BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 23, 2012 3:27 pm  #1

Meeting vague Sherlock fans

Have you ever met people in real life who have seen Sherlock once when it first aired and "quite enjoyed it" but haven't seen it again since and aren't as obsessed as you are? And if so, don't you find it really amusing the way they have a vague knowledge of the show but miss out on some vital items.

Example:

A friend of a friend came round to the house and I was basically being rude and ignoring everyone sitting on my computer in the corner. To make this easier to read I'll write it out like a script:

THEM: What are you doing?
ME: I'm on the Sherlock message board.
THEM: The what?
ME: The Sherlock message board. I run my own Sherlock message board.
THEM: Sherlock Holmes?
ME: Yep.
THEM: Hey did you see any of that new series they brought out?
ME: Yeah that's what the message board's all about.
THEM: It was really good wasn't it?
ME: Amazing.
THEM: Did you see that last episode?
ME: Yep.
THEM: I didn't really get it though.
(Now I look up from the computer for the first time...mildly interested in what they're saying)
ME: Oh right...what didn't you get?
THEM: Well at the end when John's in the graveyard and Sherlock's there too.
ME: Yeah?
THEM: Is he like...a ghost or something?
ME: Err..No.
THEM: But he jumped off that building didn't he? And then John's visiting his grave...so he's dead.
ME: Yeah but he's not actually dead though is he?
THEM: What?
ME: I mean...he faked his own death.
THEM: Oh my God really?!
ME: Yeah.
THEM: How did he do that?
ME: That's one of the things we discuss on the message board. There's lots of different theories.

Honest to God...ordinary people really are stupid.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 23, 2012 5:51 pm  #2

Re: Meeting vague Sherlock fans

I'm surrounded by vague Sherlock fans in my office - some of them watched and enjoyed series one, at least parts of it ("Oh sorry, I fell asleep during "The Great Game" and: "I liked the Blind Banker best - it was at least a decent crime story."), and they have little understanding (and a lot of mocking) for me. But I don't care. I've got a shock blanket sticker at my printer, a Moriartea tin with teabags on my shelf and changing Sherlock screensavers.
Maybe they will be encouraged to watch series 2 in May? I'm working on it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 23, 2012 6:01 pm  #3

Wow, it really is ridiculous how little people pay attention these days. Why watch it if you aren't even going to bother with paying attention?

@tobeornot221b, :O How could someone fall asleep during The Great Game?? I would die in my sleep from the suspense! I love that you have a "Moriartea" tin to store your tea. XD That's awesome, haha, I want one! Tea is amazing...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DON'T PANIC

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - A.C. Doyle

March 23, 2012 6:22 pm  #4

And I think my workmates considered me completely crazy after I came back from London two weeks ago.
"Well, what did you do there then, shopping, sightseeing?"
"Erm...not exactly, I went to the theatre to see 'The Recruiting Officer'..."
"The WHAT?"
"And I was taking photographs of St. Bart's hospital..."
"Photos of WHAT?"
"...and I had a cup of tea at 'Speedy's...and I emptied HMV by buying some interesting DVDs" (the titles were meaningless for them, of course!)
"A well...I hope the weather was nice at least..."
("Moron!" )

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 24, 2012 3:09 am  #5

"THEM: Is he like...a ghost or something?"

*falls to the floor laughing uncontrollably*

awesome, no-one could make that up!! just made my day!

July 24, 2012 6:08 am  #6

I love all your stories, guys. So far I only got stupid questions like "What is it about this series?" when wearing my "Best quotes of series 1 t-shirt". And a very good friend of mine still doesn't like Ben as Sherlock although she watched the original version, not the German one. Well, in some cases it's hopeless, I guess. But I wont't give up  .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 24, 2012 10:34 am  #7

No-one I know in RL has the slightest interest in Sherlock, that's why I come here for intelligent conversation. Most people are idiots.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

July 24, 2012 10:44 am  #8

Whereas on this board we're all totally rational, balanced human beings! (Myself included!) 

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

July 24, 2012 11:03 am  #9

Molly Hooper wrote:

Whereas on this board we're all totally rational, balanced human beings! (Myself included!) 

Spot on, Molly!

I actually only know one person in real life who has seen the series, although lots of people have read Sherlock Holmes stories or seen other film/TV adaptions, of course.
When I ask my friends if they have seen the new series, most of them think I am talking about the two films with Robert Downey Jr.
That is why I come here...

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

July 24, 2012 12:16 pm  #10

A lot of people seem to sleepwalk through life, telly is something undemanding to sit in front of.

The phrase " Don't you see?!" would spring to my  mind if I had to even start to explain what Sherlock is doing in a graveyard watching John at his headstone, why the letters of his name appear across John's chest, let alone why he might leave John out of the loop at times.

Can you feel the sense of isolation when you see the details and people don't get it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

July 24, 2012 1:11 pm  #11

Yes, there is a reason why I frequent this forum. It is rife with intelligent, logical people, who share an intense interest in Sherlock. I have little tolerance for most people that I come by through location/circumstance, but a certain type of person is attracted to the forum.

Back on topic: I don't know anyone who has seen Sherlock in real life, unfortunately...except someone who I persuaded to watch the show, but he doesn't take a serious interest in it. I watched A Study in Pink with him because he didn't understand what was going on and I had to explain at times.

July 24, 2012 1:23 pm  #12

You know, I'd have to say no I haven't had this problem.
People either 'get it' or they don't. It's pretty easy to spot a fan in a conversation so I steer clear of others with no idea.I don't have the patience to deal with twits.

But reality should come through also; not everyone is a Sherlock fan. And just because they are not doesn't mean they are stupid. We all find beauty in different things.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 24, 2012 5:09 pm  #13

True! Although that doesn't mean we shouldn't try and convert them.

The other day I spotted someone wearing quite a cool Sherlock type coat. I complimented them on it and said it was a bit like Sherlock's, and he automatically turned up his collar! It was one of those moments. Love it.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 24, 2012 7:20 pm  #14

Recently had many good Sherlock recs (recognitions), which I'll describe elsewhere, but one really puzzled me. A woman, seeing my "I AM SHERLOCKED" t-shirt, asked me which one. I said, "Which one what?" And she said, "Which Sherlock do you like?" I explained and she said that she agreed that the series was really good. If she had seen it, how did she not know which Sherlock it referred to?

Anyway, everybody has different interests and I don't disdain people who don't like the show or haven't seen it. (Pity them, yes, but disdain, no.) There are lots of things other people like that I'm not into, but I don't think I'm an idiot -- even if Sherlock thinks most people are.

I love the collar story.

July 25, 2012 12:16 am  #15

Oh god yes, so many encounters like that. It's disappointing because I get so excited when I talk to someone who knows Sherlock and then they... didn't really pay attentention or thought about it and I really can't understand how they could not do that. Like, who the hell could watch Reichenbach and not make up the craziest theories afterwards?
How can you just... accept it?

Yeah, well.

Okay, this wasn't too bad, at least she thought about it, but a friend of mine said after Reichenbach:
Friend: "So he didn't jump."
And I'm like: "Yeah, yeah he did. You saw him juming, didn't you?"
Friend: "But he's alive."
Me: "Well... yes, and we have to find out how he did it. But we won't know until season 3."

July 25, 2012 8:32 am  #16

I don't think it is surprising that people watch the show, yet do not get as excited about as us. It's a question of taste, but even more so I'd say it is a question of how you watch a show. It is hard to fully appreciate something if you only see bits and pieces, or watch it at odd hours (which would be the case for most people in Austria and Germany, because it was shown on late night TV).

I remember catching a few random episodes of the sci-fi show Farscape on TV years back (it was on after something else that I actually wanted to watch), and for a long time I thought that the end of S3 was the end of the whole series. The cliffhanger ending did not hugely bother me, because I wasn't all that interested. It only was years later when I came across the show again and properly watched it from start to finish, that I realised how much I liked it and how important that cliff hanger scene really was.

I guess many people feel the same way about Sherlock. If you don't know the structure and writing of the show that well, there could be lots of simple reasons for Sherlock being alive in the last scene - maybe John dreamt it all, maybe he has a twin brother, maybe he has supernatural powers (there are so many TV shows out there at the moment which blend genres, a flying Sherlock Holmes would not be the wierdest thing I've seen)?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

Board footera