BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2015 8:45 pm  #321

Re: Benedict's Engagement

I was shocked when I started stumbling into the Sophie hate and fake engagement and pregnancy conspiracy theories out there.  How ridiculous, inane, juvenile and mean. Ben and SH are both in "The Business", are gorgeous together, are apparently ready for parenthood at this stage of their lives, and are sure to compliment each other in their future endeavors. Viva la match!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 14, 2015 10:45 pm  #322

besleybean wrote:

I am certain Benedict has the sense to ignore the idiot side of the fandom.

And if he doesn't, then he better get some, somewhere, because those idiots don't deserve the death of two brain cells it might take to give them a thought.

Same goes with dealing with the paps-- he's gotta face reality and protect himself and Sophie and the baby, wherever and whenever he can. Perhaps the recent unpleasant scene at LAX may have finally convinced him of what he needs to do in that department. I hope so.

January 15, 2015 6:51 am  #323

Huh?
I hope it wouldn't put him off taking Sophie with him, because I'm sure he won't want to be apart from her.
There may come a time when they have to be separated for a short period, 
The only thing with the pregnancy now, is that it probably came after this year's schedule was organised,
Otherwide I'm sure Benedict would have planned paternity leave...but at least he is London bound at the birth time and the months afterwards, pretty much.

Last edited by besleybean (January 15, 2015 6:51 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 23, 2015 7:54 am  #324

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 23, 2015 8:54 am  #325

Oh, that would be lovely for them! You know, he seems so the old-fashion gentleman that I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to make her an "honorable woman" before the baby was born.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 23, 2015 9:39 am  #326

Sorry but this concept of "honour" makes me as a woman kind of sick.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 23, 2015 9:40 am  #327

Haha, I know. It's pretty out-dated. But Ben seems like a traditional gentleman (not to say that he has an old-fashioned or negative view on women). 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 23, 2015 9:58 am  #328

Oh, lovely!  Valentine's Day, do ya suppose? Feb 14 is a Saturday this year.

January 23, 2015 10:01 am  #329

Harriet wrote:

Not me. At least here in the US, marriage protects the woman, legally and financially. And I don't think the idea of honor is old-fashioned. It  might be an ancient idea, but sometimes ancient things, the things that last, are the best. Hey, I'm an ancient thing, I ought to know!  heh

January 23, 2015 10:20 am  #330

ancientsgate wrote:

Harriet wrote:

Not me. At least here in the US, marriage protects the woman, legally and financially. And I don't think the idea of honor is old-fashioned. It  might be an ancient idea, but sometimes ancient things, the things that last, are the best. Hey, I'm an ancient thing, I ought to know!  heh

This sentence makes me into a blood red feminist. But I guess that is because I come from Norway, where women can fend for themselves legally and financially, and it's been decades since they needed a man and a marriage to do that for them. Just the very idea of such a thing makes me ill. 

Team Hudders!

January 23, 2015 10:39 am  #331

Vhanja, I think what ag mentioned is a mutual caring for the partner that can now also be found in same sex partnerships, where it is legalized that is to say. ( That is one reason why it's important to legalize them, so same sex partners can take care of each other with the same rights). Personally I don't consider myself a feminist, because in an ideal world gender shouldn't really matter. I was lucky enough to never have to experience disadvantages because I'm a woman. But I work in a profession where there are hardly men left anymore. Tbh, at the moment I would wish very much we had a couple around....
15 years ago I got pregnant without being married. When my then boyfriend and now hubby said he would marry me before giving birth I didn't want to. I found this not the best reason to marry. But actually you can avoid a bit of paperwork, as your hubby doesn't need to fill out pages of paternity declarations.  And I got a proper proposal and a wonderful wedding anyway.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 23, 2015 12:02 pm  #332

I don´t think there´s a need to argue about that since original article didn´t imply anything of the sort.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 23, 2015 1:31 pm  #333

TOPIC?

Ben's engagemed and going to be a fathert!  How are we feeling about that? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 23, 2015 1:40 pm  #334

Sorry we got sidetracked,MOD...
And I'm feeling very well 

Last edited by mrshouse (January 23, 2015 1:41 pm)

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 23, 2015 2:02 pm  #335

OOOOh, I feel all powerful all of a sudden. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 23, 2015 3:42 pm  #336

I'm very happy about an engagement and impending fatherhood for someone who has often voiced the desire for a meaningful relationship and many children.

And, IF that story is true (a big "if," of course, with no verified source), then all I can read into it is that they'd like to be married already, and whyever not? Maybe they can sideslip some media attention.

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

January 23, 2015 3:49 pm  #337

A Valentines wedding would be such a romantic idea!

Awh! 

I'm so happy for them!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 23, 2015 4:09 pm  #338

Very, very happy, indeed!

“Four serial suicides and now a note! It’s Christmas!” -Sherlock

January 23, 2015 5:08 pm  #339

Oh, I could go and see them get married.
Except I wouldn't .
Christian wedding, hey?
And in Edinburgh's St Giles cathedral?
The mother kirk of presbyterianism.
So obviously for Sophie and not Benedict....
And whatever happened to small and private?!
I hope we don't see any white...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 23, 2015 6:25 pm  #340

I don't care a whit about whatever arrangements they've made regarding wedding venue, choice of clothing, etc. They can do what they like. I AM pleased they're getting married, because I'm a pretty traditionally-minded person, but that's none of my business either.  I think he wants us all to leave them alone, which of course is impossible, given his current degree of celebrity, but I'm still going to try, much as I'm able, to avoid speculation about them. I hope.

Board footera