BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2015 7:19 pm  #61

Re: Do we agree with the Radio Times ranking?

Yes, a theme of Chinese criminal organisation is used, but aside from that, Chinese people were portrayed as quite intelligent, the portrayal of their tea ceremony at the beginning of the story was quite interesting and it was in no way implied that every Chinese is a criminal, that these people are bad solely because of their "evil Asian way" or similar stuff... only that a criminals this time happen to be Chinese (just like Moriarty happens to be Irish, without any insult being aimed at actual Irish people).

When I compare this episode with the British movie "Borat", for example, which crapped all over Kazakh culture without knowing a single thing about it... or with an American movie "Hostel" which depicted my homecountry as hellhole where we catch poor Western tourists and torture and kill them for fun... I see TBB as a mild cup of tea next to a litre of absinth. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 17, 2015 9:51 pm  #62

Tbh, the episode never struck me as racist until I read about it online. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 17, 2015 9:54 pm  #63

It's not racist, just a bit stereotyped. I just didn't like it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 19, 2015 12:26 am  #64

I think in a way ASIP is a defining episode because it's the first.
And Susi, HLV being second place shows that the quality and enthusiasm from the very beginning is still there.
And really, how many series can claim that.

This was interesting, even if only for fun.

And can I just say it once more, I quite like TBB :-) As I have said elsewhere, it took me the longest from all to appreciate, but once I had watched it as many times as the other episodes, I started loving it a lot. I definitely prefer it to TEH.
(edited to say: right now. that might change, because I'm not quite finished with the learning process of TEH appreciation....)

Oh, and I also don't like stereotypes. I just thought about it... maybe I can get my chinese flatmates to watch TBB. Would be interesting to hear their opinion.

I also often find that stereotypes have some truth in them. But not everytime. Sometimes it's clear they are rubbish.

Last edited by Whisky (January 19, 2015 12:45 am)

"It is what it is."

January 19, 2015 3:07 am  #65

Whisky wrote:

And can I just say it once more, I quite like TBB :-) As I have said elsewhere, it took me the longest from all to appreciate, but once I had watched it as many times as the other episodes, I started loving it a lot. I definitely prefer it to TEH.
(edited to say: right now. that might change, because I'm not quite finished with the learning process of TEH appreciation....)

Interesting thought Whisky.  And just by coincidence I happened the other day to be re-watching The Empty Hearse (it wasn't one of the episodes that I would pick as my absolute favourites) and found myself really enjoying it. 

I actually clicked on it by accident (I wanted to watch TSoT again) but after a few minutes I found I just couldn't stop watching it.  Not for the case.  It was the beautiful interplay of characters - John and Mrs. Hudson talking about the disconnect between them since Sherlock was gone - really just a way to say how much they both missed him, Sherlock and Mycroft bantering back and forth as he is groomed back to his former self after being rescued from being beaten and of course the prolonged scene between John and Sherlock when they finally meet again.  The introduction of Mary was so well done too IMO. 

I just really loved the whole dynamic of all the cast together. 

It will never be an absolute favourite of mine but I was struck by how mesmerising it was once it started and how I just couldn't turn away from all those lovely characterisations up there on the screen.

And now thanks to your post I'll have to give TBB another go-round sometime soon too!

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

January 19, 2015 7:38 am  #66

TEH is actually one of my favorites, for the reasons you mention, Ah-chie. I love the emotional dynamics between the characters. I love Sherlock returning, I love the reunion (in most scenes between Sherlock and John, Sherlock eclipses the scene altogether because he is the type of person who demands the attention of everyone. Ben is the type of person, and actor, who can do that. But in the reunion, for the first time, it's John who runs the scene, and I love it! Not to mention Martin's acting in this scene, which is just a wonder to watch).

I love getting to know Mary, she is a great character in TEH, I love John going from angry to looking happy when he thinks it's Sherlock in disguise! I love Sherlock not getting John out of his head, the scenes with him and Molly... and I adore the scene between him and Mycroft, it tells us so much and is wonderful to see them together as brothers like that, Sherlock being the one teaching Mycroft something.

I love the music throughout this episode, the bonfire scene, Sherlock's parents! - and, yes, even though it's horrible, I love the tram scene.

The case itself wasn't the point of the episode for me either, it was all the fantastic character interactions that make this episode one of my favs.

Last edited by Vhanja (January 19, 2015 7:40 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 19, 2015 12:41 pm  #67

Bingo Vhanja!  Spot on with all your observations.  I love the bones of the plots on the show (I have always loved the ACD stories from childhood) but it is the "meat" of the characters and their wonderful interactions that keeps me perpetually fed on this show.  And even a less gourmet episode like TEH has such wonderful displays of characterizations that I can feel completely nourished whenever I view it. 

Gosh, now I am hungry!!  

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

January 19, 2015 12:47 pm  #68

Ah-chie wrote:

Bingo Vhanja! Spot on with all your observations. I love the bones of the plots on the show (I have always loved the ACD stories from childhood) but it is the "meat" of the characters and their wonderful interactions that keeps me perpetually fed on this show. And even a less gourmet episode like TEH has such wonderful displays of characterizations that I can feel completely nourished whenever I view it.

Gosh, now I am hungry!!

-Val

Haha, I just realised today that I have Sherlock cravings because it's been over a week since I saw HLV and finished my fifth (or sixth?) rewatch of the show, so I need to start over again soon. 

Team Hudders!

Board footera