BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2015 1:55 pm  #41

Re: Oscars

Thanks, Ivy! 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 15, 2015 1:55 pm  #42

YES!!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 15, 2015 2:09 pm  #43

Great news I wish Ben good luck although being nominated is already big victory

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

January 15, 2015 2:14 pm  #44

Great news! Good luck, Benedict! 

January 15, 2015 2:58 pm  #45

Only Grand Budapest Hotel and Birdman got more nominations (9).  Both were excellent movies so they deserved multiple nominations IMO.

But that being said I am SO happy that The Imitation Game got 8 noms!  That's great recognition and will help the movie at the box office I think.  I would LOVE, Love, love if Ben won Best Actor (but I realise it might not happen).  His performance in TIG was stellar and he certainly would deserve the win if it did come about.  I still am haunted with the immensity of his role and how well he carried it from the opening lines to the ending scene.  The man's capacity and talent has boundless energy and scope.  If he doesn't win my only comfort will be that with the talent he has demonstrated so far it is plain to see that he destined to achieve more such successes in the future.  

His two biggest competitors have to be ER and MK I would think. 

I haven't seen The Theory of Everything (I would have liked to but it never came to my city) but I have seen Birdman and Keaton was excellent in it.  I haven't seen American Sniper and I really don't know if I will... I don't really like Bradley Cooper as an actor (I have seen him in American Hustle and Silver Linings Playbook and to me he is OK but kind of ... meh as an actor) so there isn't much appeal for that one for me.  Foxcatcher... I probably will see it on Netflix sometime but it doesn't excit me much either - nothing against SC or any of the actors in it though.

I am also glad Keira Knightley got a nod in the Best Supporting category.  That is a tough category (any category with Meryl Streep in it is bound to be).  I loved Emma Stone in Birdman - she was absolutely luminous in a mostly unlikable role.  But KK is still my fav of all the nominees there.  She helped the audience to connect with Turing on a very universal level and that's not just good writing, it is also what being a talented actor can do with a well-written role. 

I am over the moon that the movie itself got a Best Picture nom, that Morten Tyldum got a nod for Best Director and that the movie got other major nominations - Best Original Score, best Production Design, best Adapted Screenplay and Best Film Editiing.  All are high profile nominations and are deserved.     

-Val

Last edited by Ah-chie (January 15, 2015 3:35 pm)

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

January 15, 2015 3:05 pm  #46

So happy that the film gets so much recognition. Eight nominations in important categories, this is awesome. And I am very gladd about Morten Tyldum's nomination as well after him having been snubbed so often. And of course I am very proud of Benedict. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 15, 2015 3:48 pm  #47

Congrats to Benedict for his Oscar nomination
And lovely of Louise Brealey to tweet in acknowledgement of it
I have to be honest and say I think the award will go to Eddie Redmayne but Benedict has done so well to be nominated
Eight nominations for the Movie is fantastic!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

January 15, 2015 4:11 pm  #48

This has made my entire year!! I am so proud and so happy!

No matter if they win or not, this is an honour in itself! 

I'll have the best Birthday EVER! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 15, 2015 4:27 pm  #49

Quote from Benedict, from Sherlock set:

“I am knocked for six by this. So excited and honoured to receive this recognition. It’s wonderful to be included by the academy in this exceptional year of performances. To ring my parents who are both actors and tell them that their only son has been nominated for an Oscar is one of the proudest moments of my life”

I think I might start crying here. He's such a lovely person. *sniff*

Last edited by Vhanja (January 15, 2015 4:27 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 15, 2015 4:48 pm  #50

Aaawh he's sweet like that isn't he!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 15, 2015 4:50 pm  #51

I think he should take Mum and Dad to the ceremony!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 15, 2015 5:02 pm  #52

Let me just say that this have been a dream year for Ben. Became an A-lister in a matter of two years, gotten A-roles, got engaged, going to be a father, got a GG nomination and now an Oscar nomination for a role that he is very engaged in. 

He has worked so hard, and is so talented. And 2014/2015 he is harvesting the fruit of all his hard labour, and I can't tell you how happy I am for him, and how much I think he has deserved every one of his accomplisments.

Team Hudders!

January 15, 2015 5:23 pm  #53

I, too, think Michael Keaton will win--the Academy voters adore a good comeback--but it's a lovely and well-deserved "welcome to the A-list" nod. (And of course anything can happen!)

Last edited by REReader (January 15, 2015 5:24 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

January 15, 2015 5:29 pm  #54

Delighted at the noms!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 15, 2015 6:10 pm  #55

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 15, 2015 6:17 pm  #56

Louise is awesome!

Team Hudders!

January 15, 2015 6:17 pm  #57

Sweet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 15, 2015 7:12 pm  #58

Awesome!!!!!!   (and also 'awwww', Louise and Ben.  love 'em)   

Hey, awesome to see everyone buzzed about this, but kinda cutely funny too… what about any mention of our other favorite, The Hobbit?  Anything there?  (although yeah, can see the other 'deep' movies being more 'Oscar-y' material)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 15, 2015 7:39 pm  #59

I think it was only nominated for best sound mixing. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 15, 2015 7:51 pm  #60

Awwwww 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

Board footera