. About to start moving stuff across

March 21, 2012 4:29 pm  #8

I actually think that Sherlock's quip about the Homeless Network being more relaxed about taking bribes is actually meant to suggest that some of the police ARE actually relaxed about taking bribes, or that some are bribable.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera